homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Peak a boo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peak a boo!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 11 posted May 28, 2006 17:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I defiled your holy land and set a world record!

And at -40, you know there was shrinkage...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 18:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What. The. Fsck.

That's all I'm gonna say about that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 20:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure he wasn't Canadian?

They're usually the ones who need to blame the "wind-chill factor" [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 08:04      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm.... I think I'll let that one be...

btw... I tried the hyperlink, and got 404'd

Steen, are you sure that's the right address?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 10:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just opened it and it works for me. Here are the basic bits of the story:

After reaching the 8,848m-high peak at 7:05 am on Wednesday, the 25-year-old took off his clothes at a temperature of -40șC. He remained naked for three minutes and was photographed.

“It is an extraordinary feat that proves how hardy Sherpas are,” said Ishwori Poudel, managing director of Himalayan Guides Trek and Expeditions, the agency employing Lakpa. “People are running out of ideas for new records. Maybe that led Lakpa to do what he did.”

While the feat may earn a place in the Guinness Book and Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, it has shocked some among the mountaineering community, especially Buddhist climbers, who regard the mountain as sacred.

“I was shocked to hear that a Sherpa stood nude atop the holy mountain for the sake of creating a record,” said Ang Tshering Sherpa, president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, which is entrusted with promoting mountain tourism and mountaineering in Nepal. “The Mother Goddess is holy to us and the deed is tantamount to defiling her.”

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Powderhound
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4519

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 10:40      Profile for Powderhound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never been to everest, but know several people who have (only 1 as a climber) and the overwhelming first impression they all have is one of filth; you can smell it from 20 km's away; over the past century virtually everyone and anyone who's visited have carried crap in that they didn't carry out; it is one massive garbage dump; what is up with that? if you have the coin and the means to carry it in you should have the means to carry it out; Also, last i heard, there were no facilities up there so it all just sits and slowly decomposes away (and i do mean slowly; if you've ever spent time in cold, dry places, you'd understand...the rate of decompostion is glacially slow). if it truly was such a sacred site to all these people, they'd treat it as such. They (climbers, guides, tourists, sherpas) should get over themselves and realize that they're simply selfish grandstanders for whom the entire world is their stage,.. or dump or toilet.
Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 13:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, not everyone in the world practices Leave No Trace. It's not even that hard, especially below the bergschrund when you can ust chuck it in a crevasse and let the mountain do the rest. You just gotta get over yourself.

Parts of the French Alps look like a toilet. You know a foreign team came through on Denali because they left their shit out in the open, thereby completely destroying a good tent site and polluting the snow people melt to drink. People seem to be more polite in South America - I don't recall seeing any brown piles on the peaks down there.

There have been clean-up expeditions to Everest to collect teh oxygen bottles left behind. I'm not sure what drives people to do stuff like that. Alti-stupidity maybe.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture