homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » What's the deal with Tim Hortons? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the deal with Tim Hortons?
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 19:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm in Toronto, and I can't pivot my head without seeing yet another Tim Hortons. I see one, travel one block, and see another one. I duck down a side alley to avoid the main roads, and I run into another one. I go on the side roads thinking I'm safe and a Tim Hortons pops up. I travel to a small suburb, find an ATM in a strip mall and at the end there's a Tim Hortons.

As a yankee doodle, I must ask WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH TIM HORTONS!??!?!!

I have yet to eat at one. Should I??!?!

Update: fixed the offending apostrophes.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 24, 2006 19:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me drools.

Oh, and btw... THERE'S NO APOSTROPHE IN TIM HORTONS!!!! [Mad]

[Big Grin]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 21:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim makes a mighty fine doughnut - fluffier and tastier than Dunkin Donuts, but just as bad for you. Get a nice cup of coffee and have a Canadian Maple doughnut. I think I'm going to have me one of those on the way back from Boston tonight. There's a Tim's between Worchester and Hartford.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 02:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
I must ask WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH TIM HORTON'S!??!?

Persecute the unbeliever!! [Wink]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 03:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy wrote:
THERE'S NO APOSTROPHE IN TIM HORTONS!!!! [Mad]

Got it... no apostrophe in Tim Horton"s [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 03:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[email protected]
Horton&s
Horton?s
Horton۞s
Horton's

No, I think the apostrophe works best.

edit/ post scriptum

What Snaggy must be thinking.
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 05:31      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, time for our daily lesson:

Tim Hortons (often referred to as "Tims"), which was originally named "Tim Horton" (still no apostrophe) after the hockey player started in 1964, and has come to symbolize Canadiana (especially on the east coast). Here in the Atlantic provinces, we have the highest per-capita ratio of Tim Hortons. For instance, there are 78 Tims within 10 miles of my University (including two on campus, and 5 others within walking distance).

Recently, they have merged with Wendy's, and have opened quite a few joint-stores. They have also began publicly trading (as of March, 2006); where on opening day, the shares quickly jumped from $27/share to $38/share.

They are responsible for one of the most popular contests in Canada (roll-up the rim), and may be responsible for the term "Double Double" (meaning a coffee with two cream and two sugars), which has been officially added to the dictionary.

Personally, I feel that their doughnuts have gone down-hill since they stopped making them in-store, and started shipping the frozen pre-made doughnuts from a centralized location and then baking them at the stores at a later date.

That being said, their doughnuts, coffee, iced-capps (for those hot days), and sandwiches are all excellent, and I would recommend you drop in and try some while you can.

********WARNING********
Their coffee is highly addictive (he types as he takes a sip from his double double), and may force you to move to Canada, or a state that has one.

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 05:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... they're like a cheap Canadian imitation of Starbucks ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 07:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
So... they're like a cheap Canadian imitation of Starbucks ?

But better.
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:

Tim Hortons (often referred to as "Tims"), which was originally named "Tim Horton" (still no apostrophe) after the hockey player started in 1964, and has come to symbolize Canadiana (especially on the east coast). Here in the Atlantic provinces, we have the highest per-capita ratio of Tim Hortons. For instance, there are 78 Tims within 10 miles of my University (including two on campus, and 5 others within walking distance).

It's just as much a symbol of 'Canadiana' everywhere else in the country as it is on the east coast.

And I'll put K-W up against any other city in Canada for most Tim Horton's, too.. we've got them by the dozen. It's insane. And they ALL MAKE MONEY!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 25, 2006 08:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tims ain't like Starbucks at all. For one thing, it's older ( think anyway), serves soup and sandwiches and bagels, and is *way* *way* cheaper. Coffee is better too, imho. [Smile]

/me goes to load up on Tims. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 08:31      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

They are responsible for one of the most popular contests in Canada (roll-up the rim), and may be responsible for the term "Double Double" (meaning a coffee with two cream and two sugars), which has been officially added to the dictionary.

Around here a "Double Double" is what you order from In-N-Out, with a side of fries. :drool:

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 09:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Tims ain't like Starbucks at all. For one thing, it's older ( think anyway), serves soup and sandwiches and bagels, and is *way* *way* cheaper. Coffee is better too, imho. [Smile]

/me goes to load up on Tims. [Big Grin]

I thought you were quitting caffeine? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 10:54      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing keeps you awake better then a Tim Hortons coffee.

Even my relatives who come here on vacation from Europe thinks that Tim Hortons coffee is the best.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 25, 2006 11:21      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm I wonder if this topic is flamebait.

Dear, sweet, and lovely Tim Hortons. Last week Snaggy's young, cool, hip, and American neices became assimilated by Canadian Tim Hortons culture on their trip here to visit their Canadian relatives. That's how cool Tim Hortons is!

Compared to StarBucks, Tim Hortons is the all-around winner, except maybe for the pretentious atmosphere at StarBucks. For the price of a latte, or frappe, or sheeeshay, and a small snack at StarBucks, you can get; soup, bagel, donut, and coffee all of which are superior in taste and freshness.

I must disclose, however, that I am an owner of Tim Hortons (bought some shares), because I've noticed a devotion of Tim Hortons fans and supporters that reminded me of Apple fans and supporters, so I thought it was a good bet. Alas, the stock has dropped since I bought it on opening day, but I'm sure it will either dole out nice dividends or rise steadily as it expands into the US and assimilates other cool, hip, young, old Americans. [Razz]

If I may further rant about Starbucks; I HATE their stupid ordering system! Like, come on, it's small medium large!!! Not short, tall, grande, Boom Boom, Forte, Farte! [Mad] Ok, I made up the last three. [Big Grin] There's always a too long wait for your order as well. I was thinking they could improve the humiliating ordering of their products if you could just tick off the details of the expensive coffee on an ordering card, then you could just hand it over to the snobby Barista, without having to sound like a tourist from another country.

(I used to own Starbucks stock, when I was obsessed about them, then sold it, cause it was starting to drop, and I was noticing I was getting headaches after drinking their decaf lattes).

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 11:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac: I'm pretty sure you'd like this, then: http://www.illwillpress.com/sml.html (NSFW for language)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 13:10            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some funny stuff on that site :-)
IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 18:39      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest complaint about Starbuck's is simply that the overroast their beans. It's not good coffee - it's *astringent* coffee.

That out of the way, I did have my nice cup of Tim's coffee this afternoon (and a Canadian Maple Dip). It really is good coffee. It's one of my little treats that I get on my drive from NY to Boston that I do every few weeks.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 20:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...sounds like something I'll have to check out the next time I go there (odds are I'll be kind of burned out sometime in the fall [Wink] ). OTOH, I found a really nice Dunkin' Donuts along the way somewhere in CT. Really polite staff, clean place, nice coffee, and they offered to toast my bagel for me, which turned out rather well (never gotten such an offer in NY). I definitely made a point to stop there again on my way back, and it was a fine break.

Now...if only we could get some Marks & Sparks on our motorways. [Wink] [I [hearts] their BLT.]

--------------------

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 25, 2006 23:02      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Tim Hortons is older than starbucks.

I'm from PA, but I've known that Tim's is the best even when I was a kid. Whenever I go home I see those ads for thier iced coffee drink.

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 06:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by dragonman97: Hmm...sounds like something I'll have to check out the next time I go there (odds are I'll be kind of burned out sometime in the fall [Wink] ).
Exit 67 on I84. Vernon, CT.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 17:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

Around here a "Double Double" is what you order from In-N-Out, with a side of fries. :drool:
.....as opposed to the 'half and half' you can pay $150 for down on the corner.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 18:06      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Hortons is what happens in a country that is too cold to have a Disney World.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 19:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's my lucky day! I pull into my motel in Brockport NY, which is 15 miles from nowhere, and there's a Tim's right in the parking lot. I'm enjoying a Chocolate Mint right now. It's spectacular.
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 04:57      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was thinking they could improve the humiliating ordering of their products if you could just tick off the details of the expensive coffee on an ordering card, then you could just hand it over to the snobby Barista, without having to sound like a tourist from another country.
Joke I heard on Saturday Night Live, during the Weekend Update segment:

"Coffee company Starbucks announced this week that the chain is going to be selling books, in addition to coffee and music. A spokesperson said that they will start selling the books as soon as the barista gets done talking to her friend."

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 18:56      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know who the true coffee lovers are when it peaks 30 degrees celcius, and people are still drinking hot coffee.

At those temperatures, I'm forced to switch to iced-capps.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture