homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » See Han shoot first! (original Star Wars coming out on DVDs)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: See Han shoot first! (original Star Wars coming out on DVDs)
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 04, 2006 18:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy "Star Wars" as it first appeared in 1977, "Empire" in 1980, and "Jedi" in 1983.

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 18:35      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears]

'bout time!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 20:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t!

Thanks, Snaggy - the description you posted made more sense than the one I read on /. this morning. Maybe it was nearly the same thing, and I just wasn't as awake...but the 'two disc' release bit didn't click until now. A 'two disc' set of *each* feature film.

As /.ers said (paraphrased/recalled in my own words) - the fans spoke, and the company decided to bitchslap Lucas, and give the fans what they want...the real movies!

Now, I'm expecting this means the theatrical release will be really clean, and not have the BS renumbering? One can only hope. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 02:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the bitchslap bit. I think the sound of cash tills ringing should be enough to assuage any wounded pride he may feel. How many more times can Lucas sell these films to us?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 06:55      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I don't know about the bitchslap bit. I think the sound of cash tills ringing should be enough to assuage any wounded pride he may feel. How many more times can Lucas sell these films to us?

Oh, lets see, theres still to come:
Complete Set of all Six
50th Anniversary Edition
100th " "
(oh, btw thats for both 45&6, as well as 12&3)

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Han shot first? I don't remember that. Han's too much of a nice guy to do something like that. [evil]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:31      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
Oh, lets see, theres still to come:
Complete Set of all Six
50th Anniversary Edition
100th " "
(oh, btw thats for both 45&6, as well as 12&3)

Don't forget that next year is the 30th anniversary. That's when I suspect the 6 (12, 18) disc special edition boxset will be released.

However, they did say that this re-release would only be available for a short period.
So looks like I'll have to buy it anyway in case he doesn't do something special for a 30th anniversary. After all it wont be the first time someone has NOT done something for a 30th birthday is it Mr. Jobs!

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 10:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
What? Han shot first?

/me force-chokes.
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 17, 2006 21:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it sounded too good to be true!

This is from thedigitalbits.com

"We've confirmed something today (directly with both Fox and Lucasfilm) that we'd begun to suspect... and it's probably going to disappoint a lot of you. It certainly disappoints us here at The Bits. Those new DVD editions of the Star Wars films? The original theatrical versions of the films are going to be non-anamorphic (our original post on this indicated otherwise, but we have confirmed that the widescreen versions will be letterboxed only). What this likely means is that Lucasfilm has simply re-purposed the non-anamorphic transfers that were done for previous laserdisc and VHS releases of the "original" versions of the films. And with that, our enthusiasm for this DVD release has just dropped through the floor. Anamorphic-enhanced versions of the theatrical editions, we'd buy in a heartbeat. But what we're going to get instead is little better than a ported-over laserdisc. In this day and age, releasing a widescreen film without anamorphic enhancement on DVD is just unacceptable. Does Lucasfilm really think fans want those versions of the films on DVD so badly that people just won't care? Yes Virginia, they do. How many versions of these films do you suppose Lucasfilm will try to get fans to buy in high-def over the coming years? And think about it... you just know the studio has to be prepping yet another standard DVD release for next year's 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars. Do you suppose this means that the theatrical editions won't be included in the super-über box set of all six films? Probably. Ugh."

I'll stick with my LaserDiscs I guess.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 09:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I knew it sounded too good to be true!

This is from thedigitalbits.com

"We've confirmed something today (directly with both Fox and Lucasfilm) that we'd begun to suspect... and it's probably going to disappoint a lot of you. It certainly disappoints us here at The Bits. Those new DVD editions of the Star Wars films? The original theatrical versions of the films are going to be non-anamorphic (our original post on this indicated otherwise, but we have confirmed that the widescreen versions will be letterboxed only). What this likely means is that Lucasfilm has simply re-purposed the non-anamorphic transfers that were done for previous laserdisc and VHS releases of the "original" versions of the films. And with that, our enthusiasm for this DVD release has just dropped through the floor. Anamorphic-enhanced versions of the theatrical editions, we'd buy in a heartbeat. But what we're going to get instead is little better than a ported-over laserdisc. In this day and age, releasing a widescreen film without anamorphic enhancement on DVD is just unacceptable. Does Lucasfilm really think fans want those versions of the films on DVD so badly that people just won't care? Yes Virginia, they do. How many versions of these films do you suppose Lucasfilm will try to get fans to buy in high-def over the coming years? And think about it... you just know the studio has to be prepping yet another standard DVD release for next year's 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars. Do you suppose this means that the theatrical editions won't be included in the super-über box set of all six films? Probably. Ugh."

I'll stick with my LaserDiscs I guess.

I was sort of upset when I bot the VHS box set of teh original three movies and two years later they came out with the "ënhanced" box set.

Now I am happy. The problem is I can't watch them too often or I'll wear the tapes out.

I guess I'll have to keep a VHS playing in the vault with those three movies so I know ones around when I want to watch them.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture