homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » It WAS "one small step for A man!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It WAS "one small step for A man!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 02, 2006 19:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Neil, I never doubted you. um. really. [blush]

High-tech detective work apparently has found the missing "a" in one of the most famous phrases ever spoken.

Astronaut Neil Armstrong's first words from the surface of the moon on July 20, 1969, now can be confidently recast, according to the research, as, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4225505.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 19:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave it to an Aussie to find the "a", eh?

I'd have thought all along it would have been a Canuk.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 20:28      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, maybe Ive just heard it without the a for most of my life (ok, all minus about a week), but I kinda like how it was, and not how it is (suppost to be).

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2006 21:19      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

[Wink]

CP

No wuckin' furries mate. We aim to please. [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 02, 2006 22:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may have been an Aussie who found the a, but he was using Canadian software eh? [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

The "a" was transmitted, though, and can be verified in an analysis using a Canadian sound editing software called GoldWave , Ford said.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 04:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

[Wink]

CP

No wuckin' furries mate. We aim to please. [Razz]
Exact. We just assumed the "a" was there, and let people believe what they wanted. [Big Grin]

(I know I've always thought it was there all along, but it might be because I'm francophone rather than because I'm canuck. I'm used to not understanding everything that is said and just fill in the blanks to make it fit with what I learned.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 03, 2006 08:24      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First relearning what Pluto is, now this?!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 09:00      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of the story of how Canada got it's name.

See the founding fathers and mothers where sitting around trying to come up with a name of this new country and decided to draw letters out of a bag. Like you would use for Scrabble. So they drew the first letter and the person calling them out called "C" eh and then "N" eh ...........

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 12:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now they need to find the original tapes of the first step. The broadcast on television was a camera pointed at a screen showing the feed from the moon. The originals were of better quality and NASA has lost them somehow. Also they were on a weird format and they're trying to find them so they can make them available. Moon Landing Tape Lost
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 12:32      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, but what it all comes down to is, does anyone really care? Yes it was a huge achievement for mankind but after that achievement we only went back to the moon a couple more times and then we just decided it was just another giant rock. eh. [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 21:11      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I've heard the original recording, it always sounded to *me* like it was "a man". Besides, that just grammatically makes way more sense. Now I'm vindicated! [Smile]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 21:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it obviously doesn't matter because it was all faked anyway. This link proves it beyond a doubt.

The Great Hoax Revealed!!

Lawyers flinch in the wake of this testimony.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 09:25      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Well, it obviously doesn't matter because it was all faked anyway. This link proves it beyond a doubt.

The Great Hoax Revealed!!

Lawyers flinch in the wake of this testimony.

Thats awesome. I couldn't stop laughing.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture