homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The iPod and the miner miracle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The iPod and the miner miracle
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 14:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a cave-in at a gold mine here in oz last week, and against all the odds, 2 miners have been found alive. Although there's still 12 metres of rock between the trapped miners and the rescuers, they're able to pass small items to them through a narrow tube.

So far, the items have included food, drink, warm clothes, and an iPod to help the men while away those long hours underground. (CNN version here)

Nice geeky touch, I thought.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 15:54      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really funky, but the iPod will run out of batteries in like 5 hours.
Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 07:00      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can run my mini for almost 12 hours.

Besides, they could just pass it back up to be charged.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 07:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rescue guy: "Alright, we've got the tools we need to get you out."
Miner: "No, I'm good. Just send down a charged battery, and someone get me a cheeseburger."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 16:45      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Rescue guy: "Alright, we've got the tools we need to get you out."
Miner: "No, I'm good. Just send down a charged battery, and someone get me a cheeseburger."

yeah External Batery And A Copy Of The Wall Street Journal.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 16:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah... by that point I'd be wanting toilet paper.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 19:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

The Wall Street Journal is pretty close. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 19:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

The Wall Street Journal is pretty close. [Big Grin]
Touché! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 21:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me grumbles at that statement. I rather like the Journal (WSJ). Yes, I'm aware of its political leanings, but that's not what I read it for...I'm interested in the business/tech news in it. For regular news, I'll take the Times (NYT). [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 03:45      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I rather like the Journal (WSJ). Yes, I'm aware of its political leanings, but that's not what I read it for...I'm interested in the business/tech news in it.

I have to agree. The articles generally have a pretty high signal to noise ratio. I actually find it less politically leaning in any direction than most papers. Of course I don't actually read daily newsprint based news sources any more though...

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 06:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I rather like the Journal (WSJ). Yes, I'm aware of its political leanings, but that's not what I read it for...I'm interested in the business/tech news in it.

I have to agree. The articles generally have a pretty high signal to noise ratio. I actually find it less politically leaning in any direction than most papers. Of course I don't actually read daily newsprint based news sources any more though...
I would agree about the leanings...but some people I talk to scoff at it and go at me with "How can you read that Republican rag?"

So...consider my previous post a bit of a disclaimer. :shrugs:

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 14:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free at last, free at last, thank Bob almighty they are free at last !

After 14 days trapped in a tiny cage in a collapsed mine, the 2 aussie miners are free (and they get to keep their iPods).

/me does the happy-dance.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 14:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good news indeed. [Big Grin]

Nobody should have to go through sh*t like that in this day & age.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 14:41      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hooray to that

Mining has always been a tough and dangerous job, but in today's world at least you can have cheeseburgers and iPods while you sit in the cramped cold wet collapsed mine hoping to be rescued...

Seriously though - great news... especially for them!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 17:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like the fark.com headline for this story some time ago.

"Trapped miners sent cheeseburgers, magazines, iPods, and RIAA subpoenas via small tube while awaiting rescue."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture