homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Apple under the Spotlight!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple under the Spotlight!
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 11 posted September 27, 2006 12:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget the pun in the title, Greenpeace are focussing on Apple in a new campaign - have a look at this!!!!

[Applause] [Eek!] [Applause] [Eek!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 13:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind the fact that new Apple hardware is supposed to be all ROHS compliant, and has been rather energy efficient for quite some time (with the exception of the G5)... and that Apple started a program to take back their hardware... other than that...sure, they're right on the money. [Razz]

Greenpeace is[/are.en_GB] bollocks. Nothing but a bunch of rabid dogs, burning dirty fuel to yell at people and put their lives at risk...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 13:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the pastiche was quite amusing... [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 14:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash___________________I am going to lift a joke I read else where about a hybred car owner driving his friends to distraction about all of the benifits of his green choice. He even exclaimed that there should be a special lane devoted to green lovers, one of his friends replied there already is one "its called the sidewalk".

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 07:35      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, at least they are not going "Lets boycott Apple!!!" - they are doing their campaign in good taste.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 13:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't mind greenpeace for the simple and only reason that they bring media attention to problematic isues in the world. But besides that they are a useless organization. They probally have the longest list of unfinished projects.

I say concentrate on one or two projects and stick with it. Don't try and change every company in the world to be more green. Do they honestly think they will convince apple to invest millions of dollars so that the work enviroment for couple hundred people is safer. Who is going to be affected by this change besides those 100 ppl? that's right no one.

Stop a mayor issue like the over fishing crisis or the hunting of whales so that ppl realize you aren't just a bunch of ppl who paddle their dingies in front of giant oil tankers. Once you get the respect then everything will fall into place easier.

finished!! thats my $ 0.02

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 18:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
so that ppl realize you aren't just a bunch of ppl who paddle their dingies in front of giant oil tankers
You must have missed my comment "Nothing but a bunch of rabid dogs, burning dirty fuel to yell at people and put their lives at risk... "

Greenpeace doesn't use dinghies (sp?) - they use a diesel boat that isn't terribly clean burning...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 19:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Nothing but a bunch of rabid dogs, burning dirty fuel to yell at people and put their lives at risk...

I dunno, anyone who annoys the french enough to get a state-terrorist squad sent to blow them up must be doing something right.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 17:10      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
so that ppl realize you aren't just a bunch of ppl who paddle their dingies in front of giant oil tankers
You must have missed my comment "Nothing but a bunch of rabid dogs, burning dirty fuel to yell at people and put their lives at risk... "

Greenpeace doesn't use dinghies (sp?) - they use a diesel boat that isn't terribly clean burning...

Now i was thinking about a couple months ago when the UN had to decide on what to do on whaling and the bbc showed video clips of greenpeace trying to stop a whaling ship with a dingie i don't remember what kind of engine they used but the whole thing was comical.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 02, 2006 11:51      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Greenpeace:
... shouldn't be cutting lives short by exposing children in China and India to dangerous chemicals.

[Roll Eyes]   Reading that was almost enough to make beer spew from my nose. I think the following would have been better:

quote:
In China, children work 12 hour days for little more than a bowl of rice. Chinese factories ignore common safety practices and expose children to dangerous chemicals and risks of physical injury. Furthermore, high levels of air pollution from coal burning power plants add to health hazards posed to children and the elderly. It's time for people to take a stand against this.

Protest Apple Computer! ... Thank you, Greenpeace

[Confused]   Of course, if China is owned by Apple, then their position is understandable.....

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture