homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Have a good day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - Have a good day
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 06:27      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love George Carlin's riff about the pressure put on you by being wished "have a good day". So I thought I'd share these from Random 1985

1. What is the one outfit/piece of clothing/accessory you own that makes you feel incredibly good whenever you wear it? Why?

2. What do you do to make yourself feel better when you're in a funk?

3. Has anyone ever surprised you in a way that let you know you were special? How?

4. When you are having a "good day," how do you spread the happiness to others?

5. What is one thing that puts you in a bad mood, no matter how good you were previously feeling?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 08:27      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is the one outfit/piece of clothing/accessory you own that makes you feel incredibly good whenever you wear it? Why?

My Uniform. It protects me from so many things.

Beat off. Listen to music. Punch someone.

3. Has anyone ever surprised you in a way that let you know you were special? How?

I had a friend tackle me once as a mortar came inbound. He saved my life.

Throatpunches

5. What is one thing that puts you in a bad mood, no matter how good you were previously feeling?

Liars, cheaters, deserters and Stupid people.

Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 09:13      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My scootering jacket. Because that means I'm going for a ride and it's one of the few times during the day/week/ever that I get to do something alone.

Go for a ride. Go for a run. Play Vice City and snipe innocent civilians that remind me of the people causing the funk. Gas welding.

My son will come up and hug me and tell me that he loves me--or that he really likes doing things with me.

Surprise my family with a special event or little "thinking of you" gifts, let people in front of me in rush-hour traffic, let my staff go home a little early.

Getting yelled at for someone else's mistakes. Especially when that someone is on vacation. And forgot to mention a deadline he knew about a week earlier. Not that I'm bitter.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 09:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My patched up pants and my half-dead hoodie.

They're so damn comfortable.

Aikido, ride my bike, or, if it's really really bad, head for the nearest trailhead and hike it off.

A couple days after my bike wreck back in April my boss's buddy in Denver came by to pick up some reagents we'd prepared for him. He saw my face, commiserrated a bit, and then left. I thought that was it but he told his lab about it (I guess the swelling made an impresssion) and they sent me a card. I didn't think these people really cared one way or the other about me so I was touched.

I smile at them. I wish I could say I do nice things for them but I play nice even when I'm having an incredibly shitty day so that's nothing new.

When someone takes their bad mood out on someone else. Or when a piece of common equipment gets mangled, misused, or destroyed. And bureaucracy. I fscking hate bureaucracy.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 09:40      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I like my Steve Burns: Mighty t-shirt. It's ancient and faded and one of the sleeves is falling off, but it's got the words "what you don't know could make you less interesting" printed across the back, and the word "mighty" across the chest. It's total smart-power.

Fire up some AC/DC and boogie around my room in socks and underwear. Feed my python. Get laid. Drink to excess.

My SO is fixing up my track bike for me. How sweet is that?

While I'm more specialized at spreading fear and loathing, I smile at people on the street. I mean, really smile. A big stupid beam. They usually smile back. Sometimes I'll take a bum out to lunch.

Drama. Also, the end of "Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan" makes me all depressed. [cry baby]

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 09:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this strange sweater thing my mom bought me. It is like a big shaggy red Elmo monster thing. It always makes me smile.

Unless she is causing the funk, being around my daughter always cheers me up. Chocolate is always good too.

A friend staged a "break in" and swapped out my old VCR for a new DVD/VCR combo. She hooked it up and everything. It wasn't so much the gift, which I do like, but the effort she went to to make it a suprise for me.

I am more likely to go the extra mile for an obnxious library patron. I tend to be nice most of the time, so don't know.

Rude drivers. When my boss insults my work with no explanation.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 10:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Sometimes I'll take a bum out to lunch.

If you're being serious, that is so fucking cool. I wish I had the balls to take homeless people out to lunch. Just to see how they think, what they think, how they ended up as they are, etc.

In some cases, I'm sure I'd walk away feeling like they did it to themselves, but in many, I'd probably walk away feeling terrible, and wishing I could help more.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 10:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No particular piece of clothing makes me feel incredibly good, however, I do have one vice when it comes to clothing -- I get this strange feeling of euphoria when I remove my socks. I hate socks, and when I remove them, it's like heaven.

Depends on how bad it is. If it's just moderate annoyance, give Amanda a kiss or hug. She makes me feel better.

If it's really bad, then go for a rollerblade.. the adrenaline brightens my mood somehow.

When Rowan brought me home father's day stuff from school.

Usually ask them to accompany me on some sort of outing to have a little fun -- to the park, out for dinner, to a movie, etc.

Stupidity.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 10:58      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Sometimes I'll take a bum out to lunch.

If you're being serious, that is so fucking cool. I wish I had the balls to take homeless people out to lunch. Just to see how they think, what they think, how they ended up as they are, etc.
Most of the time, they don't want to talk about how they became homeless. I've had some of my most enlightening debates, conversations, and story-swaps with the Harvard Square homeless crowd. One particular dreadlocked Allston street kid helped me realign my whole political worldview after the '04 elections, for instance, and Mr. Butch, the infamous Kenmore Square bum, supplied me with excellent dating advice throughout my sophomore year of college...in trade for Dunkin Donuts coffee. I feel like I got a whole lot more out of that exchange than he did.

I always tote around a couple of paperbacks, too, in case I'm out of change and don't have time to go out to lunch.

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 12:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My UOB Fine Film Society Vice President 05-06 shirt... because it has my name written across the back, which makes me laugh because it looks so ridiculous. And because it reminds me of all the good times I've had with my friends at society events, and how glad I am that I actually did stuff while I was at uni [Razz] .

Call one of my best friends... even if they say completely the wrong thing, just knowing they're there makes me feel better.

My friend Mark let me beat the crap out of him once. It really meant a lot to me.

I dance and sing. I sing everywhere. Oh, and talk to everyone I meet. There's this completely hidden side to me that is incredibly exuberant and extroverted.

Getting yelled at, by anyone over anything, no matter how trivial.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 13:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big bright yellow oversize t-shirt! Not a particular one, I just always like to have one in the wardrobe for emergencies. Oh, and my green 10-hole Docs. If I wear both together, I am invincible.

Music, usually - play some bad guitar if it is a 'sad-funk', or if it is an 'angry-funk' listen to some Pink Floyd to calm the savage breast.

A nice one recently was that I received a very sweet birthday card from a colleague who had retired earlier in the year. Much nicer for being unexpected.

4. When you are having a "good day," how do you spread the happiness to others? I probably take a bit more time to speak to people who I normally don't bother with. Everybody deserves a little attention, but usually there is too much to do.

Someone telling me that they will do something, and then doing the exact opposite! [Mad]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 14:22      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I usually feel good, with most of my stuff. But there are sweaters that are rather old and un-stlyish that I wear when I just want to slip into something that makes me asexual and I can let my guards down completely.

Depends how bad.
Usually, time will do perfectly, together with being alone and good music and something to drink - not necessarily alcohol.
If it's very bad - which never happened - I just do an extended version of the above.

Good question. I don't think so..

I am not sure if I spread happiness. Since I don't watch my facial expression a lot I can't say.
But I guess I am pretty much in a neutral or above-neutral mood and that is usually my "standard" mood and it rarely spreads. Keep your feelings to yourself, positive or negative.

When my dad and I clash together regarding attitudes and preferences. Those who linger around IRC will know what I am talking about.
But usually, I keep going pretty happy.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 04:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised nobody answered question one with "birthday suit". So I do. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 16:36      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite suit.... there's nothing like the fit of a good suit (yes, I said it..... don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the same if I was forced to wear the full suit to work everyday.)

Loud music, and some woodworking... or designing some furniture... just making something with my hands.... it helps me think about something else.

When people consider me the "go to" person for advice, or gives me a compliment on something I designed.

I buy people coffee!!!

Crappy customers at work, or REALLY BORING lectures at school

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 22:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'd say this one blue shirt I have. I just like it, and it reminds me of someone I knew a long time ago. If I could have that person's luck, things would be awfully nice. [Smile]

Coffee, I'd say. I tried to read something kind of meaningful, but couldn't quite focus on anything serious, so I worked on a stray crossword puzzle that I had in my briefcase whilst enjoying some coffee.

I'd say 'yes,' but my memory sucks, so I can't actually recall - I'm pretty sure this one friend of mine did a variety of such nice things for me. [Razz]

Well, especially if coffee's surrounded the good day, I might have an actual smile on my face. [Razz] In such a case, I'm probably also more pleasant than usual. If friends are around, I might be more willing to buy them food - the great irony is that a number of my friends aren't big on coffee.

Unpleasant arguments. Hearing bad news from good friends. Being told to do pointless things. Typing shoddily composed sentence fragments. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture