homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - Finding GC! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five - Finding GC!
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2006 10:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have ideas for a Friday Five? My brain is fried from work and running after D-M.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 24, 2006 10:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about... The Friday Five quick survey about GeekCulture.com

1. How did you find this place?

2. What do you like most about this place?

3. What do you like least?

4. What would you do to improve this place?

5. Any other comments?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2006 11:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy:
The Friday Five quick survey about GeekCulture.com

/., w.r.t. AY2K

Great people, amusing comics

Trolls

Not sure... and I don't think N, w/B is an appropriate response in this case. [Wink]

5. Any other comments?
AYBABTU. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2006 11:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went looking for joyoftech on t'internet after getting into the comic in Macworld magazine.

It's the mix of people - IRL it is not so easy to swap opinions with people from such a varied range of ages, experience, political opinion etc. And then following on from that, I've spent some very pleasant evenings with those people in IRC. That wouldn't have happened without this place.

Right now - there's an annoying little pop-up window that first appeared about a fortnight ago. GRRRR!

Dunno - apart from squashing the aforementioned pop-up!

5. Any other comments?
Not really - this is a nice place, so I just want S & N to keep on doin' what they do
[Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 05:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember now. Followed a link from LowEnd Mac or As the Apple Turns or somewhere most likely.

The easy going atmosphere that allows young and old, new and long standing, experts and the inexperienced, exchange views and advice in a way that it is often very difficult to achieve IRL

I get tired of the 3 post wonders and the homework spongers - but I guess that goes with the territory. Overall I think it is pretty good (A2YK doesn't get updated often enough... [Wink]

Originally by Grummash
quote:
Right now - there's an annoying little pop-up window that first appeared about a fortnight ago. GRRRR!

I don't get this Grummash - have you got all the usual blockers etc. turned on?

I guess it wouldn't hurt if the Geek Culture Section got a workover once in a blue moon - but then again I think most of the regulars come here for the Forum and other than an option to ignore perpetual annoyance posters that works pretty well

5. Any other comments?
Nope not really

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 07:07      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly can't remember.... but likely through slashdot

Definately the forums, it'd good to have a place where I can post as myself, about things I'm actually interested in

I'll go for the trolls... but I usually just ignore them... so it's really not that big of an issue.

Maybe if the "preview" button would work when you typed in your user-name and password.
Right now, I have to post my reply, and then edit if there are any mistakes.

5. Any other comments?
Keep it up folks... this site's really good

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 10:01      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I honestly don't remember. I think I typed in something Mac related and got one of your comics or threads.

The lively and friendly (sometimes) forums, the cynical members and the great comics.

That annoying pop-up Grummash mentioned.

Nope [Smile] Except for the pop-up, this place is purr-fect.

5. Any other comments?

What happened to those competitions??

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 10:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

one boring cs class of googling and i was introduced to this awesome community.

most people are really helpfull especially if you have a tech related question.

ummm nothing really

nothing right now, this place is pretty cool.

5. Any other comments?

one more exam (history) and then free for the summer.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 12:04      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe I've participated in any of these Friday Five threads yet, but I feel this one is important. [Smile]

Five years ago, when I was about 15, I was googling for geek dating, or geek love, or something similar. I ended up here. I stayed because of the number of people that thought like I did.

Many of the people here are great. The comic is always humorous. Most importantly, the excellent friends I have gained, and a meaningful relationship that have resulted in the time I've spent here.

The inability of many to remain civil when issues of controversy arise. The flaming of "n00bs". At one time, we were all that new person.

A nice "ignore poster" feature would be helpful. I imagine it would help those who feel the need to feed trolls by giving them an alternative. [Wink]

5. Any other comments?
Snaggy and Nitrozac, you rock! [Cool]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 12:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...
/me nudges Spiderman towards the Superfan Forums... ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 13:08      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Serenak:
Originally by Grummash

quote: Right now - there's an annoying little pop-up window that first appeared about a fortnight ago. GRRRR!

I don't get this Grummash - have you got all the usual blockers etc. turned on?

When I ditched Safari in favour of Firefox (V1.0.7) I went straight to Preferences and selected "block pop-ups". Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when two pop-ups started...well... popping up. They are both from tribalfusion.com, one advertises smileys to download and one advertises a free X-box. They both only appear when I visit GC. [ohwell]

Is there something I should be doing which i am not doing? [Confused]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 14:04      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Um...
/me nudges Spiderman towards the Superfan Forums... ;P

Aaaaah, nice! [Big Grin]

And to everyone else, this is your call to purchase a superfan subscription! [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 15:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash, no idea. I use AdBlock in 1.0.7, but I'm not blocking anything from here except one single TribalFusion GIF I must have found annoying, and the stupid ratings stars. So in theory, if you're getting them from TribalFusion, there must be something different that you and SilverBlade get. Since I don't have the same problem, I cannot investigate for you, but I'd be curious to see the JavaScript involved.

Right now I have an Ad Council ad for sisterhood. Is there something about my sexuality that y'all haven't told me about?

I'll answer just question #1 -- The Joy of Tech cartoon got linked once or twice in the #macintosh channel on Undernet back in about 2002 and I found the forums that way.

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 16:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann: I get them as well, and they're really starting to piss me off. This particular ad campaign binds itself to various DOM elements/events, so it's hard to avoid. (either to click events, or blur() [Wink] I really don't care about the University of Phoenix online!!! I have a degree, thank you very much. [Smile]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 16:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange... I just use Tiger and Safari (with block pop ups on) and i have no problems...

Maybe you guys have followed some link or been to some site that has enabled some cookie or something?

I don't really know - just saying i don't get it...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 18:14      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. How did you find this place? Digital Bill mentioned GC over at Leoville, back when TechTV was still great.

2. What do you like most about this place? The mix of people. The people here talk about everything. They don't really hold grudges after a disagreement, which is not the case at some boards. It is really nice that people take my non-techie tech questions seriously.

3. What do you like least? Not sure

4. What would you do to improve this place? Wine bar and tapas food on the weekends.

5. Any other comments?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 19:35      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stumbled into the #joyoftech channel late one night, met a lot of cool people, ended up signing up to the boards some months laters.

The comics [Smile]

Probably the formatting of the pages, its a little messy, but thats just me.

Neaten up the formatting.

5. Any other comments?
Yeah, GC and #joyoftech rules [Smile]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 20:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A followup about the ads - I just got another one.

Here's all the Javascript that was on the page ("Active Topics"). I can't be bothered to figure out the really evil stuff near the bottom. (sourced in from tribalfusion)

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 00:07      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Macaddict on The Disc...

The comics of course, forum folk, irc, m00ting!

Trolls, spam, popups

All is well with the site...

5. Any other comments?

When will The Best of JoT Vol 2 come out?

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 01:41      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through a friend who used to come here.

The intelligence and friendly attitude of the people.

Those damned pop-ups that mock me even when I have blockers on.

Whore it up and get more geeks in. [Wink]

5. Any other comments?
I wish some of the people I knew way back when would come back and post lots.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 04:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article on Wired about the cake crazyarlo made to celebrate OS X's birthday, which linked to a similarly themed JoT, which sent me skipping over here [Big Grin] .

Unquestionably the people, and the variety of interesting, funny and useful discussions. It's the least creepy place on teh intarweb [Smile] . I mean, I'm not even a computer geek, and I've still been hanging around here for the past four years...
A week ago I would have said (like others) the nasty TribalFusion pop-up. However, I switched from Firefox (with pop-up blockers) to Opera the other day (god, how I love it so - Opera has changed my life, I tells ya!) and now have no problems [Smile] .

Um, it's pretty great as it is [Smile] .

5. Any other comments?
I'll just take the opportunity to thank our benevolent leaders for being so damned awesome [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 05:17      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac's Slashdot interview. Seriously.

AY2K. It's still the page I come to first.

Honestly? The way JoT has become so Apple-centric. It seems like an increasing proportion of the panels make little sense (or at least are unfunny) to those of us who neither use Macs nor follow the Mac news & rumors sites. ( don't use an iPod -- or any mp3 player -- either, so I was looking for a "from the ninth circle of Hell" option in today's Joypoll, which I obviously failed to find). [Wink]

Put AY2K back on a regular schedule. I understand that you don't get the book revenue from that strip, but I also note that the poll counts nowadays pale in comparison to those from The AY2K heyday, even when that strip was new daily. Whether that's indicative of total pageviews, or just that the Quickpoll contains an additional joke that the Joypoll doesn't, I can't say.

5. Any other comments?
N & S, thanks for all your hard work on both these strips. If I'd known this poll was going to be here, I would've worn my autographed AWE T-Shirt!

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 07:45      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about... The Friday Five quick survey about GeekCulture.com

Searching for geek comics on the web because I didn't feel like working

Not to crowded like most forums. It's the same people posting every day. Almost like a family on the web.

Not enough AY2K

Continue on with AY2K

5. Any other comments?
Can someone bring me some coffee?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:27      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
5. Any other comments?
AYBABTU. [Smile]

I've never seen that before, but it took me like 2 seconds to figure it out. I'm so lame...

Google for Apple Commics.

The company.

People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Default Hot Pink templates with 1.9em purple text.

5. Any other comments?
I like chicken

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:27      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly can't remember... something Mac-related, I think.

The people, of course.

There isn't much...

I think I'd like it to have just a few more people, as long as the atmosphere didn't change for the worse.

And I'd like more 'let's get creative' competitions. Perhaps not for prizes, but I'd like to see some Photoshop competitions, site redesign competitions, drawing competitions, writing competitions etc.

Oh, and I don't like links that open in popup windows. [Wink]

5. Any other comments?
Nope... just a big congratulations to everyone for making something so cool.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture