homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » This one is for Xanthine...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This one is for Xanthine...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 11 posted May 23, 2006 21:23            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things that Absolutely Cannot Happen ... but do ... (Part 2)

Before I went out to London on Sunday morning, I shoved my palmtop on charge for a few minutes. It was at maybe 53% when I had to go get the bus.

That was Sunday. Now it's Wednesday morning, and, it reads 97%. 97% Apparently something in my room is exuding battery mana which my Revo is absorbing and using to charge the battery while it's lying around on the table or stuffed in my coat pocket on the door, where it's been since Sunday night until a while earlier.

I know the battery gauge is a bit iffy, but to gain nearly 80% more power? It loses 6% per day when not in use (to power the RAM and clock), but I've regained that, all the power used on Sunday, and an extra 45% or so on top of that.

Does this mean that I'm going to get arrested by the Science Police for repeated violations of the laws of physics? I need to dig out my sonic screwdriver and scarf and do some investigation.

IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 22:53      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there a temperature change? Warm temperatures can cause batteries to seem over-zesty, but then cold temperatures can allow them go regain a little bit of their juice when under little or no use. We have a whole system for charging deep cycle batteries here, and it is entirely temperature dependent.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 23:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh? There's no way the charge could go from about 20% (or whatever it was at by 1 am Sunday) to 98% (what I first saw when I checked earlier) from ambient temperature change alone.

I think the OS has flipped its lid -- it's a flaw in the software battery gauge that happens when it gets really confused; you end up with a mad random figure that a reboot won't cure. Owing to other hardware failure too complex to mention, I'm going to have to hard reset it and restore from back-up to clear the mess it's got itself into.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 23:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my rules for truly weird shit: 1) if no one else is there to witness it, you're probably hallucinating and 2)if it only happens once, it's not worth worrying about. If it's reproducible, then you start investigating.

That said, my first instinct is to make sure your power gauge is working right. Batteries are weird.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 23:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, you reckon I should lay off these mushrooms?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 04:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann_________________Are they black caps, the mushrooms that is? Hey and looking at the word mushrooms, is this where they send Huskies? Batteries and their chargers have become PFM (pure F***ing Majic) if they work they work, if they don't your wallet gets lighter.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon I was saved by the ley lines the other day - my camera should surely have died just a little before it actually did. Don't ask me why...but I think I was so tired the other day that I forgot to charge my spare battery (or so the indicator leads me to believe), and I very nearly repeated a stupid mistake. Mind you, there's a sizable chance the pictures could be crap anyway, but at least I got the chance to take them!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 08:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right dman. The new glass cube Apple Store is a disguised Mayan temple which acts as a sort of karmic amplifier, intensifying some the complex subatomic forces around New York and focussing them on your camera. Freak atmospheric conditions transferred the effect over the Atlantic to Uilly's palmtop.

Obvious really.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 08:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan: It's two internal AAA NiMH cells that cannot be removed; the charger circuitry (and sensor array) is all on the motherboard. What's happened is that OS's take on the battery strength has become random -- on occasions the OS reads a figure different to the hardware. Unforunately, the hardware battery sensors don't work any more, so it will only do fast charge (a thermal sensor tells it to step down), and I have no idea how long to charge it for to get to 100%. I can't just leave it on fast charge until it's done, as that will be forever and the battery will vapourise in the process. Another device takes it off fast charge after 5 minutes of sitting at 100%, but that doesn't work either! If you reset/reboot the OS, it doesn't fix the OS battery status.

Hence I can do little but let it drain until it loses all the memory content, recharge it from zero so that the OS starts over, and restore from back-up.

I did send it in for service last year to fix the batteries (assuming they were dying -- it was well over three years old) but after what become a saga in itself, they fixed nothing. I didn't realise until the very end that the batteries were "fine" (getting old, but still working), but the sensor array was broken and I was not getting any working calibration out of it.

dragonman97: I've never seen evidence of low battery affecting camera images. Nor any reason why it should. Besides, the camera should stop running long before that point to prevent it from writing to the memory card on a dying battery, as that can be spectacularly fatal for the file system on the card.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 13:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had something similar happen with a calculator many moons ago.

The rather old and tired batteries typically needed recharged twice a week, but this time they mysteriously 'got better', I got over 2 weeks of solid use out of them, and then they died completely, never accepted charge again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 14:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth uilleann:
dragonman97: I've never seen evidence of low battery affecting camera images. Nor any reason why it should. Besides, the camera should stop running long before that point to prevent it from writing to the memory card on a dying battery, as that can be spectacularly fatal for the file system on the card.

I never said the dying batteries caused the images to be crap. You falsely inferred that. Rainy weather meant the images might look crap, as the background was nothing to write home about. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 12:03      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U,

Back when I was married, money disappeared from my bank account all the time.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 13:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I had something similar happen with a calculator many moons ago.

The rather old and tired batteries typically needed recharged twice a week, but this time they mysteriously 'got better', I got over 2 weeks of solid use out of them, and then they died completely, never accepted charge again.

There is only one conceivable explanation for all this.

Elves.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture