homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - super powers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - super powers
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 10:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you could pick - leap tall buildings, regenerate, etc Yes what hero would you be or create your own!

1. If you could have a super power, which one would you have?
2. What would be your supername?
3. Who would be your arch-nemesis and what would be their superpower?
4. Who would be your sidekick and would they have a superpower?
5. What would be your motto?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 11:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

"A" super power. Is immortality considered a superpower? If not then I want Brainiacs mental abilities.

I'd leave it up to the media to name me

The Justice league would be my arch nemisi

Some hot chick and yes. (Am I the only that finds male sidekicks a bit gay?)

Bow before me for I am root.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 12:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Invisibility.

I wouldn't have one.

Their name would be Paintman. You fill in the blanks.

Talkeetna the flying guinea pig

"I was never here."

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 12:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, moving on to Saturday Five ... [Wink]

Hm, I don't know how this counts, but I'd like to be a powerful mage...

As a kid it was the Great Mystico. I don't know that I'd still want to use that unless I wanted to put on real acts of making bottles vanish inside tubes. If I could do that I'd probably do it at supermarkets ... more wine for me ... :>

j/k.

I think nicknames and pet names are something that should be left to your peers to choose for you. "Lumpy" does not count ...

I dunno. I am sure I'd make a lot of enemies though but mostly I'd be up against automatic pistols ...

Hm. I'd love a pet spider. Maybe a giant pet spider. Except it would be so unspeakably terrifying ... oh wait. That sounds useful :>

I like the 100% rule but that's got nothing to do with magic ...

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 13:27      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to be a hero, because i rather be a villain. Because when the name super hero is mentioned usually the names superman, batman, spiderman, are the first to pop in my head and they tend to be the one's though great to come of a little gay and are the one's which are like the standard super hero figure.

1. Umm super power, I would go with being the master of the force since it is the only really overall good super power.

2. As for name i would be fine with "darth ..." something,

3. No nemesis

4. No sidekick because they usually just get in the way.

5. .............

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 13:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wanted to be a timelord, but they use a tardis. Not sure that counts as a superpower.
Romanadvoratrelundar. I could escape as they tried to say it.
Not sure
A cute guy with a Feynman brain and a DigitalBill kilt.
Je Suis Pres

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 13:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time Lord science is extremely complicated. The interface and relationship between and a Time Lord and a TARDIS is almost symbiotic and it is reputed that TARDES (I had to [Razz] ) are grown and not constructed.

But yes, all of it is rooted in science fiction. Technically, even magic power doesn't count as superhero power is pretty much separate even to the realm of magic.

And the Force itself seems to be science fiction, not fantasy, since it's all about minichlorinetablets or something. Helps sterilise the universe's gene pool... Oh wait, that's the whole Jedis can't get laid thing.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 14:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
And the Force itself seems to be science fiction, not fantasy, since it's all about minichlorinetablets or something. Helps sterilise the universe's gene pool... Oh wait, that's the whole Jedis can't get laid thing.

ROTFL!

That does raise an important question.

If Force-power runs in families and Jedi aren't supposed to get laid, how does Force-power run in families?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted October 07, 2006 14:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!!

hm...

(Edit!)

Actually, something not often addressed ... In the future, there will be no illness, no aging, no death, and no poor health; we'll all be pretty much immortal. So if we never get old, we'll keep on having kids forever and ever... ("Planet full error shagging on Drive A: - Please insert a blank colony to continue")

At the same time, fantastic robots will be ubiquitous and AI will have greatly surpassed organic intellect, so the universe will take care of itself, leaving living people to stay in bed all day, bonking and breeding like rabbits.

So ... The future is very definitely Orange.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 15:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind control.... plenty of scope for last-minute escapes from tricky situations!

Something vague and nebulous...The Visitor...The Wanderer..("They call me The Wanderer, Yeah Yeah, The Wanderer, I roam around round round round round")

George Bush - and his freaky ability to convince people that he is human.

I wouldn't have a single permanent sidekick, but interesting individuals would appear from time to time and stick around for just one adventure.

I think that something similar has already been claimed, but - the family motto is "Tout Pret" which, if you had met Mrs Grummash, you would realise is ironic in the extreme. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 19:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
LOL!!

hm...

(Edit!)

Actually, something not often addressed ... In the future, there will be no illness, no aging, no death, and no poor health; we'll all be pretty much immortal. So if we never get old, we'll keep on having kids forever and ever... ("Planet full error shagging on Drive A: - Please insert a blank colony to continue")

At the same time, fantastic robots will be ubiquitous and AI will have greatly surpassed organic intellect, so the universe will take care of itself, leaving living people to stay in bed all day, bonking and breeding like rabbits.

So ... The future is very definitely Orange.

Wow, It looks like you have this all figured out. But one tiny flaw exists. If you are a sterotype geek then you won't have any one to breed with and secondly where is the internet in this whole scenario? it wouldn't be bad if the world is run by super intelligent robots but if there is no other technology or at least a technology farm where all the geeks can live then it wouldn't be the scenario for me.

And as for the jedi getting laid or not thing. There is one simple answer and i think all the visual thinkers out here would agree. Which is who wants to think about yoda or some jedi getting laid except for you uilleann because we all know you love to think about these creapy kind of things. jk.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 20:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said anything about stereotypical geeks or in fact any geeks or any class or subculture. Where did that come into it?

There are worse sex scenarios to consider than Yoda or Ewan McGregor. Your parents for example, imagine them having sex. Or your grandmother, picture her having sex. Disturbing eh? And consider this bash.org quotation -- frightening huh?

I think I've just cost you your sanity; I hope it wasn't expensive to replace...

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 20:21      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Shape-Shifter is first on the list... I would probably just say "Quantum Controll" and use that to get what I want and 'Quantum Shift' the original power away leaving me with just the ones I want though.

2. §†eal†h - That is all you need to know.

3. Big story here that is more appropriate for either a book or an RP Chat... mabey later.

4. I can't allow myself to risk the life of a sidekick... Good ones die to easy and bad ones don't die soon enough but I am not in the position to say which is which.

5. I have many...The top one is: "The body makes scars to prove that we can survive our own stupidity."

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 13:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The power that would be most effective would be telekinetics. This would allow for flight, simulated super strength, super speed, changing temperature of surrounding air or objects, and floating, flinging, stopping, crushing, or ripping apart objects without touching them. Telekinesis would also allow for being able to contain or adjust the flow of liquids and gases. I could also stop attacks so long as I can sense them coming. Size would not matter as it would just be a matter of will and practice. Furthermore, since light is considered both a particle and a wave, I would also probably be able to manipulate light by bending and separating it into various colors as well. So that opens up the possibility of invisibility, illusions, blinding light and blinding darkness. {Can you tell I have thought about this before??}

I'd let someone else do it.

I would have no arch-nemesis because I wouldn't want to give a villain the satisfaction of thinking that they gave me enough trouble for me to call them that.

I would have no sidekick.

I would not have a motto.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
1adam12
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5913

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 16:05      Profile for 1adam12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could pick - leap tall buildings, regenerate, etc Yes what hero would you be or create your own!

Speed of light

Pokey

Tom, that founder of Wendy's and his super tasty burgers that slow me down like kryptonite.

Michael Jackson would be my sidekick. He would hypnotize villains with crazy dance moves.

"I'll be right back"

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 16:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And consider this bash.org quotation -- frightening huh?

Thank you Uilleann, I needed a good laugh.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture