homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » In light of the news. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: In light of the news.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2006 18:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'm pretty sure we're going to be seeing more and more cunning plans in the future.

Nah, the plans will get less and less cunning.

At the moment, planes are the fashionable target, so you've got to be pretty tricky to get past security. If planes become too difficult to attack, the bad guys will just go for softer targets, train networks, sporting events, shopping centres, anywhere that large numbers of people gather. You don't need to be a rocket-scientist to get a kilo of semtex into the local McDonalds.

You can't win this kind of war by tightening security.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 03:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the TSA site this morning to see what current regulations are. (Nothing about laptops being disallowed in the U.S., and according to the news, liquids of 4oz or less are now permitted for carry on but that hasn't made it to the web site yet.)

On a 1984 note, this made me laugh...

Do I Have to Remove My Shoes?
Yes, you are required to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector. This includes all types of footwear. Due to the Homeland Security threat level being raised for the U.S. aviation sector worldwide this is critical to protect the world's travelers who transit by air to and from the United States.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 07:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I mentioned on IRC... I recall a fellow NYer giving TSA a bit of flak over having to take off her *flip-flops.* I mean, besides the noise getting on my nerves from time to time, I really doubt that one is going to conceal something in that! The TSA person was pretty stern, and implied that non-cooperation would be a bit less pleasant. I hate this garbage. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 07:40      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now what i find a kind of a let down is that they have the machines to detect liguid bombs and all that except they won't cough up the money to buy these machines.

If you look at how much America and the other countries of the world have spent on fighting terrorist wars. They could of just as easily buy all the technology needed to check for any weapon or explosive on any form of trasportation and still have enough over to get rid of poverty.

Cost of Iraq war

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 07:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Now what i find a kind of a let down is that they have the machines to detect liguid bombs and all that except they won't cough up the money to buy these machines.

If you look at how much America and the other countries of the world have spent on fighting terrorist wars. They could of just as easily buy all the technology needed to check for any weapon or explosive on any form of trasportation and still have enough over to get rid of poverty.

Cost of Iraq war

No there is no point in wasting more money on security. There will always be a chink in the armor to stike.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 08:01      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
As soon as you become afraid of the terrorists, you've surrendered to them at a personal level. They want to make you scared. They want to make you weak. They want you to give in to their demands. Think about what that means.

The only person that is benefiting from 'terrorist attacks' is Bush who wants to stay in power longer than he's allowed with the excuse that the States needs him to defend the country. Controlling a country by fear is very effective. Machiavelli's "The Prince" explains it all very well. It's a great read.

Right now the terrorists are trying to get troops out of their land through violence. Seeing as how they were unsuccessful, they are really the scared ones and realized that the defenses in these coutries are too good. Defense is a good thing. If they were successful in killing others, they'd be the victors. Security is obviously doing a good job, so instead of whining about the whole liquid issue, shouldn't the conversation be more about praising the good jobs of others?

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 08:04      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

Cost of Iraq war

Wow, that's really depressing! To think of the good that money could have done...crazy...
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 08:05      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
As I mentioned on IRC... I recall a fellow NYer giving TSA a bit of flak over having to take off her *flip-flops.*

Hey, at least they're easier to take off than knee-high combat boots. Last time I flew, I forgot about the shoe rules and didn't have space in my luggage for them, and I almost fell over and took out the security guard while trying to unlace them.

(They don't even give you a chair! Come on!)

Why are shoes a concern, but if someone has a leg cast, they don't give them a passing glance? Doesn't anybody realize just how much plastic explosive one could fit into one of those things?

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 08:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
As I mentioned on IRC... I recall a fellow NYer giving TSA a bit of flak over having to take off her *flip-flops.* I mean, besides the noise getting on my nerves from time to time, I really doubt that one is going to conceal something in that! The TSA person was pretty stern, and implied that non-cooperation would be a bit less pleasant. I hate this garbage. [Frown]

This is why I wear shoes that come off easily when I fly (well, that and I like to take my shoes off in flight - if you're going to be stuck on a plane for hours you might as well get comfy).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 12:22      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The War Against Terror

Best. Acronym. Ever.

;-)

(...I'll get me coat...)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 13:59      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha ha,

that one really killed me Hey-U,

and nice to see you comment here again too... excellent though... how come I never spotted that one? :/

[Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2006 18:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://b3ta.com/board/6213368

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture