homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » you can't help the stupid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: you can't help the stupid
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 15:11      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tried to explain to a patron that he didn't want to use his social as his PIN for my computer system. He informed me that he liked doing that. He uses it for as many computer passwords as he can because he can remember it.

I tried to explain why this wasn't a good idea, but hey, he can remember it.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 15:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a story from many years ago, about a convention of bank computer security experts. One of the speakers mentioned that research showed x% of people used the last 4 digits of their phone number as their ATM PIN. That evening, 38 people used the ATM in the lobby to change their PINs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 15:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've changed it since, but my ATM pin number used to be the date (ddmm) that I lost my virginity. Very easy to remember [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 19:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once used a /friend's/ last 4 numbers...I'd never use my own. I was quite sure the former wouldn't be readily guessable. My last one was a fun one that would be equally good, and my current one is kind of stupid and prob. hard to crack. I should probably change it again at some point.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 19:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I just tried to explain to a patron that he didn't want to use his social as his PIN for my computer system. He informed me that he liked doing that. He uses it for as many computer passwords as he can because he can remember it.

I tried to explain why this wasn't a good idea, but hey, he can remember it.

What was his name? .....and address?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 20:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bank randomly generates pins per card and wont let you change them without getting a new card.

I haven't decided if I like that or not.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 21:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The great thng about being a geek is that there are so many obscure physical and mathematical constants to choose from.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 21:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have problem remembering someone's birthday, I assimilate the mmdd form of their birthdate into my passwords. It definitely helps! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 00:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is cool that my bank allows up to ten numbers in the pin, I use six. It just seems more secure to me. I don't know if it actually is.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 03:43      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
The great thng about being a geek is that there are so many obscure physical and mathematical constants to choose from.

Why stop at constants, why not go further and use mathematical relations with the operators removed?

ie.
Emc2
FGm1m2r2
Fq1q2r2

you don't wanna see Schrodinger's Equation

[Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 03:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:

you don't wanna see Schrodinger's Equation

[Razz]

cat + hammer = ow?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 05:46      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DNM:
cat + hammer = ow?

I just couldn't resist:

cat + hammer = meow

And I know what the astronomer is talking about... my briefcase combination is the first 6 digits of pi.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 07:38      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use different passwords and PINs for every account I have everywhere. I also use a distinct email address for every web site I register with. I keep track of them on sheets of paper that I keep in a folder, so they are never sitting in a file on my computers.

Paranoia is just heightened awareness

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 10:14      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I use different passwords and PINs for every account I have everywhere. I also use a distinct email address for every web site I register with. I keep track of them on sheets of paper that I keep in a folder, so they are never sitting in a file on my computers.

Paranoia is just heightened awareness

How many people come in contact with your work space everyday?
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 10:48      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only immediate family. I work at home. I also only type passwords into my desktop machine or notebook, which I never let anyone else touch. If I don't have my notebook with me when travelling, I don't read my mail.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 12:02      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PINs usually have mathematical significance.

(And despite my interest in perfect numbers, it is not 8128!)

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture