homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Elitists, Inc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elitists, Inc.
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 10, 2006 05:02      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have mentioned this before, but I forgot. That said, everyone will have advance warning for the next time.

I have a show on the local college radio station (KSUA, 91.5FM) called Elitists, Inc.. It runs from 1:00am to 3:00am, AKDT (That's GMT -9, or -8 right now), every Saturday Night (so, technically, Sunday morning).

On the show, I play requests when I can (no reggae, personal feeling on that. I like reggae, but not for a late-night groove), and am even more likely to if the requests are sent in file format (because that is in no way an attempt to pad my own music collection, nope nope).

Can't tune in to Alaska radio, no matter how hard you try? Try the .m3u streams at www.ksua.net.

Hope everyone tunes in next week!

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 14:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us have far more important things to do with our time...
</elitist> [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 14:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oz - If you hadn't nixed Reggae, I would probably have given it a shot. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 14:50      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider the timeslot, at least, where I am. My feeling is; if you're high at this hour, you probably have some reggae of your own to listen to. [Razz]

That said, I do play relatives of reggae (such as dub and ska), just none of the actual genre.

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 15:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oz - with Ska you have redeemed yourself [Big Grin]

(cue..Guns of Navarone...)

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 15:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet radio just won't do justice to this exhibition of quality music.... :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted September 10, 2006 15:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... Quality =)
IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 16:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oz... first, good to see you posting again...

I'm in Michigan, the Eastern Time Zone (on daylight saving), UTC -4, you're UTC -8, which means you broadcast from 5AM until 8AM EDT!! Maybe I can set up my comptuer to record your show or something...

<Edit style:addendum>I'm listening to the station right now, HQ stream, very interesting, seems like one of those college-type "we play ANYTHING!" stations. I shall remember to "tune in" often.

<Edit style:addendum>I see...erm... hear that KSUA has a lot of Public Service Announcements (don't talk on your cell phone and drive.. etc) and, more interestingly, commercials for NORML. This, indeed, is a truly interesting radio station!! [crazy]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 08:29      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Internet radio just won't do justice to this exhibition of quality music....

Wow, as if Andrew Eldritch himself wasn't doing enough to make the Sisters look bad... [ohwell]
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 13:30      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Internet radio just won't do justice to this exhibition of quality music.... :-/

Mostly, because the signal would completely degrade. [Razz]

--------------------

Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 16:25      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have listened to my mom's advice not to click on any link I find in forums (Ok, actually it had something to do with boys but I didn't listen) - I will never be able to listen to the Sisters again without this video poppin' up in my mind ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2006 19:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't know where to post this, but I figured this was as good as anywhere since we're dealing with eclectic music assortments.

Fiamma Fumana is an Italian group who bring to life the folksongs of their native land...but with an electronic/techno beat, fiddle, accordion, and at times, bagpipes. L.I.L.T. is off one of their earlier albums. It's particularly fun. Balla sounds more like what you'd expect of an Italian folksong, but it's brilliantly created.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 16:16      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Popping this to the top, as the show is tonight (tomorrow, even). E-mail your requests (and maybe even the songs) to [email protected]

--------------------

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 09:01      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the first song I hear on a radio station is one that I love and no one remembers, I'm obligated to love that station. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 14:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnwyn - the Fiamma Fumana stuff is very enjoyable. [Smile]

If you like Italian folk/pop generally, might I recommend La Ciapa Rusa?? They are now defunct, but their material is classic in the genre.

--------------------

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 14:43      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpazGirl:
When the first song I hear on a radio station is one that I love and no one remembers, I'm obligated to love that station. [thumbsup]

What was that? >.>

--------------------

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 15:29      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right before I posted that.... so..... about noonish EDT.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 15:53      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpazGirl:
Right before I posted that.... so..... about noonish EDT.

No, what song?

--------------------

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 02:17      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bop, for it being on the air.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 11:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Goddamit dman, I was eating yogurt when I clicked that!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture