homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five -customer service and wacky customers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five -customer service and wacky customers
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 07:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning all! Having just worked with a wacky customer, I thought it might make for a fun list of stories.

1. Who was the craziest customer question (internal or external) that you have had to answer?

2. Who was the rudest you have had to deal with?

3. What is the maximum number of times you have been passed around when phoning for an an answer?

4. What would you like to do with those press 2 for X, press 4 for y phone answering things?

5. Do you have a company that you think provides exemplary service?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 07:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Who was the craziest customer question (internal or external) that you have had to answer?
"Are you guys down?"

When I answered the phone at a local ISP, and a pre-recorded message was set so when customers called, the FIRST thing they heard was, "yes, we're having issues at the moment, we're working to resolve them, so if your call is about this outage, please try again later, as there is currently nothing we can do to help you on the phone. We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll have it fixed as soon as possible."

We were a small shop. I was the network admin, and phone support guy, so for every minute I spent on the phone explaining to this retard the same thing the pre-recorded message said, I was away from fixing the actual issue at-hand.

2. How was the rudest you have had to deal with?
Some dick started bitching me out because our billing system screwed up, which I obviously had no control over. I actually went off on him. He asked to talk to a manager. I forwarded him to the manager. She apologised, said she's give me shit, hung up, and laughed.

3. What is the maximum number of times you have been passed around when phoning for an an answer?
#1 worst company in the world for this: Rogers Communications here in Canada. I've been forwarded upwards of 10 times to get what I needed with them before.

4. What would you like to do with those press 2 for X, press 4 for y phone answering things?
Physically? Set them on fire. When I get one on the phone? I hammer 0 until I get a human being saying, "hello? hello?" at which point I'm usually still hitting 0 because the machine won't stop talking at me.

I had this conversation in the GC IRC channel yesterday with macmcseboy, and he disagrees, but I've found Telus (for my cell phone service) to be particularly good. The person I get on the phone the first time can help me, I don't have to deal with some stupid machine to get a human, and they always fix my issue the first time.

Other than the prices (which are on par with the ripoff costs of everyone else), I have no complaints.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 07:25      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Who was the craziest customer question (internal or external) that you have had to answer? Working in a library, you get a lot of crazy questions. Like how much does a cloud weigh? My favourite is probably the lady who asked if we had books on identifying birds. I said yes, and she pulled a dead bird out of a bag and put it on my desk.

2. How was the rudest you have had to deal with? Their are a lot of rude people in this world. One of my funny favourites is the little old lady who screamed at me and called me a hussy!! Why because the type in the hotel directory was now small and she couldn't read it. Of course everyone in the library looked at me like felon for upsetting the sweet looking little old lady.

3. What is the maximum number of times you have been passed around when phoning for an an answer? I know Verizon passed me around 5 times and made me call 3 other numbers when they messed me up in the phone book. That probably isn't close to the record though.

4. What would you like to do with those press 2 for X, press 4 for y phone answering things? One of my co-workers wants to make a recording of them and call the inventor in the middle of the night and play it.

5. Do you have a company that you think provides exemplary service? QVC. I know TV shopping sounds lame, but I can't shop for clothes with a 2.5 year old. Actually I hated shopping long before that, truth be told. Their service staff are wonderful even when swamped. And they remember my shipping address.

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 08:17      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a guy phone me about getting insurance for a credit card I never even asked for. deal was, if I died or got hurt, it would cover my costs or delay the paymets, whatever. I told him I never bought what I couldn't afford, and I was too young to die anyways. Like, what crazy expenses did I have at 21?! Somehow the guy manages to turn the conversation in such a way that it gets religious (think he asked me if I thought God was protecting me from harm or something) and I said I didn't believe in God. Then instead of trying to sell me the insurance, he tries to sell me his religion. Funny that he got into it knowing the conversation was being recorded.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 09:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Who was the craziest customer question (internal or external) that you have had to answer? Hmm. Long time ago, I worked at a restaurant, and a customer asked me if I could take his plate back in the kitchen and warm it up in the microwave. His dinner was half eaten. I told him sorry that we didn't have a microwave. He didn't believe me. WE really had no way of heating up his food again. He would not accept this, asked for may boss, my boss told him the same thing. Yadda yadda yadda.

2. sic [How] was the rudest you have had to deal with?

Well, just average rudness for my highschool jobs. I really never run into rude people in what I do. Then again, I never have to deal with customers. [Big Grin]

I never really had a problem with this.

I never really have a problem with this. I hang up the phone, redial, and then i don't press any buttons. These phone systems have to account for people who still do not have touch tone phones. If you don't press any buttons, there is no way the computer can tell that you have a touch tone phone. Eventually a operator will answer the phone, though it may take three minutes. (I know it takes three minutes for NELL NET's phone system. If you press a button though it is all over becuase then the computer knows that you have a touch tone phone and not to connect you to an operator.

Yea, Credit Suisse. Love that company. Valiant Bank as well. This probably goes for the customer service at any swiss bank though I have only dealt with those two. Though, you pay more for no lines and extremely competent employees.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 09:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Yea, Credit Suisse. Love that company. Valiant Bank as well. This probably goes for the customer service at any swiss bank though I have only dealt with those two. Though, you pay more for no lines and extremely competent employees.

Most people are happy with their swiss bank accounts. [Wink]
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 09:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Most people are happy with their swiss bank accounts. [Wink]
The interest rates they give suck. Really. They are all under 1%

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 10:20      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have clients, and other people who are trying to sue our clients, and the craziest question I guess would be when this woman asked if we would write a letter saying that our client did specific things to her (he is a surgeon). Uhm, duh, NO!

Probably the same lady, after I told her we weren't going to write what she wanted.

In the recent past I can remember being passed around four times, having to repeat myself each time, and getting disconnected in the end.

What would I like to do? Ban them. What do I do? Same as dnm, press 0 until I get a human.

Not really.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 10:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of two:
I used to answer the switchboard for the university. One day I got a call from an elderly woman who wanted to talk to her son. When I asked for his name, in order to transfer her, she replied "I'm not sure I should tell you. You never know these days." (I suspect she was dealing with senility or alzheimer's disease, since paranoia sometimes accompanies the memory loss)

More recently, it was the resident who kept complaining that her stove and air conditioning weren't working, and that we weren't fixing it. Every time we sent someone down to check out the problem, the technician would find the gas to the stove turned off and the A/C air handler unplugged. They'd turn on the gas, plug in the air handler, and find that everything worked perfectly. A month or two later, she'd call again and complain that we weren't fixing her stove and A/C. Later, she came in and said that the gas company had shut off her stove because it was leaking, and handed me a service report from the company that said the exact opposite: that the stove was checked and no problems were found. Even worse, half the time she'd come in smelling like she hadn't showered in weeks. It's hard enough dealing with a psychotic when you can still breath and your eyes aren't watering.

When I was working in a department store, I had to fill in for the children's department, and one woman got very upset and went to report me to my manager because I wasn't correctly folding the newborn clothing I was ringing up for her. I never heard about it from my manager, and I really didn't worry about it anyway, since it was a temp job.

About 3 or 4 times when dealing with problems with my DSL service once.

It depends. I can tolerate some of the better-designed ones, but the ones that just waste my time sending me in circles frustrate me. I wouldn't mind seeing the server running those going up in flames.

I can't think of one at the moment.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 11:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu wrote:
My favourite is probably the lady who asked if we had books on identifying birds. I said yes, and she pulled a dead bird out of a bag and put it on my desk.

Clearly it was Norwegian Blue.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 13:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Aditu wrote:
My favourite is probably the lady who asked if we had books on identifying birds. I said yes, and she pulled a dead bird out of a bag and put it on my desk.

Norwegian blue parrots do not die that easily, though they do sleep soundly, perhaps the bird she pulled out of her pocket was not really dead.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 13:53      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Aditu wrote:

Norwegian blue parrots do not die that easily, though they do sleep soundly, perhaps the bird she pulled out of her pocket was not really dead.
*cough*
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 14:05      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WB BW
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 15:03      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why doesn't the iPod Shuffle have video, too?"

A guy threw his iPod at my face once when I was working at the Apple store. I had a black eye for three days and I quit, but somehow I managed not to wring his pathetic little neck.

I usually just tell them up-front that I'm an IT consultant and they realize that my recommendation can get them business; then they're nice. I was passed around to every single department of a PetCo once when I was asking about reptile food, though. That blew.

"Press 1 for customer assistance." [transfers to an operator in Bangladesh]

I try to be nice to my customers, but I can't be "exemplary" when they try to get in touch with me at 8AM on a Saturday.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 19:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Norwegian blue parrots do not die that easily, though they do sleep soundly, perhaps the bird she pulled out of her pocket was not really dead."

It may have been Norwegian. It may have been blue. I can however assure you from the smell that it was most assuredly dead. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 19:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<hijack>
I just killed a huge spider downstairs. It was slightly fuzzy and very grey. The body was about an inch long and the legs covered at least four inches across.

IT CRUNCHED WHEN I STEPPED ON IT!!! (You should've heard me squeak!) YUCK!!!!

I still havenít quite gotten over it.

Why am I always the one to come across creepy-crawlies here? I found a cockroach in the bathroom a few weeks ago...

</hijack>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 19:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, there was no reason to kill it ...

As for the craziest question? Someone who was on my computer science degree course rang me up one night -- after the course was over -- with a technical problem from where he now worked. Apparently he worked for a company who provided some sort of service to schools over the Internet using what I believe was in-house software. And it had developed a fault, whereby the data meant to be reaching one school, was being sent to another.

And do I know why?

IP: Logged
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 22:14      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The craziest question that I have had to answer lately is this woman who was upset because she wasn't getting her medication. She wasn't getting her medication because she had filled out her income on the application wrong. She had just guessed on the income instead of putting down her actual income even though we asked for proof of her income. So I told her about the discrepancy between what she provided for proof of income and what was written on the application. She then started accusing me and my company of changing the answer she wrote on the application. Then she asked me if someone she knew, who did not like her and did not want her to get her medication, worked with me. She then left a pause like I was supposed to answer this. I couldn't help it. I started laughing. Then she got pissed because she said that I was making fun of her and asked to speak to a manager. I never heard back from the manager so I guess they were in agreement that she was a loon.
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 00:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple of things, both on the other side

I had a coworker that told a customer how much their order was, the customer seemed surprised by the price and repeated the price in a form of a question, my coworker then said to the customer "did I stutter?" [Razz]

My wife just had a caregiver quit to go to work for another agency, when my wife asked her why she was not giving them a 2 week notice her response was " I didn't know I was going to get this job 2 weeks ago" [crazy] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 02:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:

My wife just had a caregiver quit to go to work for another agency, when my wife asked her why she was not giving them a 2 week notice her response was " I didn't know I was going to get this job 2 weeks ago" [crazy] [Roll Eyes]

I don't know why american companies don't make thier workers sign contracts. Here, you must give three months notice, but you also have three months if your company wants to fire you. Plus, companies when they hire you in know you have to give three months and that is usually fine with them.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 02:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
<hijack>
I just killed a huge spider downstairs. It was slightly fuzzy and very grey. The body was about an inch long and the legs covered at least four inches across.

IT CRUNCHED WHEN I STEPPED ON IT!!! (You should've heard me squeak!) YUCK!!!!

I still haven’t quite gotten over it.

Why am I always the one to come across creepy-crawlies here? I found a cockroach in the bathroom a few weeks ago...

</hijack>

SPECIES DISCRIMINATION! SPECIES DISCRIMINATION!

If you had found a stray kitten in your basement, would you have done the same thing?

-

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 02:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:
quote:
Aditu wrote:

*cough*
your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 08:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know why american companies don't make thier workers sign contracts. Here, you must give three months notice, but you also have three months if your company wants to fire you. Plus, companies when they hire you in know you have to give three months and that is usually fine with them.

Three months!?!?

Wow. To pay an employee for three whole months of sub-par performance sounds like a great deal for all people involved. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Then again the I think the European countries do have a very different mindset on how employment should "work." Much like the protests in France recently over the labor reforms. What was going to be a huge blow for them, was a very logical and sensible thing to me.

I like having the option of how long I will stay with a current employer and how much notice I will give. I like the fact that if a job is truly not gonna work for me, that I can tell them such.

Of course the negative is that you are not given a guarantee that they want you to be around either.

In the end, it truly is choose your poison.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 13:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a job wanted me to sign an agreement stating that I'd give 3 months' notice in the event of departure, I assuredly would not accept. Ever. That's insane.

2 weeks is long if the job is bad enough as it is.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2006 16:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture