homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Amazingly gorgeous video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amazingly gorgeous video
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 18, 2006 11:09      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't describe it as anything other than beautiful.

http://aimediaserver.com/studiodaily/videoplayer/?src=harvard/harvard.swf&width=640&height=520

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 11:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I was sitting here watching that trying to identify the processes and organelles in the video.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 11:40      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a bit unnerving being a Biology student and not understanding what is going on... :S

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 18, 2006 11:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All it needs is Raquel Welch in a minature submarine. [Razz]

-

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 12:29      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:
Its a bit unnerving being a Biology student and not understanding what is going on... :S

I know one of the processes shown was manufacturing proteins from mRNA but that's about it for me.

This video really did make my day. It's so pretty.

[hearts]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 13:38      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
This video really did make my day. It's so pretty.

You're right, it's very pleasing to the eye, but I kept expecting to see Jacques Cousteau come snorkelling up to the 'camera'. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 13:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

Just wow.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 14:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supergoo that is just fabulous! My eyes popped out of my head. And Snaggy it's Raquel not Rachel.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 18, 2006 14:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli: oops! [blush]

When I think about Raquel my upper brain functions usually get pushed aside. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 18:26      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:

This might explain some
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/tprojects/6850.html

Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 10:06      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's what my mom meant when she was talking about inner beauty ... This video is simply gorgeous, thanks for sharing it!!!

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 19, 2006 15:19      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH WOW!!!

I am keeping the link to that!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Applause] [Applause] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Cool]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 18:28      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally amazing

I don't understand any of it... I guess protein encoding and the like is involved but I never got past basic human biology at school...

The "feet on a rope" towing a huge balloon totally got me... What the hell is that about? But knowing it is all real and going on inside all of us makes it beautiful - and yet more alien than any SF vision I have ever seen...

Just amazing work - thanks for sharing it just on an aesthetic level never mind what it actually represents... (whatever it is)!

[Eek!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 12:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
The "feet on a rope" towing a huge balloon totally got me... What the hell is that about? But knowing it is all real and going on inside all of us makes it beautiful - and yet more alien than any SF vision I have ever seen...

I was really curious about that one too. According to one of the animators, it's "a motor protein that’s sort of walking along a line, carrying this round sphere of lipids."

Edit: Found a more complete explanation.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 20, 2006 14:43      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was pretty nifty. Well scored as well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 17:41      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woooooooooooooow. o.o

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 19:45      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply amazing. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Edit: The company that made the video has some similarly awesome clips on their website, for those of you who just can't get enough of the link posted. [Smile] http://www.xvivo.net/

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture