homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five Its all in the name (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Friday Five Its all in the name
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 09:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stole these from someone on the net, whose name I have now lost. Sorry. If you guys don't like these, suggest some others

1) Do you like your birth-name? Why?
2) If you could change your name to anything else, what would it be?
3) What names would you consider giving your children?
4) If you had a band, what would you name it, and why?
5) Is there a name that you completely hate? Why?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 09:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Do you like your birth-name? Why? I don't mind my first name. Even thought Elizabeth NJ was named after me as a child.

2) If you could change your name to anything else, what would it be? Seraphina

3) What names would you consider giving your children? I used up D-M's naming her D-M. I always thought I'd name a son Henry. It is a family name and it ages well. As a librarian I have seen some utterly ridiculous names like Chewbacca. I mean I loved Star Wars, but how could you do that to a child.

4) If you had a band, what would you name it, and why? It would depend on what type of music we performed.

Connie - She was mean and shoved me at camp and I burned my hand in a fire. All the adults thought she was this little angel, but the kids would tell a different story. I know it isn't fair to other Connies, but it is a hard association to shake.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 09:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, probably becuase I have not ever had anouther name to make a comparison with.

God Almighty

My wife is wants our first boy to be named Fabrizio. I want our first girl to be named Portia.

Jim Jones and the Cool-Aid Kids. I guy in my dorm always wanted to name his band this if he started one. It is a band name people would remember.

I just tend to dislike the people that go with the name, not the name itself.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 09:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it mainly just because it's mine. I sometimes wish it wasn't one of those names that got a little overused in my generation, but I wouldn't change it.

Honestly, I never have really thought about it much.

I consider Elijah one of those cool names that has fallen into disuse.

I'll cross that bridge if, by some bizarre twist of fate, I ever have to. The instruments I know how to play aren't in high demand by the types of bands that do creative naming.

5) Is there a name that you completely hate? Why? Not really. I do sometimes think that it's unfortunate when kids are given names that "sound cool," but don't have any real meaning.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Do you like your birth-name?

'sok. I don't mind it. I don't hate it. It's just a name, and it serves it's purpose.

Why?

Because.

As for mine... I don't mind be called anything, except perhaps late for super. I see no reason to change my name.

Well, I want to name my first born "Slagathor, Conquror of worlds, ruler of the known universe, greatest living king of man and beast ..." But:
1.) If/When I have kids, I don't think DA would be too keen on it.
2.) It doesn't fit on a bith certificate and a lot of databases/programs don't like spaces in first names

Me and DA really disagree about what we'd name them. I want a Patrick or a Sheilds because of my Great Grandfather (if a boy, or as a middle name).

Dionysus Trio/Quartet ... *sigh*

From Wikipedia:
" ... god of wine, represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficent influences. He is viewed as the promoter of civilization, a lawgiver, and lover of peace — as well as the patron deity of both agriculture and the theater. He was also known as the Liberator (Eleutherios), freeing one from one's normal self, by madness, ecstasy, or wine. The divine mission of Dionysus was to mingle the music of the flute and to bring an end to care and worry. There is also an aspect of Dionysus on his relationship to the "cult of the souls", and the scholar Xavier Riu writes that Dionysus presided over communication between the living and the dead."

Except for the wine, the idea is a god of parties, freedom and music. There is the odd death undertone, and a definite allusion to sex ... Music is sexy.

Hate of a name is silly to me. There are a few names that the only people I know who had them rubbed me the wrong way, but I know it's just chance and not the name itself.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:08      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've never done one of these Friday Fives, so here it goes:

For the most part, yes, but I always wished my first name was something a bit more dashing. I DO have a very melodious Italian last name that I like quite a lot--even if it's more than 10 letters long.
Antonio Bandaras...even though I look nothing like him (well, I have blackish hair) all the confusion would be hilarious for a while. Then I'd change it back.
My son's name took my wife and I three months to decide on--but I love it and it suits him.
Tirthas and his band of Merry Men---it worked for Robin Hood.
Nope. I would have to agree that it's the people and not the name. But on the whole, I tend to look down on what I would term "unusual alternate spelling" names--like Jazzmin or Krystale. I don't think there's anything wrong with the people who have been saddled with those names, but it MUST get tiring to have constantly explain that your name has four M's and a silent Q.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:09      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my birth-name because it is a typical geek name. [Geek]

N/A I wouldn't change it. Well there is one thing. I would have preferred a II suffix to Jr. [ohwell]

That's easy since I already have two children. The oldest is Joseph and the youngest is Noah. I wanted to name the second one Andrew, but my wife didn't want it. At least it is his middle name.

Band; just Band treated like a proper noun because that would be the name.

I can't say I really hate any name, but I sometimes wonder why people burden kids with some names. Eugene and Melvin come to mind. Also I think the woman that named her children Lemonjello and Orangejello should be taken out back and slapped repeatedly with a very large trout.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:18      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... The other name for a band would be:
Free Beer. So the sign outside the bar when we played would say:

"Free Beer tonight." We'd get quite the audience. I think we might also get our tails whipped when they realized what was going on.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 11:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree about odd spellings. We have a lady running for the Board of Education. Her first name is spelled Tifney. I know her parents spelled it this way, but everytime I see her signs I think, "If you can't spell your own name, should you be on the board?"

I had a patron tell me that they wanted to make their child unique by using strange spelling, but they were already tired of spelling it for everyone. Poor kid has the rest of his life to spell it. He's only 4.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 11:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm indifferent.

I don't think I would -- I don't care that much, I'm not the one that has to use it. [Smile]

[b3) What names would you consider giving your children?[/b]
We're working on that at the moment, but if we have a boy, he will be named 'Damien', and a girl would be 'Tess'.

Pigfuckers. No seriously. I would thoroughly enjoy all the controversy and complaints we got about it from uptight clowns.

Michelle. I've never met a good person to date that has that name. (Sorry to anyone on this board who's real first name might be Michelle. [Wink] )

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 11:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I must agree about odd spellings. We have a lady running for the Board of Education. Her first name is spelled Tifney. I know her parents spelled it this way, but everytime I see her signs I think, "If you can't spell your own name, should you be on the board?"

I had a patron tell me that they wanted to make their child unique by using strange spelling, but they were already tired of spelling. Poor kid has the rest of his life to spell it. He's only 4.

There's a comedian who goes on about that .. don't recall who at the moment, but he basically says, "you think you're being creative by using a fun spelling of an otherwise normal name for your child -- you have done no such thing except condemned your child to spelling their name to strangers for the rest of their lives."
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 12:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - I'm pretty fine with my name. A bit bland, maybe. I sometimes wish my name had more impact; undortunately, a names doesn't make a personnaliry (unlike Homer Simpson turning into Max Power).

2 - There lies the problem: I have no idea. Stereo, maybe! [Big Grin] Seriously, as others have said, it's the only name I have, so it's hard to tell I would prefer another.

3 - For a girl, I've always liked Alexandra, but I suggested it to my sister-in-law, and she used it. There's also Viviane, plus Minerve or Stella as a "middle" name (I don't know if it's a French thing, but here, the usual first name is the last of the list - and yes, there can be more than two). For a boy... it's hard to say. It would probably be choosen based on gut feeling. I like the sound and heritage of Maximilien, but it sounds old, and the shortened "Maxime" just doesn't have the same strenght.

4 - Probaly "Les Crécerelles" (The Kestrels). This small falcon is my favorite bird. Or something totally different. I'm good at creating names. (You should see the names I give my Sims.)

5 - I will admit that some names have a negative impact on me, but none comes to my mind for now. I'll edit if I can find one.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 13:02      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My birth name is George Washington Korper IV and I have been called Geordie, since I was a baby. Geordie I like and geedub is ok too... George not so much.

Neo. It is what they call me at work. Something about being the one.

My two fantasy children are named Uki Sunflower and Violet Mae.

Geek Angst because it was only the one I liked out of the ones the band name generator created.

George Bush. I don't think I need to explain why.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 13:05      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do. It's very common and plain, but I think it's pretty.

I don't think I'd change it, but I wanted to be "Holly" when I was little.

I liked the name Madeline, but we adopted a dog who was already named Madeline. I liked the name Isabel, and my parents got a dog and named her Isabel. Maybe I'm just being weird, but I don't want to name my children after dogs. So, now I've got nothing. But, there will be no bun in this oven any time soon.

I like the name Fire Creek. I used to go camping on some land with my best friends when we were teenagers. We would camp next to this beautiful creek with crystal clear waters where we'd go swimming. At night, we'd always have a huge fire by the creek and listen to music. Best times of my life.

Brittney, just sounds like an airhead. (sorry to hurt anybody's feeling if that is their name)

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 13:13      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tirthas the Geek:
But on the whole, I tend to look down on what I would term "unusual alternate spelling" names--like Jazzmin or Krystale.[/b]

When I was deploying 12,000 iBooks for a certain school system, we named the computers after the students. Therefore I (well my team mostly) had to type in all those names. Given the nature of the task we started keeping track of alternative spellings. Jasmine won with 7: Jazmeen, Jasmine, Jasmin, Jazzmin, Jazmyn, Jasman, and Jasmon.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 13:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really. The gay connotation and that Australian comedy routine thing was a bit of a drag growing up. Luckily people like Springsteen, Jenner, Willis, Sterling, and Campbell showed up.

Jor-El or something similarily spacey/futuristic.

something futuristic, like Zoron or such. I'm mean come on, it's the 21st century for crying out loud!

I did, and called it We Can't Sing. obvious reasons. [Razz]

Just the name of someone I personally don't like, but only because I connect the name with that particular person.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 13:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
(I don't know if it's a French thing, but here, the usual first name is the last of the list - and yes, there can be more than two).

The precise reason my mother, and her 10 sisters are all named 'marie'. My grandfather, when filling out the birth certificate paperwork, swapped their middle name (he wanted them all to have middle name marie) with their first name. None of them were even aware of it until one of them finally got around to getting a driver's licence, and the government checked their official records.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
that Australian comedy routine thing was a bit of a drag growing up.

An aussie friend of mine named Bruce had no end of trouble with that when he went to work in London. He'd arrive in a room, announce "G'day, I'm Bruce" and spend the next 10 minutes trying to convince people that really was his name.

Yes, I'm quite pleased that my parents chose "The Famous" as first names, rather than some boring ordinary name. Have you ever noticed how many great men have "The" as one of their names?

"None". (Just imagine how much fun it would be filling in official forms)

The one name I like that I haven't already used is Alexander/Alexandra. Middle names would, of course, have to be "The Great".

Tuneless Gits. (if I was in the band, it would be an accurate description)

Oh, where to start?
I hate the wanky "fancy" names, and the silly spellings of ordinary names (Ffyonna? wtf?) and I've never understood why anyone would name a child after something they remember from their geography class ("Indiana" Jones was fictional FFS !).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too young for the Aussie comedy routine re: Bruce. Explain it to us youngsters? Please?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
***sigh*** Monty Python-"Bruces"
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:42      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, although there are six different ways to spell it and several of pet names for it.
2) If you could change your name to anything else, what would it be? I don't know, I kind of like my first name.
3) What names would you consider giving your children? I like odd names but I would never inflict them upon my own children (not that I have any right now). I like the name Basil for a guy, it sounds like a suave detective name. Ok this is a really strange one, but I think that Adenine would be a pretty girl's name. It could be shortened to Addie, and the teasing wouldn't start until high school. But if/when the time rolls around I think I will pick something nice but more conventional just so the kid won't have to go through the whole spelling/teasing horror.
Lisa's Shoe. It sounds like lissajous. A lissajous is really neat. Uh... nevermind [Wink]
Really oddly spelled names like Kaitelynne or Stephanee or Lezlee. I mean, why add all those extra e's? I'm also not too fond of names like Precious or Miracle or Destiny.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 15:58      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes. It is incredibly Irish.

I could switch my middle and first names.

Boys: Murphy and Seamus
Girls: Deirdre and Sinead

Ted. Simple names are best.

I just hate names that are spelled strangely, and that are just a bunch of syllables glued together to sound 'cool'. Shanequa (sp?) is a name I really just hate, because it doesn't seem 'real'. But I'm just one person; I don't judge people by their names.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 16:17      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It's one of those nice standard names that's not super common and never goes out of style. I guess if I wanted to be flashier I could use the nickname commonly associated with it, but I prefer the full version.

Trogdor.

Just kidding.

For a boy, I kind of like the name Micah. It shortens nicely into Mike and it's not super common or super weird. For a girl, either Aspen or Sierra. However, this is all very hypothetical because my first priority is to find something that the poor kid won't ever end up catching hell for later. So maybe I'll just save those names for a pet or story character or something.

Good Question.

I'm a smart-ass, that's why.

I hate it when parents use a kid's name to make some sort of personal or fashion statement. Your child is not an accessory, and they are going to be stuck with their name for the rest of their life. Think about that before you do something like name your son Gandalf or your daughter M'lisse (or Aspen...).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 17:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm ambivalent about it.

In real life, I've been known as William, Willard, Bill, Brother Bill, Michelle (stupid story, don't ask) and a few others. I don't really care what I'm called as long as it's consistent and not too insulting.

I'm hoping I never have any, but if I did, I'd be likely to agree to anything the mother of my child liked so long as it wasn't stupid.

Buck Nekkid and Feeling Chatty

Names don't have enough meaning to me for me to hate or love them. They're little more than arbitrary labels that we've chosen (or been given) to make individual identification easier for others. I know this will sound like a good reason for me to get my head examined (like I haven't given plenty already), but a name like Stephanie or Thomas holds no more meaning for me than Unit 23 or Category B.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 18:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which leaves me with a question: what is everyone here's first name?

Naturally, some would rather keep it to themselves, and that's cool, but for those willing, what is your first name? Mostly, I'm curious to see whether each of you sound like the kind of person who has that name (if that makes any sense).

And I'm always interested to hear.

Everyone already knows my first name I'm moderately sure (and in some cases, last too.)

For those of you who don't, it's Justin.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture