homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » schools and cell phones (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: schools and cell phones
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 18:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
question: What student is going to hand over their cell phone when they know there is info concerning drugs on it? I know teachers have unfair powers over students, but that still dosn't give them permission to tear a cell phone away from a student. Plus any smart student would just smash the phone to the ground or better just not even keep drug related messages on it.

Actually, I'm quite sure they have the power to 'rip it away.' Smashing the phone is destruction of evidence, and quite a foolish thing to do. Data recovery people are sharp and all. [Smile]

Please be rational...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 19:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I think the coordinating of schedules thing is a bit of a weenie excuse for the SUV and soccer mom set. School's out at 3:30. Be there, both of you.

Maybe for the soccer mom set, but I'm a guy working a full day who happens to do it from home. So I not only had to accomplish a full day's worth of work, but I had to get my kids shuttled around and fed. Them being able to call me when they were *really* available, rather than at a pre-determined time gave me back hours each month when I would otherwise be waiting 5 - 10 minutes for them each day.

Of course, it's moot now. One is in college and the other leaves school at exactly the same time 3 days a week so she can catch a train.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 19:07      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hold the kids, and bring the parents in, checking the phone with their consent.

Except it pretty well established that educational institutions already have permission to act in the place of the parents...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_loco_parentis

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 19:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo wrote:
Yes, and I'll be 40 next month and I can hear it, OUCH! For those of you wanting to hear this file you can find it HERE.

Curious... on one of my computers, I can hear it perfectly. On the laptop, however, it doesn't make a sound, even though everything else plays and the software indicates that it's playing and has volume. There's something weird about the soundcard in this thing.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 20:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:
Hold the kids, and bring the parents in, checking the phone with their consent.

Except it pretty well established that educational institutions already have permission to act in the place of the parents...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_loco_parentis

Thanks...I was looking for something like that.

However, I believe you'll notice I have posted with the consistent message that the school can do it... this particular tangent was addressed at putting a burden on the parents. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 21:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in HS I did the shuttling after I got my license. This meant I was coordinating my schedule and my siblings' schedules (that was four busy schedules total). None of us had phones. Somehow it worked. I had to rip their heads off a few times for either not being ready on time or springing something on me at the last second (this one I also laid into my parents about once or twice). I dre my youngest sister up a very detailed schedule because she was completely unable to grasp the concept of travel time. If an activity started at 4 she couldn't understand why we had to start the ten minute drive at ten to four. She also had a hard time with the idea that in order to depart on time one must have all their shit together on time, so I basically laid out her entire week with when the activities started, when we had to leave, and when she had to be ready. I also got phenomenally good at managing time, a skill that has served me well.

Now all my siblings and myself are out of the house. A couple of us are even out of college. I am the only one without a cellphone. I'm not so important that anyone needs to reach me at any time in any place and neither are most of the people with phones. So not having a phone is my way of saying "fsck you" to the rest of the world. They're not even that comfortable to use/hold either.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 21:02      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Bibo wrote:
Yes, and I'll be 40 next month and I can hear it, OUCH! For those of you wanting to hear this file you can find it HERE.

Curious... on one of my computers, I can hear it perfectly. On the laptop, however, it doesn't make a sound, even though everything else plays and the software indicates that it's playing and has volume. There's something weird about the soundcard in this thing.

I can't hear it on my G4 that has Apple digital speakers on it, but I can hear it loud & clear on my Wife's G4 with regular external speakers.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 21:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I got another idea, blending in something from qf:
Most of these cell phones have been bought and paid for by the parents. Hold the kids, and bring the parents in, checking the phone with their consent. Don't release the kid (suspension/detention) until the parent arrives, and the reason for search is explained. The only catch I can see is that the parents would not give consent, as their child can do no wrong.

Did you see the recent /. article about the kid who got suspended for making death threats against a teacher, and the parents hired a lawyer to sue the school?

Complaining to some parents about their kid is like complaining to your mother-in-law about your wife.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 05:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: *nod* It's the whole idea of people running around frantically ringing and messaging each other in a panic because they completely failed to get themselves organised once again that puts me off mobile phones. What it does mean however is that even if one is exactly where one should be, on time, and one's "friends" are not, then without a phone it is then impossible to do anything but stare at the wall for a while wondering what on earth is going on. And if you don't even like them, bugger off after 20 minutes.

I also like the idea that when I am on the bus for example, I have that distant separation from the world. No Internet access, no telephone, just me. It's great. (I'd not turn down being with a good friend in person were that possible, but I am not having people ring me.) (Having said that, I was not aware that you can get broadband Internet over the cell network via a card in your laptop and now I am suitably impressed. Works well in Long Beach, but apparently sucks in wherever lili's parents live in Colo.)

I hate telephones [Smile] We need to find a way to bend spacetime so that they ring when you want them to ring and not when you don't. Even just a little bit, so that when I have to run around the house to get to the sodding thing, the caller won't ring off the instant I lift the handset (the odds on this happening are near zero but it happens far too often to be a joke any more). Sometimes I refuse to even go answer it out of protest, since no-one is ever actually calling me anyway, I just happen to be the only one in the house.

IM and e-mail, however, are great as you can reply exactly when you choose [Smile] This is also true of text messages, as long as you can beat up the phone until it doesn't screetch every time it sends or receives one.

IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 06:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I hate telephones [Smile] We need to find a way to bend spacetime so that they ring when you want them to ring and not when you don't. ...Sometimes I refuse to even go answer it out of protest, since no-one is ever actually calling me anyway, I just happen to be the only one in the house.

I let my phone ring if I don't want to answer it. I don't even look at the caller ID. People who call me know this and accept it. Many people feel obligated to jump to answer a phone that rings. I command my phone, not the other way around.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 06:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, but then I get in trouble for not answering it. And besides, I'd want a remote control to shut the fucking ringer off, calling out to me "ANSWER ME, ANSWER ME, ANSWER ME, ANSWER ME" in that horrible screetch noise phones all make (although I figure that I hate the noise by negative association of the nuisance that phones are. If the odds were it was a nice girl calling I might welcome the sound instead. But that never happens.)
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture