homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I have a new hero.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a new hero.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 08:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shawn Hogan
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 26, 2006 16:25      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet, rock on Shawn!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 19:19      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally some good news!! WhoooO!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 21:59      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 17:12      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wouldn't it be nice if the mpaa lost and as a result ended up having to pay back and out so much in fines that they went broke?

(just some fanciful dreaming)

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 18:49      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch, this case will drag on, lose media attention, if he wins or loses it won't be as big of a deal unfortunately. These lawyers know how to work and milk these things until its quickly forgotten in which they move into settlements.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 20:10            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm really clueless here, but don't the MPAA have an obligation to prove that the defendant is guilty?
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 20:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Maybe I'm really clueless here, but don't the MPAA have an obligation to prove that the defendant is guilty?

Legally, yes. That hasn't really stopped them before. They're running a scare tactic operation. After all, they tried to sue a dead person! Most [living] people end up settling, as the cost of fighting is prohibitive, even if they're innocent.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 21:14      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd love to have them come after me

i'd gladly take it to court! all i have to do is sit there and make them prove whatever it is they're accusing me of

i haven't heard of ANYONE going to court for this crap yet, so it'd be interesting to find out what they really have as "proof"

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 23:10      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hogan, who coded his way to millions as the CEO of Digital Point Solutions, is determined to change this.
Coded his way to millions.. I liked the sound of that [hearts]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 23:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Coded his way to the love of a techie girl" sounds better. Much better. :wishful:
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 03:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:

Sort of. The case filed is a civil case, not a criminal case. In a criminal case, you have to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt. In a civil case, you need only show a preponderance of evidence. In other words, the MPAA only has to prove that it's likely that he did what they say. They don't have to prove beyond all doubt that he did.

Unfortunately that generally means a defense such as owning a copy of the DVD, while enough to cast doubt on your downloading of a movie, is not enough to eliminate doubt and won't prevent you from paying a fine.

On the other hand, Mr. Hogan has money and a lawyer who will understand this, so I doubt that his defense will be based on the ownership of the DVD. I think the statement that he owns the DVD is more likely meant to sway public opinion rather than as an actual defense. After all, why would you tip the opposing counsel on your defense strategy with public statements?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:16      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe that only this one case in software piracy has come to my attention, it happens so much and yet very few get convicted,

Would'nt it be easier to sue the actully bit-torrent providers, and the clients to them instead of the user?

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 07:44      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting bit of news ...
Looks as though the RIAA has quietly dropped several lawsuit cases rather quickly because the defense started to 'cry IP':

For years, the RIAA has claimed that having the IP address of a computer that has shared unauthorized files is the equivalent of having the evidence of who was actually sharing files. That, of course, is false. The IP address simply can help you know who paid for the internet access, but not who was using what computer on a network. In fact, this even had some people suggesting that, if you want to win a lawsuit from the RIAA, you're best off opening up your WiFi network to neighbors.

It seems like this strategy might actually be working. Earlier this month the inability to prove who actually did the file sharing caused the RIAA to drop a case in Oklahoma and now it looks like the same defense has worked in a California case as well. In both cases, though, as soon as the RIAA realized the person was using this defense, they dropped the case, rather than lose it and set a precedent showing they really don't have the unequivocal evidence they claim they do.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060727/1131227.shtml

[Happytears] [Applause] [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 16:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
Would'nt it be easier to sue the actully bit-torrent providers, and the clients to them instead of the user?

Uh, you mean the sites that host the trackers but aren't actually hosting any copyrighted material? Or do you mean the people who develop the software (and then give it away for free)?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 17:15      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the people who develop the software...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted July 28, 2006 17:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the software is illegal because?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 17:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wrong answer. BitTorrent is open source, and provides excellent tracking of all the file sharing. Only a moron would use it for illegally distributing copyright protected content. (Oh, wait a minute...)

Your argument is tantamount to suing gun manufacturers, saying 'people don't kill people, guns kill people.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 17:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that ... certain noise they make ...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 18:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

There's lots of legitimate uses of bittorrent.

I'm sharing the DVD image of Knoppix at the moment, lots of Linux distros (and other free software) use bitTorrent as their preferred method of distribution these days, as do sad gits like these

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture