homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Crikey! Steve Irwin is DEAD! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Crikey! Steve Irwin is DEAD!
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 22:29      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

And he wasn't even doing anything stupid! I mean, if he was taunting a crocodile, I could understand getting bitten or something... but he was just chilling and swimming, and he got a barb through the chest.

I, for one, was shocked.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 23:03      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rather surprised too-- but in retrospect it doesn't seem so shocking considering his high-risk pursuits. Still, a sting-ray barb in the chest is a pretty freak way to go out.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 23:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it would have been quite inappropriate for him to die in bed surrounded by 16 great-grandchildren.

quote:
The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.
He called his kid Bindi??

Dunno if they're known elsewhere, but bindis are a noxious weed with spiky barbs that get stuck in your feet, WTF was he thinking calling his kid that?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 00:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The probability of me or any other random person dying from an animal attack is pretty rare. Steve Irwin however had it coming. Not that I wished death on him, but like TFD said, this man wasn't going to die old.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 00:53      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Dunno if they're known elsewhere, but bindis are a noxious weed with spiky barbs that get stuck in your feet, WTF was he thinking calling his kid that?

I wonder if that was the one he dangled in front of the croc @ 2 mos old & bounced around without any neck support. If so I wonder if there's some odd subtext going on there.

Maybe the name was his wife's idea-- she's from Oregon.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 01:12      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Bob was the one used as croc bait, not Bindi.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 03:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad... still, I'd imagine that's how he'd have wanted to go.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 03:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlefish:
Apparently Bob was the one used as croc bait, not Bindi.

quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Very sad... still, I'd imagine that's how he'd have wanted to go.

What, accidently being tossed to a croc because dad forgot which arm he had his child in and which arm he had a chicken in. Oh wait, you meant the Steve, not Bob. Sorry

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 06:03      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad made a comment which seams fitting "He was like what Diana was too England". He will be missed around the world.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 07:58      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, it would have been quite inappropriate for him to die in bed surrounded by 16 great-grandchildren.

quote:
The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

Actually, he named her after his dog. [Eek!] It died before she was born. Bindi (the dog) was in quite a few episodes of the Croc hunter. There was one where she chased down a wild pig.
Ol' Steve will be missed. [weep] He should have remembered: "Danger! Danger! Danger!" [Frown]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 08:49      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]

[cry baby]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 14:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always a tragedy when someone dies young......

but I can't help thinking that an awful lot of crocs will sleep nice and peaceful tonight.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 20:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the way to go if you ask me.

Doing something you love, that is.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 03:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... he really loved being stabbed by stingrays... [Wink]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 06:57      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is sad that he checked out a littler earlier than he should have. Yet, I'm happy that this was a freak thing and he wasn't doing something incredibly risky - that would have undermined his message of love for animals (no animal husbandry jokes please [Smile] ).

I'll raise a toast to Steve. He really is a geek hero. He took a love for something that most people aren't interested in and let that obsession become a rock-star career. He even had an action figure!

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 07:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long it will be til this hits the web. [Frown]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 07:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
I wonder how long it will be til this hits the web. [Frown]

I hope the producers have the sense to destroy this film. Irwin being such a famous person, I think that would be the only way to keep peoples gouhlish curiosity at bay. Celebrity rags publishing photos of celebs naked is one thing but I bet some magazines would pay millions to publish some pictures from that film real because unfortunalty, it would be worth millions in the amount of papers they would sell. Destroy the film.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 08:33      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that the family wants it shown - "It's what he would have wanted".

And imagine the ratings...

EDIT: the source of the story. I had to link it for the awesome quotes:
quote:
Steve famously said: "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it’s shaky or slightly out of focus, I don’t give a rip!

"Even if a big big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, ‘Crikey!’ just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me."

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 09:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saddest part is that Darwin didn't catch up to him before he managed to spawn. Hopefully the mother of his kids had the common sense gene she was able to pass on the them.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 09:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
The saddest part is that Darwin didn't catch up to him before he managed to spawn. Hopefully the mother of his kids had the common sense gene she was able to pass on the them.

Seconded.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 10:49      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

but I can't help thinking that an awful lot of crocs will sleep nice and peaceful tonight.

He helped a lot of crocs get medical attention, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. I highly doubt he did anything cruel to them.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

"Even if a big big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, ‘Crikey!’ just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me."

[/QUOTE]

LOL, that would have been pretty good! Can't talk under water though. Maybe he gave the ray the finger.

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 12:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
quote:Originally posted by Grummash:

He helped a lot of crocs get medical attention, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. I highly doubt he did anything cruel to them.

I know he did a lot of good work, such as rescuing problem crocodiles in areas where they were a danger to people and moving them to his zoo, and I know he has raised the profile of wildlife conservation - which is also a good thing.

However, every time they showed a trailer on UK TV for one of his shows, it always involved him harrassing some innocent animal. Not just the crocs either, I am sure the snakes were not queuing up to be dragged out into the open and picked up with a stick.

It is a tricky problem though... on the one hand, in addition to the conservation stuff he did a lot of good for people (press reports in the UK say he employed 550 people) but on the other hand we have plenty of evidence on film of him causing distress to animals on a one-to-one basis. So, does the means justify the end? I think the philosophers are still out on that one.

There has been a lot of information put out in the last 48 hours about Stingrays, and in particular the consensus seems to be that Stingrays don't lash out from aggression, only when they are scared. So the question has to be, what was he doing to scare the Stingray?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 13:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
There has been a lot of information put out in the last 48 hours about Stingrays, and in particular the consensus seems to be that Stingrays don't lash out from aggression, only when they are scared. So the question has to be, what was he doing to scare the Stingray?

That question's been asked here, and people who've seen the video of the incident say he was NOT harassing the critter. It sounds like the first diver passed over the ray without incident, but when the second followed, the ray felt surrounded and lashed out.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 14:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That question's been asked here, and people who've seen the video of the incident say he was NOT harassing the critter. It sounds like the first diver passed over the ray without incident, but when the second followed, the ray felt surrounded and lashed out.

In which case, we must accept that it was just a very tragic accident. No-one deserves to die young, but sometimes, shit happens.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 15:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
LOL, that would have been pretty good! Can't talk under water though. Maybe he gave the ray the finger.

Or maybe he was too busy ripping out the stinger...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture