homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Shall we dance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shall we dance?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 09:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep! I've talked about it before (I think), but now it's done: yesterday, I enrolled into a social/ballroom dance course. First lesson is this coming Sunday. Now, if someone (ever) ask me the question, I won't have any ready-made answer if the guy is a freak, but I won't make a fool of myself if he is hot! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 14, 2006 09:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what is so wrong about dancing freaks? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 14, 2006 12:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
And what is so wrong about dancing freaks? [Big Grin]

Not much. I worry more about the regular freaks who found that dancing is an easy (only?) way to hold a woman in their arms... [evil]

(Which reminds me... I'll have to wax more regularly, as I won't be able to hide my legs' hairs under long pants. Same goes for armpits. It's so hard to find evening dresses with sleeves. As if "good looks" = "show maximum of bare flesh from upper torso". And I'm still not talking about finding a strapless bra of my size. But I don't want to start a rant. Nothing comes easy, I guess! [ohwell] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 12:53      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess if you haven't already seen it, watch the original Japanese version of "Shall We Dance?" I'm not a huge fan of remakes.
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 14:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Stereo and have fun!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 23:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa... are you enrolling in competitive ballroom dancing? 'Cause you don't need crazy outfits just to learn social dancing. And unless you're doing some of the Latin dances, there's no reason any man should be touching your legs. In fact, ballroom dances such as the waltz and foxtrot are very particular about where the two of you put your hands, and they're all at shoulder blade level or higher.

I studied ballroom dance in college, so that info might be a bit out of date, but really, you shouldn't need to fret about being perfectly shaved/waxed... especially if you're wearing pants, which as long as they're not jeans and have some flexibility and/or flair to them, should be perfectly acceptable to wear to class. It's only at the dance at the end of the course that you'll really want to dress up. Be prepared to sweat a lot at first, so don't wear silk or something that will easily stain and/or show sweat.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 05:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
As if "good looks" = "show maximum of bare flesh from upper torso".

.. sounds reasonable to me [evil]

Anyway - good luck with the dancing and have fun. My eldest sister and her fella are into ballroom in a big way, and her theory about dressing for class is to concentrate on getting the right shoes. You'll feel the benefit in the long term. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 07:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks people!

No, Rhon, nothing competitive. I just got a little carried away in my previous post. But opportunities to dress up (even a bit) are a far apart in my life (I don't do bars/clubs - too many people at once with too much noise makes me want to retreat to a quieter place), plus meeting new people is part of the fun. So without going all the way to evening gowns, I'll try to find myself a few nice skirts with feminine tops (like a shirt with some lace). But skirts means nylons - and waxing.

And although I already have some heeled shoes, I had them fitted with non-slip sole, wich may render them unproper for dancing. The bright side is, money keeps flowing in these days, so I've got to find a way to spend it, don't you think so? [Big Grin] (I haven't done any serious clothes shopping for ages.) Of course, I could also sew some nice outfits: I have all I need - except time. [ohwell]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 09:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly wasn't designed for dancing, at least not sober. I quite like Scottish country dancing, you know, the Gay Gordon and such. Always good occasions to get drunk and meet girls...

Anyway, good luck, Stereo. Hope you have a ball!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 11:50      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo, don't bother to look for a strapless bra - try ducttape, it hurts but defies gravity [Big Grin]

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 21:15      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good few years ago my dad went through one of his phases and decided to take up ballroom dancing- guess who was the victim? [tired]

I also tried ceilidh (kay-lee) dancing which was awesomely good fun. Not so sure about the whole spinning around with smelly men though. Overall very enjoyable, especially when we had to cry out "Eeeeee yah!!"

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 09:52      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I went to a swing dance club and tried doing Lindy hop and Blues. I had done swing dancing before but what I did was all East Coast swing, this Lindy stuff is completely new to me. Anyway, most of the people dancing there were fantastically good but still tried to give me a few pointers on how to dance.

So just for my two cents, you should pick up swing dancing! It's a total blast and doesn't take that long to learn.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture