homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five Its all in the name (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Friday Five Its all in the name
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 18:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I make the request that no one under the age of 16 post your name here, just for your personal safety?

EDITED: Removed my name. Just 'cause. I really like being called "Rhonnie." In fact, sometimes I find myself signing letters with that name.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 18:31      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Do you like your birth-name? Why?
I do like my name.... Craig's a good Scottish name.
2) If you could change your name to anything else, what would it be?
Jack (that way when someone calls me a Jackass, they'd be half right)
3) What names would you consider giving your children?
Boy: William
Girl: Maia (By the way Maia, I don't think it's plain at all)
4) If you had a band, what would you name it, and why?
I'd name it "That band"... so people could say "I'm going to see that band tonight", and everyone would be confused.
5) Is there a name that you completely hate? Why?
I have to say, I don't really hate any name, but I do hate parents that give their kids stupid names (I'd like to quote CrawGator's orangejello)

P.S. Congrads again Rhonnie... Just read your signature

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 18:39      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first name? They call me Pat.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 19:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is William and I usually go by Bill. It's probably obvious, but I listed a few others so maybe not.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 19:25      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it very much. Its too long, and people always misspell it- also it is quite hard to pronounce.

Just make it shorter! I don't want a full name with 5 components to it! (Baffled? Message me and I will give you my name on request)

I love names with the letter "y" in it, like Anthony. I Have a couple of names in my mind, but I won't say until it becomes relevant [Wink]

I was in a band called Seventeenth Call. Now that I look back, it seemed like a pretty stupid name...

Yes, because it seems as if every girl with that name either hates me, or I hate her. Or she does something that offends me in any way. Or is just plain stupid. Or some intricate mix of the four.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 14 posted May 05, 2006 19:51      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) No, because I would rather it be Katherine. (it's Katie)
2) When I was little I like Julia. Now I like Ribbon, or Scarlet, or something dainty like that.
3) Iris and Bella. I also like Carlos for a boy or very proper names like Albert( I named my female dog that), Walter, ect. Oh, Jemihni and Jessy as neutral possiblilities.
4) I like Dirty Virgins, or Lucid Rage. I guess the whole contradictory thing attracts me. MY friends want to call themselves Rocket Cocks.. they're symbol would be a rooster wearing a space helmet !
5) I don't like Nelda, Bertha, Ethel..... For guys I don't like Wilmer, or Dick(but Richard is alright. They sound too hillbily.

*edit*
I usually post before I read the previous comments, so when I was reading Craw Gator's post about the Jello bros, I was remined :
I want to name a daughter Greenjello. ('Gree-ann-ja-low' said fast)
*re-edit*
funny enough, I was chattign with few people from GC today while I was at school doing a paper on the origin of my name.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 20:27      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:

Boy: William
Girl: Maia (By the way Maia, I don't think it's plain at all)

That's not actually my name. Close, but it's two letters off. And my parents would have named me William if I had been a boy.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 20:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had I been a boy, Mom would've named me Nicholas Daniel. Dad wanted Lionel 'cause he was big into trains. I like Nicholas, but the other two are icky. Well, "Daniel" is icky 'cause it's associated with Dad. So maybe that's my answer to question 5. I always liked the name Lucy, but after reading "Farmer Boy" where Almanzo's pet pig is named Lucy and she eats too much taffy and gets it stuck in her teeth, I don't like the associated images, especially if the girl is pudgy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 20:55      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you like your birthname?

I like it now but growing up there was always 2 other Renee's in my class. For a very long time i responded more to Renee C. rather than just renee. There was Renee F and a Renee M I think too.

What childrens names would you consider?

I pushed real hard for Tessa Claudette for my daughter but her father put his foot down and we agreed on Rachael Marie. The moment I first held my son I had to fight the urge to name him Kermit. So I brushed off some more biblical names and he ended up Benjamin David. (In my defense he really does look/act like Kermit would fit him)

If i had a band what would I name it?

Toejam

Most hated names (apologies in advance to any GC with these)
Ashley and any variation
Destiny

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 21:17      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have been Joshua Christian.
Now it is Katie(Katherine: Ironically, my nick name) Marie [Cool] .

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 21:40      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind my name. It's a bit too common, though (when I was younger, it was not all that common in the US; now, it seems like it's everywhere), and combined with a common last name, it's a bit annoying. Plus, I share it (my first + last name together) with a former politician who was an asshole (no, not partisan assholery - calling him an asshole is a pretty objective statement).

I kinda like Tilman. Erich (with a gutteral ch) would be another pick.

Tilman or Erich, as above, for boys. Jasmin or Jasmine (with the German pronunciation), for girls. And I always thought Sam was a better name for a girl than a guy.

All the good motivations have already been taken. I have nothing left.

Not really, but the ones with multiple pronunciations annoy me a bit - example, (and I don't remember how to spell it), there's a name that can be pronounced "Mih-kay-la" or "Mih-kah-yay-luh". Drives me nuts.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 23:07      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
That's not actually my name. Close, but it's two letters off. And my parents would have named me William if I had been a boy.

[twilight zone music]

Creepy

[/twilight zone music]

Either way, I still like Maia...

I was going to be a Holly if I was a girl (and I wasn't even born around Christmas)

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 01:35      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do calligraphy and one of my favorite things to write are names. I really dive into the nuances of all of the different names and their meanings.

1) Do you like your birth-name?
No

Why?
I don't particularly care for my name because of how much it's been mispelled, mispronunced and as I got older overused. My name is Danielle Antoinette. (My user name is the closest thing there is to Danielle in Gaelic.) I've been called, Dar-nell, Dan-E-elle, Daniella, Dan-ell and there are probably some I'm leaving out.

I've always liked very feminine sounding names like, Rhiannon, Alexandria, Katherine, Juliette, Nicholette. I'd never be able to choose.

Funny thing... I was supposed to be named Anastasia Antoinette but everyone one told my mom that it was too long and old-fashioned. If I was a boy I would have been named Jonathan Arthur for both of my Grandfathers.

Girl names are so much more fun than boy names in my opinion. I know GM doesn't like it but I want my daughter's name to be, Natalie Raine. I also really like, Madeleine, Grace and Charlotte.

For a boy I like Noah, Sebastian, Nathan, Aiden (Already taken in GM's family but I still like it.) and Peregrin. (I'd never really make my kid have this name I just think it's cool.)

I'm not really a band naming type person.

5) Is there a name that you completely hate?
For the most part I associate names with people but there are a few names that I just don't like. (Sorry if your name happens to be on my list...)

Melissa, Ethel, Gladys, Esther, Myrtle, Mildred, Lakisha, Khalima, DeShawn, Shaneequa... Etc.

Why?
Well, some of them remind me of old crabby ladies and I don't like overly ethnic names either. A lot of them just sound made up to me.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 09:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. It is the same as my father's.

When I was younger I considered using my middle name, Francis. It's probably too late to change now.

We are not planning any kids, but as a pagan I have always thought that Holly and Rowan were good names. I do like Welsh names for girls, such as Delyth or Myfanwy, and I'm not particularly fussed about boys' names.

This idea is stolen from a guy I used to work with many years ago...the band would be called "The Early Stuff" so that we could have T-shirts printed with the slogan... "I prefer The Early Stuff".

I think 'hate' is a bit strong...but I don't think place-names for kids is a good idea...so if anyone out there is called Georgia, Brooklyn, Preston etc etc, my apologies.
[Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 11:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Not really. it sounds like a soap opera character's name, and I don't really have the looks of a soap opera character.

I don't know.

I always thought Seven would be a good name for a girl. Not because the Seinfeld episode, but because of Voyager's Seven of Nine. For a boy's name maybe Garak after the character on DS9.

I've had quite a few. Mr. Big, Krakh, 3000 Guitars (because we were loud) and Evil Twin Theory.

Any of those redneck girls names: Amber, Tiffany, Angela, Brianna... Sorry to anyone with those names. Also, those faux African names people make up.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:14      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a good solid simple enough name that never goes out of style... so it does me fine

Never really thought about it - Joseph is quite nice..

Well I have Danielle and Ruth, and for boys I like Joseph and Benjamin or Keiran and Liam. Rachael, Sarah and Rebecca were on the list for girls too.

The Eclectic Numbskulls

Not really but I dislike the silly spellings and dubious "modern" names" Not keen on Wayne or Kevin either... (as names I mean apologies to any who are named thus). One of my cousins is named Lorcan - aparently it is Irish but I always thought it was a bit "iffy" as a name

Oh yes my name is Simon - as many of you probably already know!

Edited for stupid typo noted below...
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
psst, Serenak....

The standard spelling for Rebecca has only one "b".

Sorry, major sticking point with me...

Carry on. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah stupid typo...

Thanks Xanth...

I really should reread my posts more carefully - of course in situations like that you tend to see what you think you typed and not what you actually typed anyhow.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 14:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem. Ordinarily I wouldn't even care, but like I said, names are a sticking point with me. Maybe I should chill out, but there's a person behind the name (not in this sitaution, but most of the time) and it all comes down to respect.

My first name people usually get right. My last seems to be hopeless. It even went into print wrong once. Fortunately, it wasn't a paper that I'd made any great contributions to, but still... Oh yeah, and the HS teacher who whad it wrong and insisted she was right, right up until I pulled out my driver's license and showed her. [Roll Eyes]

Getting people to say my last name right is also a horrible disaster. If they don't think, or know some French, they can do it. But the moment anyone starts actually thinking about how to say it, they fsck it up beyond recognition.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 17:26      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
]

I just hate names that are spelled strangely, and that are just a bunch of syllables glued together to sound 'cool'. Shanequa (sp?) is a name I really just hate, because it doesn't seem 'real'. But I'm just one person; I don't judge people by their names.

Wow.... You should have gone to my school. At the moment I can't think of too many names, but I will tell you who I have classes with on a daily basis.

Shanequa
'Mone-quay'
Tanisha
Tosia (Toe-shee-ah)
twins Shavonda and Lavonda
Lekeya
Shekita
Pat-tra
Scottrice (scot-reece)

GUYS
Darnell
Trelan
Duc (Viet 'Duke')
Tuan
Tung

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 19:37      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've probably all seen this before, but if you haven't Baby's named a bad bad thing is a brilliant web site. Some of her comments had me crying with laughter.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 21:09      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathryn, Katherine, Catherine, Katharine... pick one [Razz]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 21:47      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have seen all the variant spellings for Kaitlin.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 03:04      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a funny name. In fact I only know four people who share the same name with me. It's gaining popularity nowadays, but it's still odd. It's good for publicity tough, I was the only Ugurcan back in school and everyone used to know my name. People prefer to call me Ugur, Ugi or just Can (Pronounced like "jahn").

Not my name but I'd love to change last name. It's too long.

A christian or a muslim name. Something mainstream. I'm not sure on a particular one yet.

Ugi and the geek elevation quartet. What?? We target the elevator audience..

Nope.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 15:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hate it, but I've grown quite fond, recently. It's certainly unusual. Reactions vary from "oh, how weird!" to "wow, that's beautiful!"

ummm... something that has no associations with dead family members...

I really like Alexander (Alex) for a boy, and Amelia (Mia) for a girl. Most Greek sounding names, I love, particularly names of women from mythology/tragedy... but they all have such gruesome connotations...

Well, a friend of mine has a band called 'The Scalectricity'... I kinda wish I had thought of that first [Razz] .

"Domenico" or "Dom"... l o n g, uninteresting story.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture