homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Amusing time waster (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amusing time waster
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 18:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

I dunno ... To me, it's just sadness that another superior system has died at the feet of its rival. Thank goodness that ARM CPUs are still going strong though.

The up side should be that we can slowly ditch with endianness bullshit at last (anyone tried PPC Linux?) but given how much of a struggle it was for the Mac world to let go of Mac OS 9 (which people still use) now we have another hurdle to stumble over -- getting everyone off of PPC (heck, we've not got everyone off 68k yet).

Universal Binary IMO is a farce -- like Fat before it (anyone remember Fat binaries and Stripper?) and packages that contain both Carbon-for-9 and Carbon-for-X builds, it's a painful waste of bandwidth in a world that still has not got the cost effectiveness of it down.

But if I choose to finally ditch Firetrack(/Brunnhild) for a new Mac, I will have to decide between Intel and PPC. Intel will rule out running Classic and thus stop me using any of my collection of software from Firetrack, be it programs I have yet to find replacements for, or all the games I have on the Mac that I can't play right now because it's a server.

But PPC will mean I may not be able to buy a brand new machine -- at least with a new Mac I'd have a warranty, because Mac build quality is so poor. Macs scare me -- so many problems, although my old clone is nine years old now at least, it's been running almost 24 hours a day for several years now (aside from reboots/power cuts/occasional maintainence or being a host for the older iMac's drive during repairs to the iMac), and still works perfectly. Bless that old Mac, it's done so very well for such a cheap machine. Floppy drive seems to have gone, but I can live without that -- Winamage a copy of a disc using the PC, FTP it to the Mac and then mount the image on the Mac's desktop ;)

I thought that Mac OS X would be tough to swallow, but it's come a long way since 10.0. Brunnhild came with 10.0.4 and I was horrified at how bad it was compared to Tiger. But now I'm warming to living with Tiger, I have Intel vs PPC to contend with.

IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 00:38      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I like this better. [Wink]

That was one of those links that I conviently fogot/lost. I can't believe you just brought that back into my life.

Any chances for productivity today have been lost. [weep]

Thinking it would end when The circle didn't have enough room to add more blue circles i spent the afternoon solving 1-10. And then eleven came along and the circles started to overlap.
Wimp. [Wink]
/me has gotten to level 14 (_large_ pic), but while I could have gone further, I just didn't have the time to kill.

At a conference last year I had plenty of time to kill in boring plenary sessions:

http://www.acc.umu.se/~maswan/util/planarityl25.png

I think I got one or two more levels before I couldn't be bothered with any more (and the computer was horribly slow in dragging the points by that time).

To answer Xanthine's question, for me, I mostly did the levels in 1-2 sessions, perhaps with a break or two (depending on how boring the talks were, and when the breaks in the sessions were scheduled).

/Mattias Wadenstein

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 12:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. A follow up - I just tested it - Planarity takes under 1 minute to go to level 100 on the Mac Pro!!!

That's wickedly fast. [Big Grin]

I still don't recommend trying this experiment (especially if you have any important tabs open).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 13:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:
At a conference last year I had plenty of time to kill in boring plenary sessions:

I think I got one or two more levels before I couldn't be bothered with any more (and the computer was horribly slow in dragging the points by that time).

Man, you're lucky. My boss makes me takes notes and then grills me when I go to conferences. I just about got my head ripped off for not taking careful notes on a poster I saw, nevermind it's very borderline etiquette to stand in front of someone's poster and take notes. Especially when they are rivals... OTOH, he does let me just flat out bail on one session/conference.

I had to speak at a plenary session back in June. It was an evening session and half the audience was sleeping. This cooled my nerves but bummed me out at the same time - I worked hard on that talk and even harder on the data I was presenting. I'd much prefer it if they'd all been awake and playing planarity because then I could at least pretend that people cared. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 16:29      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:

Man, you're lucky. My boss makes me takes notes and then grills me when I go to conferences. I just about got my head ripped off for not taking careful notes on a poster I saw, nevermind it's very borderline etiquette to stand in front of someone's poster and take notes. Especially when they are rivals... OTOH, he does let me just flat out bail on one session/conference.

I had to speak at a plenary session back in June. It was an evening session and half the audience was sleeping. This cooled my nerves but bummed me out at the same time - I worked hard on that talk and even harder on the data I was presenting. I'd much prefer it if they'd all been awake and playing planarity because then I could at least pretend that people cared. :/

Now that's rude. If you can't stay awake, you should at least have the decency to leave the room.

And the policy from your boss seems tough. Some kind of sharing of new stuff from conferences etc would probably be good around here too, but we're such a small team that the things directly apply to, so we can just keep up with what we do and learn infomrally.

I don't really know about these conferences, we don't have those kinds of demands, and my participation is more out of a "it's good for the project to have good attendance" and a chance to meet up with everyone in the project, than actually going to learn much new things.

I wish I had interesting conferences to go to like yours. [Smile]

(Actually, sometimes I do, but then I pay attention and don't play planarity all the time. These are often small gatherings and called "meetings" instead though. Probably has something to do with me not being a scientist but doing infrastructure for scientists, learning or deciding by talking about new stuff in small groups rather than presentations in conferences.)

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 17:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been to two, and they had their ups and downs. I have to go to these things so I can meet people and convince them they want to hire me if/when I graduate. There wasn't much swag, but they did feed us lots and I saw some really nifty stuff.

The session I spoke in was the first night of the conference, it ran from 7:30-9:30 pm, almost everyone there had gone straight from the airport to the hall, and the vast majority were working through various degrees of jet-lag. I'd been around for several days already, so I didn't have jet lag. I still might have wilted, because I'd just come back from climbing Rainier and I was still in a caloric, sleep, and water deficit, except 1) this session was very pertinent to my field and 2) I was talking and therefore had some adrenaline going. But I agree, it is rude to sleep at someone's talk. I still do it sometimes, especially if I can't follow what's going on (like today's seminar; he had a soft voice and I had no idea what he was talking about so I just went into hibernate, complete with twitching [blush] ).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture