homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Time Machine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - Time Machine
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 18, 2006 06:59      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week everyone was talking about the Time Machine. Here's my first friday five.

1- If you had a Time Machine which event in your life you'd like go back and correct?

2- What was the most important file/folder/disk you lose? Did you managed to get it back?

3- Is there a file/folder on your system that you cannot live if it's gone?

4- How often do you back-up? or do you back-up at all? Honestly?

5- If there ever was a "World Back-Up Day", which date should it be on, and why?

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 11:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- If you had a Time Machine which event in your life you'd like go back and correct?

It was a long time ago and involves a gorgeous girl and not having protection. (We didn't do it... I wish I had had some!) [ohwell]
but seriously... losing friends is the most painfull thing I'd like to change somehow. I doubt that would be possible though.

2- What was the most important file/folder/disk you lose? Did you managed to get it back?
The one I don't know about yet.

Mail

It's been three weeks since I have. SuperDuper is acting up and not letting me. Grrr.

5- If there ever was a "World Back-Up Day", which date should it be on, and why?

Not February 29th. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 18:33      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1- If you had a Time Machine which event in your life you'd like go back and correct? I'd want to keep my mom from getting cancer or catch it earlier. However, I spent my inheritance on my adoption fees, so then I'd have no D-M.

2- What was the most important file/folder/disk you lose? Did you managed to get it back? No, grrrrrr. Back in the early 90s someone at work couldn't get a floppy to work right. So they went from computer to computer in the office trying to get it to work. They infected my computer and I lost a years worth of work. Now I save everything to the server at work, which they back up regularly. The thing that cheeses me off the most is that we had gotten a warning from IT that there was a problem with that version of winsox and not to download it from the state library site. However YF is smarter than IT, duh. thanks a bunch

3- Is there a file/folder on your system that you cannot live if it's gone? I'd be cheesed if I lost my photos.

4- How often do you back-up? or do you back-up at all? Honestly? Not recently and I have no good reason for that. gulp.

5- If there ever was a "World Back-Up Day", which date should it be on, and why? April Fools day, because we feel so foolish when we don't.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 20:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't know where to start, so many mistakes, so little time...

Never actually lost anything important m'self, I've always been fairy good with backups, but one place I was working had the server crash with the loss of all of the source code, and that's when they found out that the backups they'd been doing every night were useless. This could have been an "end of the company" moment, but fortunately one of the guys had taken a fairly recent copy onto a laptop for a trip, so not much of value was lost, but it was close...

My photos, and my tax records which is why I have them backed up in several different places.

At least once a week, and ALWAYS before installing any new software.

I'm with Aditu here, April fools day.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 22:48      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one situation I sometimes think about, but if I went back and put things right with her, I wouldn't have the life I have now. So I think I'll pass.

I've never lost anything important, but there are a few odd files I wish I'd kept from the old Windoze days.

I be pretty screwed if my calender disappeared.

I do a full clone of the system to external HDD every couple of weeks, and I take copies of my documents folder every time it changes.

I'm not sure this is necessary - people get real good at backing up after the first catastrophe strikes. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 23:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 is not necessarily true. I still don't back up the Mac. I am not quite sure how ... maybe try finding a USB card that works on a Tanzania board, and get a USB enclosure, external drive, format to HFS+ (to preserve type codes, resource forks etc) and find some way to do synchronisation copying. On the cheap. You get a folder synchroniser with 9.1 but all that does is crash. I could probably just write one, it's not that hard.

Or, and I've contemplated this also, create a 650 MB disc image on the Mac, and copy all my files into that (synchronised else, on my ATA10 controller it would take some time), FTP the whole lot to the Windows PC and burn it to CD-RW. (OEM Nero Express and a random IDE TDK CD rewriter (5 was it?) is cheaper than trying to find an IDE CD rewriter for the Mac that boots system CDs, and apparently burner performance is dire on a StarMax, whereas my PC is happy to burn at the full 40x of my writer.) Now, I'd have to just hope that the Finder won't shit its pants trying to write to a disc image that size since 9.1's Finder is astonishingly sucky.

My palmtop also never gets backed up, more than anything because it just hits share violations. I mean, the piece of crap back-up system forces all apps to close. Well, not quite, as some won't quit and it then aborts the backup before you've realised and managed to close all the ones you know have a dialog or menu open or flagrantly ignore requests to close. OK, close those (leave open any that can close as they get re-opened automatically at the end), and try again. May work, may just keep getting error codes that suggest share violations, even with nothing but the shell open. Last time, I had to go back through all open apps and manually close the whole lot, reset the OS, back up and then open all my programs again.

Anyone who's got a way of doing all this stuff easily is a lucky bitch.

IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 03:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SuperDuper! works for me, and automatically backs everything up every night at 12.30. It couldn't be much simpler or easier either. As it's just a home machine I don't have it stored off site, so I'm in trouble if my house burns down, but in those circumstances I suspect that would be the least of my problems!

Snaggy have you checked the logs to try to see what the problem is? Dave Nanian is also very quick and helpful with any support questions too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 07:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather not answer this one. [Razz]

Nothing I recall. I have always had pretty extensive backups. *Knocks on wood*.

/home

Daily. A removable harddrive is swapped out and taken off site from our server location with our encrypted backups on it 3 times a week.

January 1st. Why not have it be a new year's resolution people actually keep?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 08:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Generally, I live my life with no regrets... there are things I may have wished went differently, but I accept how everything has gone, and it's alright. That said, there is one thing I could have done differently, and I don't know what kind of ripple effect it might have had, but I think it might have been worth it.

2. I've lost a handful of files over time (had a USB drive die somewhere in between copying to the dest. machine, and negligible stuff), but I wouldn't say I've really lost anything Earth-shattering.

3. My pictures and Perl code. If either were lost, I'd be quite disappointed.

4. Routinely. I /should/ do it more often than I do, but whenever I make a very serious change to stuff, I generally do a full backup. I do keep backups in more than one form, so things should be cool.

5. New Year's is a nice idea, but too many people will be drunk to make a proper go of it. [Razz] Maybe Election Day? (Most people aren't on vacation then.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 11:36      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing. Everything I've done in life, mistakes included, have gotten me to where I am today.

I remember there was some folder I lost, but I used System Restore and got it back. I'm sure today that folder has been intentionally deleted.

My folder of pictures of Andrew. I have it on both drives and three separate CD backups of it. I'm making one more to put in the fire safe too.

I don't back up except for important pictures that I put on CD.

January 8. Why not on Elvis' (and my) birthday?

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 15:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, well there are plenty of things I probably could have done better than I did, and one or two things that I really could have handled a lot better... but what I did then is part of what makes me who I am now and a part of how I ended up here... so I guess overall I think I would probably say it is all best just left alone...

Well over time I have lost stuff, occasionally enough stuff to make me work all weekend to redo it... because I couldn't get it back. But the worst? No doubt that was January of this year - arrived at work to find some fsckers had busted in and taken all my Macs... I don't think I ever felt so sick! And no I didn't get them back and no my archives were not up to date... [blush] (yes I had back ups of back ups... but all spread across the machines, my geeky mind had covered HDD failures, file corruption, machine down scenarios, accidental deletions/overwites, etc. etc., but not someone taking out the whole setup...) [Eek!] Lesson? Back ups are essential, but always go just one step further if it really matters, and then another one too.

Well after the above I have backups and archives and NAS and even that isn't enough to make me happy.
At home my desktop is mirrored on my iBook though I don't really have much in the way of data... I don't really do much "creation" at home, just surfing and irc etc.

At work... all the time, at least once a day and archival DVDs probably every couple of months... and I should do that more really.
At home - see above...

Every Friday... you can never back up important stuff often enough (and backups alone are not enough... see 2 above)

Honestly you never think it will happen to you... but eventually it will - just assume it will be tomorrow!!!

[Geek]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2006 18:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing a full restore on my laptop at the moment, some new software screwed up a heap of stuff. My last backup was taken.... 7:30 PM yesterday.

/me does the happy-to-have-backups dance

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture