homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » New Macbooks!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Macbooks!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 06:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what do you think?

I'm amazed that you have to pay extra to get one in black. Apart from that, the price is very competitive, especially with an educational discount.

I wouldn't be surprised if I own one within 6 months.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 06:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1280 res at 13" ooooooo.

Colour-wise I'd like two-tone black and silver myself, or (as black is too dark, and white too bright) very dark grey and silver. Failing that, plain silver. D'oh.

Grr. No silver one doing that lovely res! 1280 at 13" !!

IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 06:42      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stunned that as I'm writing this they've been
up for a half hour and there's still no word on MacSurfers
or CNet, et.al. Ah, ha! Looks like /. spotted it.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 06:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Well, what do you think?

I'm amazed that you have to pay extra to get one in black.

The top of the range in Apple products is usually poor value for money, but this is especially so, though black does look rather spiffy. Yes I'd like the midrange one. A lot.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 08:15      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's the build quality? If they're as good as Powerbooks or Thinkpads, I just might sell my 12" PB and grab one of those nifty little toys.

EDIT: Looks like they have integrated video instead of a dedicated video card, meaning they won't be that good at running Vista when (and if) it finally comes out. Two grand for a Macbook Pro or $1500 for a comparably-equipped Thinkpad T60? Decisions, decisions...

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 08:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOoooooooooooo....not the glossy screens. Why Apple, why???

I'll have to see it before I'll consider really fawning over it. Those things are invariably nightmares with glare, and look stupid.

And now back to our regularly scheduled drooling. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 09:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Well, what do you think?

I'm amazed that you have to pay extra to get one in black. Apart from that, the price is very competitive, especially with an educational discount.

I wouldn't be surprised if I own one within 6 months.

I looked at apples web site and you do get a couple extras with the black one, Larger HD ..... and ..... Well that put's it at $50 more for black. The HD is the only difference other then color that I saw. Anyone else see a differnce in them?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 16, 2006 10:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally! Monitor spanning for the low end notebook! The Steve taketh, and the Steve giveth back.

ha ha, yep only Apple would charge more for black. I guess it's because it absorbs more of the light spectrum. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 10:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To decide whether the black one is worth getting, you have to calculate whether the ridicule garnered for spending so much extra offsets its utter coolness.

Hmmm.... tricky decision. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 13:15      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
NOoooooooooooo....not the glossy screens. Why Apple, why???

You mean like the Vaio? Ugh. I was drooling over the dual core Intel, the integrated iSight, etc, etc., but a glossy screen ... that'd make me switch right back to PCs, if you can't get a non-glossy.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 16:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the major manufacturers seem to be putting out the glossy screens. Somehow, I think it connotes a better, 'glassier' picture to uninformed consumers. Either that, or display makers couldn't figure out a better way to increase sales of their wares, while charging the same prices (if not more). Pure speculation on my part would suggest that maybe just maybe it reduces the need for backlighting with more light? Maybe? Personally, I'd expect the glare to be terrible. I've never liked them whenever they've come across my desk, but I haven't used any such laptops for a prolonged period of time.

I visited an Apple store today...needless to say, one was not there to be seen. [Razz] But I went mostly just to see the place. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 19:14      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Pure speculation on my part would suggest that maybe just maybe it reduces the need for backlighting with more light? Maybe? Personally, I'd expect the glare to be terrible.

I started using CART at college last year - captioned audio in real time. Essentially, a court reporter types on a steno keyboard and the text comes up on a computer screen. One of the stenotypists had a Vaio with the glossy screen, and the glare was horrendous. We generally tried to keep it oriented halfway between her and me (the stenotypist doesn't need to see the screen, but it's helpful), but the viewable angle was tiny. Blech. Nasty stuff.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 20:26      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, does anyone else thing that the macbook looks like a Dell Latitude laptop? To me it does...

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 17, 2006 04:30      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I looked at apples web site and you do get a couple extras with the black one, Larger HD ..... and ..... Well that put's it at $50 more for black. The HD is the only difference other then color that I saw. Anyone else see a differnce in them?
The black one comes preloaded with the complete U2
[Wink]

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 06:11      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me curses Apple for not releasing a 12" MacBook Pro.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 06:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angryjungman: Random aside: what happens if you get two boobs that don't belong to the same girl? I suppose all the better, really?

(Actually, how would you express that limit in SQL? A limit that you don't care what value you get for each row for a given column, as long as the value is the same for each. Reminds me of one of my Most Hated CSS problems [Wink] I don't know how wide all these divs need to be, but as long as they're the same ...)

Luke: You serious? Dell haven't finally made a smooth, sleek machine have they? Good grief. Actually I think I have seen some nice-looking Dells; what I'm looking for is one that's not all lumpy-bumpy like most PC notebooks seem to be, slopey, bits sticking out to snag and get ripped off. Apple seem to be the only notebook manufacturer who have a clue what a notebook is meant to look like -- parallel, flat, smooth and nothing to snag or bump. I do prefer silver though to space-age sterile white or jet black.

IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 17:30      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a service standpoint It's solid... for you folks who want to upgrade the HDD later... it's easy as pie... It's a CIP (Customer Installable Part). Basically a MacBook Pro without the Card slot and a real GPU.

I don't like the Flat Key keyboard... this will be the bane of the touch typist. Also if the keyboard goes bad, it's fused tot he top case... You will need a whole top case( trackpad included) to correct it. My recomendation to, buy an APP (AppleCare Protection Plan). This is of course V1.0, and there will be bugs. I will post other opinions when i actually get them...

macmcseboy ACPT/ACDT

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 06:30      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Angryjungman: Random aside: what happens if you get two boobs that don't belong to the same girl? I suppose all the better, really?

Most definitely. Of course, if I did LIMIT 3, I'd probably be having an even better time, given I wasn't with Eccentrica Gallumbits, The Triple-Breasted Whore Of Eroticon Six....

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture