homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Four - how clean is your office

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Four - how clean is your office
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 06:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorting through mountains of paper in my office and wondered what yours look like. If you don't have a work office, you can talk about your home desk.

1. Can you see the top of your desk? If so share the secret. If not how many inches of stuff do you have on yours.

2. Do you have more paper or less as technology has increased in your life?

3. If you are messy/cluttered can you find things? If you are a filer, do you remember where you filed stuff?

4. Share a story related to cleaning or lack of order

PS - any ideas for next week

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 07:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Can you see the top of your desk? If so share the secret. If not how many inches of stuff do you have on yours.

I can see small parts of the surface. Currently I would guess the average depth of stuff is about eight inches. Most of it is computers, monitors, manuals, CDs, software boxes, computer hardware and bits of hardware/software/documentation from my job. There's a pile of medical documentation too.

Less paper, but piles of backup CDs and old hard drives and external drives and USB drives. I think I have backups of virtually everything I've done electronically since about 1993.

3. If you are messy/cluttered can you find things? If you are a filer, do you remember where you filed stuff?

I have a piling system. The bits that make up any given pile of stuff will generally have some sort of relationship to one another which I will remember.

Not a story, exactly, but I make a point of buying the exact same brand and type of socks when I buy them. That way I don't ever have to worry about matching them up and I can just keep them in a large mesh bag [Smile]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 08:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I have obsessive-compulsive-disorder. And one of my obsessions is a spotless workspace. My stuff is always lined up neatly, paper is always put away, garbage is thrown out, etc.

Probably more, actually. Nothing works for me for scribbling notes quite like a pad & paper.

If I've put something away in a desk drawer, I can find it instantly. But once its made it to my 'filed away' area, I have to search and search and search.

Don't really have one that I can think of.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 09:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A clear desk at work is easy - we have quite strict security policies in that area, which means that thay have to provide you with enough (lockable) cupboards and draws.
At home I only have a small desk, so keeping it clear has two advantages: the first is I get some room for my elbows, and the second is my iMac looks nicer without the garbage round it.

About the same - the technlogy has replaced some paper, but now I have manuals, books, and magazines all about how the technology will simplify my life!

I'm a filer... but only because I do not have enough room to do things any other way. Normally I know exactly where everything is...unless Mrs Grummash has been "tidying up"!

I don't have a story, but I would like to ask a question of the ladies....
Do you store your CDs and/or records in alphabetical order?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 10:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, in patches. Pile and shove.

I prefer to read things in hard copy so it's about the same really.

As long as no one touches my piles I can always find what I need. I file things when I no longer need them on a daily basis, and most of the time I can remember where it all went. Unless I play an evil joke on myself and rearrange my files.

A while back I gave my desk a good solid cleaning. I do this from time to time, but this was before my boss decided to keeop his old laptop on my desk, so the thing was completely clear. I still had my stuff up o the shelves, in the drawers, and on the wall, but the top was picture perfect.

My labmates thought I'd quit grad school.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 11:39      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at work my desk is very clean, but that's only because I get moved from desk to desk each project so there isn't time for any serious accumulation. [Big Grin] At home, however...I think there might be actual strata built up on the computer desk.

More. Definitely. What with owener's manuals, boxes you can't throw away, and a printer or three hanging around, there's no question.

I can generally find things, unless I haven't needed it for three months or more. In that case, it's lost to the aether, until it turns up sometime later when I'm urgently looking for something else.

There was one time I was hanging out at a friend's house, and my boyfriend at the time left to do some sort of small errand. When he didn't get back after 2 hours, I was so worried I started cleaning the house. By the time he got back, it looked better than it had in years. [Big Grin] Kind of a pity it wasn't mine.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 12:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I started cleaning, you could see only patches of the top. Most of my stacks were between 4-6 inches tall.

If something is important, I must print it out to read it. I don't really see typos on a screen.

I ususally can find something in my stacks. I'm cleaning on my boss's suggestion.

4. Share a story related to cleaning or lack of order.
Last time I had a big clean up, I found a tape of a conversation with HR. Three HR heads ago, she used to tape our conversations. So I turned the tables and always brought my own recorder too. She didn't like it, but couldn't say anything. Not sad when she left at all. The Paranoid psycho!

CDs question - Mine are in a huge pile right now to be out of my daughter's reach, but when I had them in my CD holder I arranged them by genre. My LPs are still by genre. Yes I still have a turntable.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 21:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I keep my desk at work much cleaner/neater than I do my room at home. It's so much easier to get a filing system going at work. Jonathan and I have determined to make proper use of our respective filing cabinets when we get our apartment.

The picture of my desk is somewhat old. An artist sits there part-time during the day, so we've gotten rid of the stacked bins and moved my radio over so she can fit what looks like a letter-sized easel in front of the lamp. At the end of my night, I put away my tally sheets, line up my containers of pens and sticky notes, and clean the crumbs off my desk. It's so nice to have a neat desk!

Joy, oh joy I get to move to a new house on 20 May. Which means I'll need to pack up all my stuff. I'm not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be able to start fresh!*

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 11:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top of my desk? What's that? [Wink]

But seriously...I had tidied up my desk a few weeks ago, so more surface area is visible. However, the mass of papers is shifting, and there is very little area free on the periphery of it. I make a concerted effort to keep the area in front of my keyboard free, so my hands are not sat atop a pile of papers. Usually I just keep one sheet of scrap paper there to write quick notes on.

My home desk is very clear, as it is quite small, and holds my Mini - I need room for my keyboard and mouse, and there is really no room to clutter up. All other surface areas nearby are thoroughly cluttered. [Razz]

More! I like paper for reviewing things, as it's easy read large documents, to proof things, and to cross items off lists. Whenever people send me large lists of convoluted junk (this one person refuses to use spreadsheets, and only sends me Word docs), I print them (usually 2-up), and reconcile them by hand, checking off all the items. Manuals in PDF format - straight off to the nearest lpr!

Yes, I know where things are in my piles of paper. Organize them and I'm lost.

Recently I've been making an effort to clear up some clutter @home, and I decided to empty out this book/magazine holder that really needed a proper dusting/cleaning. What did I find buried in there? B&W negatives from '99!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 11:50      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At work, we don't have assigned spaces because we have more techs then stations (just not everyone in at one time). The result is that my space at work stays clean. Moreover, there isn't a lot of stuff at work that can pile up -- very little paper paperwork.

Seems to be decreasing. ... Books on the other hand increase, does that count as paper, because I think of paper as loose sheets or bound reports.

In general I'm a slob. For the most part, I remember where I put things. That said, I lost my phone in bedroom -- I tossed it across the room, and even now that the room is clean the phone is MIA. Really need to figgure out what happened to it.

No, I shall not.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 13:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
...I decided to empty out this book/magazine holder that really needed a proper dusting/cleaning. What did I find buried in there? B&W negatives from '99!

So - what were these negatives, that you felt the need to hide them in the magazine rack? [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 13:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
...I decided to empty out this book/magazine holder that really needed a proper dusting/cleaning. What did I find buried in there? B&W negatives from '99!

So - what were these negatives, that you felt the need to hide them in the magazine rack? [Razz] [Big Grin]
Haha...nothing of the sort... I was just looking for some place to put them...and that's where they ended up. I sort of miss working in the dark room, though. I should scan these things in at some point - some of the shots are pretty nice.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 18:44      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, yes, but usually it's horrific. I'm terrible at putting things away, and will always set them down on the nearest surface. As a result, there are always beauty products, empty food cartons, random bits of paper, photos, jewellery... all kinds of things that don't belong on a desk... on my desk [Razz] .

More. I'm paranoid. I have paper copies as well as CD's and memory-sticked versions of everything I write. Or, should do, anyway.

I'm both, and yes, I can usually find things, but with minimal efficiency, and far more faffing about than is necessary. My filing system consists of three cute indigo magazine racks from Habitat, with old payslips and bank statements shoved into them haphazardly, with recipes and birthday cards sticking out at angles.

Okay, this is an embarassing and kinda gross one from the other week. Strictly a one off, though, I assure you! We had friends coming over for dinner, and my room was a total mess, with my clothes on the floor from where I had taken them off the night before. I was in a mad rush, so I just kicked the dirty clothes under the bed in the hope that no one would notice. My friends and I all got pretty hammered that night, and my mate Dave and I were play-fighting, as you do when you've had one too many. He trapped my between my bed and the wall, so I literally could not move, and started tickling me. He reached down to tickle my feet, and came up with a handful of... my dirty underwear. Yep, lovely. [Razz]

Oh, and
quoting Grummash:
Yes, I do - by band name/artist surname, then by album title. The one thing I'm quite anal about [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 13:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skylar:
Oh, and quoting Grummash:
Yes, I do - by band name/artist surname, then by album title. The one thing I'm quite anal about.

Thanks Skylar, and Aditu too - this information is quite reassuring. You see, the reason why I directed the question only at the ladies of GC is because Mrs Grummash says that storing CDs & LPs alphabetically is a weird 'boy thing'... and I was sure that sensible people of both genders would do things that way. [Big Grin]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 13:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, I look at this and think "Sort what?"

Isn't that what iTunes is for? [Wink]

--------------------

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 15:12      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Between 0-18 because I am moving out of my dorm room and going back home.

About the same.

Varies based on mood.

We get graded on how clean our rooms are in the Dorm... One day the assistant dean left "Why Bother?" as my grade.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 17:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, my desk is neat. Secret? Filing is billable, too. Other secret? I'm so flakey if I didn't file I'd be lost. Other secret? If my desk is messy, then I'm grumpy. Really grumpy.

About the same.

Oh yes, I'm a compulsive cataloger. Again, if I didn't do it, I'd be lost.

I won a very large lawsuit this year. My attorney told me my initial synopsis of the case was better than a lot of briefs he'd seen. It all started with the filing, cataloging and indexing of what happened.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 18:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
He reached down to tickle my feet, and came up with a handful of... my dirty underwear. Yep, lovely. [Razz]

Well, it was your room and therefore his risk. Was he also embarassed?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 18:34      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let' just put it like this: if I were to whack someone on the head with that stack of reports that I haven't been putting away for the past month or so, the skull fragments will be found at least ten feet away from the place where the poor fellow was originally standing. Well, not that anybody would be able to lift the said stack - doing so will result in slow and painful death from suffocation while being buried under a mountain of paper.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 18:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
comrade: Me thinks you need anger management courses. [Wink]

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 19:34      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Can you see the top of your desk? If so share the
secret. If not how many inches of stuff do you have on yours.

As you can see I'm the only one left with these 15 year
old anthro carts so there's not really anywhere for things to pile up.
There's a filing cabinet to my right and a credenza next to it
that are for piling things on.

More. All the orders still come through on paper and now the in-plant
tracking requires a batch sheet with a upc code that travels with
each order and each work station scans. So with more tech comes
more paper.

I have been known to file things so well they can never be recovered.
When I file somthing it stays filed!

The company owner may have a touch of OCD about order. His
brother the co-owner is not so neat. A couple of months back
the brother goes away for a couple weeks and I don't think he was
to the airport before the owner was in there with our PC/network
tech. "What's this? Is this needed? What are these?" Old RAM,
SCSI cards, 10 mbs ethernet cards, on and on. I got in early to
grab the things a knew were needed.

It was a couple of weeks after the brother was back before everything
that was actually needed was recovered.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 20:49      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
comrade: Me thinks you need anger management courses. [Wink]

True, but when your boss wants you to do his work yet the idea of promoting you never crosses his mind, what you really need is a nice clue stick, AKA Lousville Slugger. Or, better yet, a clue pellet dispenser, commonly referred to as <insert your favorite assault rifle make and model.>
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 06:14      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
He reached down to tickle my feet, and came up with a handful of... my dirty underwear. Yep, lovely. [Razz]

Nah, he loved it. I think he threw them across the living room at my other friends. He has teased me about it relentlessly ever since. I'm currently thinking of how best to serve up my revenge [evil]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 05:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Nah, he loved it. I think he threw them across the living room at my other friends. He has teased me about it relentlessly ever since. I'm currently thinking of how best to serve up my revenge [evil]
I hope you've counted your underwear to make sure he didn't steal a pair while the hilarity ensued [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture