homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Lawyers ate my brain!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawyers ate my brain!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 15:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shock! Horror!

While US lawyers are supposed to be capable of anything, and of course I know nothing of the actual facts here, but my initial reaction to this is, to misquote Hamlet, he doth protest too much, methinks.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 15:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know all the facts either, but I do know that the law firm that filed the class action suit has acknowledged that they had no written authorization from the guy and that they have requested that he pay their fees for the case.

How much would you protest if a law firm decided you owed them thousands of dollars for a lawsuit you didn't authorize them to file?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 15:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies to Calli - I haven't read the article, but a little phrase springs to mind "unsolicited goods and services"...

The lawyers wouldn't get away with it over here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 16:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Apologies to Calli - I haven't read the article, but a little phrase springs to mind "unsolicited goods and services"...

As I read TFA, the phrase that sprang to mind was from Shakespeare...

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI", Part IV

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 11:28      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Which in context of the play does not mean what you are implying. That was said by Dick the Butcher (follower of the "rebel" Jack Cade). Lawyers being one of society's protections from anarchy one must kill the lawyers first if one want to escape punishment for ones crimes.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 18:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Which in context of the play does not mean what you are implying. That was said by Dick the Butcher (follower of the "rebel" Jack Cade). Lawyers being one of society's protections from anarchy one must kill the lawyers first if one want to escape punishment for ones crimes.
As with much of The Bards work, it can be taken two ways, he wasn't above throwing in a lawyer joke to please the plebs, while making a deeper point for the more thoughtful members of the audience.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2006 17:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are, unfortunately, some extremely aggressive law firms out here in California. They are a bit like Mongols in suits, roving the state looking for an opportunity to sack a company, or any group, it seems, by means of a lawsuit. It sounds like Tomczak has, unfortunately, run afoul of one of those unscrupulous firms in their search for a payday by any means possible.

Lately there have been some judgements that have restricted law firms' ability to use lawsuits as a quick payday, so hopefully this will eventually go before a judge who will put a stop to the crap this firm is pulling.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture