homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Taking desktop to a new level

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking desktop to a new level
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 18:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this while browsing through OS News.

BumpTop Desktop

It is fascinating to watch. But I don't think it is for me.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 11 posted June 21, 2006 19:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief  -

I was always under the impression that the whole point of a computer was to allow us to keep stuff tidy? So now they want us to make a worse mess out of our desktops? My desktop is covered in icons that are captioned and vertically oriented and I still can't find them, but if they were all nameless and upside down and skewiff I'd find it harder :P And there's colateral damage with bumping, and trying not to bump the files that were not meant to move (a problem in the real world too; I presume that in the new system, removing an item from the middle of the pile won't result in the pile collapsing all over the floor!)

Certainly they've put a lot of time into in, and I presume the lack of filenames is paranoid privacy or a lack of imagination (otherwise this is plain retarded), but still, no, I think I'll stick to folders for now :) (But I do need to tidy my desktop again, grr)

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 19:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must confess that in a practical sense, I believe it to be thorougly useless. From a comp. sci. theory point of view, it is certainly clever... but their implementation has a massive fscking limitation: Who's brilliant idea was it to make this interface revolve around the worst possible version of Windows Explorer? Icon view without captions is beyond moronic. If you're going to use icons like that, at the very least you should copy KDE, and have icons that generate thumbnails of docs (KDE includes text [.txt, .doc, {.pdf?}]). A bajillion PDF icons like that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in awhile - it is thorougly impossible to derive meaning from that. It only began to make some degree of sense once they looked at pictures & windows.

Also, I can't say I agree with the idea of using a pen to manage this as practical. Asking people to use such a forced replica of real life on a small screen with a pen is much akin to playing with food using a toothpick.

If the icons were replaced by something useful...it'd really kick ass when teamed with this tech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJKDBfdwabk&search=nyu%20multiple%20touch
*That* is a piece of tech that I am most interested in these days regarding HCI!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 04:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the idea was to display how such an interface can be made to work rather than to concentrate on the actual documents themselves.

A very interesting concept and one they have obvioulsy worked hard on. Yes - IRL you would need previews and/or filenames just like you do now (of course there is also the problem that their interface works lovely in that video with a few tens of documents... then you would need to extend the reality metaphor with folders, and filing cabinets and tool drawers and.... I am sure it will find some sort of real life application and be a great success, but as a mainstream computer GUI I just don't see it working (might do for sort of mini tablet/super palmtop type device though - one where you only need to be dealing with a limited number of files at any time...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 07:13      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My work desk is a huge mess. My desk at home is even worse. But my computer desk tops are very neat and tidy. I make little folders for every thing. I can find any document I want in a matter of seconds. I have a very good system for storing stuff on my computers. On my Mac I have 5 icons. On my PC I have ...... More then that but they are all games. Thats all I use the PC for.

But as far as the video goes. It's very preatty. But I don't think it's all that user friendly looking.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 07:24      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My desktop at home as 4 icons on it. My Computer, My Docs, Jaceraven.net, Firefox.

My desktop at work has 56 icons.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 09:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My desktop has 0 icons. [Smile]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 09:32      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

DOS is not really considered a desktop. Get with the times. At leaste upgrade to a 386.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 12:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

DOS is not really considered a desktop. Get with the times. At leaste upgrade to a 386.
ha! Nevar! I love my 8086.

In all seriousness though, *hugs fvwm*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 13:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks mostly useless, but if you use scaled down thumbnails of pictures for the icons, it would probably be fairly good for sorting large numbers of digital images.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 17:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it!

I know people who "organize" their entire lives that way.

My actual desktop is kept very neat, or I'd lose paperwork very quickly. But during the day my virtual work desktop gets piled with downloads from research. Clumping stuff into a pile and stuffing it into a virtual folder would be perfect for me.

There is a lot of stuff that I work with that doesn't need to be alpha-numerically categorized and this would be ideal for that kind of information.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ro.hernandezz
Newbie Larva
Member # 5313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 14:42      Profile for ro.hernandezz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be useful as a way to sort pictures or notes.

For example i have a folder with about 1000 pictures that's just been sitting in my hard drive for months and with this it'd at least be kind of fun to sort them in groups for iPhoto.

--------------------
=I hate mornings... I'd like them better if they started later!=

Posts: 8 | From: Mexico DF | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture