homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Virtual desktops on OSX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virtual desktops on OSX
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 12:51      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Steve might shoot this down by announcing something "cool" today...

But if you ever hankered after Linux style virtual desktops on OSX I found something that works for me...

Sure there has been Desktop Manager... but I tried that and it always seemed a bit kludgy to me.

I found Virtue Desktops which is not the same sort of implementation as in Linux but works nice and seems very "Mac like"

Just thought I would share that with you all if anyone is interested... Oh yeah and it is free...

[Big Grin]

OK, it is not perfect yet... but I have not found any really major flaws in it... if you want the auto swapping to work you have to keep an app open on the desktop you want to swap to or it will just open on the current desktop but hey... better than no virtual desks at all and less processor intensive than using the Fast User Switching to get the same effect... and a neat set of animations too...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 13:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaces... coming next Spring. [Big Grin]

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spaces.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 13:35      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I have to say... Spaces looks awesome. Especially the way you can drag stuff around between all four spaces in thumbnail mode.

I had that other virtual desktop thing because I wanted to try to get Smackbook working, but I lost interest fairly soon.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted August 07, 2006 18:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duuuude,

That's the thing about a Mac -- it's just so kewl, so hip that next spring is sooo yesterday.

I mean virtual desktops? Spaces, That's just so August 7, 2006.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 18:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I'm almost as impressed as I was in the mid 80's when the first virtual desktops starting showing up.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 22:18      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaces is cool. Not overly original, except in UI, but that isn't a bad thing because I judge the quality of OSX features by my father's ability to use it effectively within five to ten minutes.

This will certainly be very helpful, I am assuming that you will be able to assign different desktops to different monitors though.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 18:44      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo, a virtual desktop manager, something linux had back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Now, can Apple please release something truly new and exciting, so their stock can finally break 70?

*grumble* should've shorted on aug 3rd *grumble*

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 18:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Now, can Apple please release something truly new and exciting, so their stock can finally break 70?

-

Some of us long-haul investors are doing quite nicelly, none the less [Smile]

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 18:59      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to the recent few months, the time after almost every tech stock took a nosedive.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture