homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » JJ Abrams to direct Star Trek movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JJ Abrams to direct Star Trek movie
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 22, 2006 13:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost and Alias creator to do Star Trek XI
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 22, 2006 14:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so it doesn't star any Scientologist actors! [Razz] And Berman and Braga aren't having anything to do with it.

BTW-There was a mistake in the article-Voyager was not taken through a wormhole to the Delta Quadrant, but taken there by the Caretaker enitity.

And Snag: It's Star trek XI! [Wink]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 22, 2006 14:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, Star Trek X was so bad I refuse to accept it existed. [Razz]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 22, 2006 14:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOA!!! Triple post!

*All hail High Lord and Dictator Snaggy!*

EDIT: Wait. Where'd it go? I'm sure I saw three identical posts. Are you playing tricks on me, Snaggy?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 16:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
WHOA!!! Triple post!

*All hail High Lord and Dictator Snaggy!*

EDIT: Wait. Where'd it go? I'm sure I saw three identical posts. Are you playing tricks on me, Snaggy?

He's too humble to accept that much praise. He trimmed the thread - take note of the post #s.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 22, 2006 21:54      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The film will feature the first meeting between the two characters, when they are cadets at Starfleet Academy,

THIS HAS HARVE BENNETT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT... I will not accept this shite... Do something NEW and ORIGINAL! FFS! Academy Years was Harve Bennetts big sell for ST:VI. It did not fly because it was a bad Idea... They are only doing this because De and Jimmy are gone and they figure no one will care.

FSCKIN money hungry studio. FSCK VIACOM!

I will pull a very large string to have it killed.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 22, 2006 23:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't shatner say he had a story about Kirk and Spock in the academy?

googled...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08112005/364/shatner-plans-star-trek-prequel.html

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 05:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anybody really going to believe the characters of spock and Kirk, when they are not played by Shatner, and Nimoy? I am assuming if the are doing the academy days S and N are a bit to old to play 20 somethings credibly.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 08:38      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Star Trek meets Dumb and Dumberer.

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 11:21      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk & Spock got to White Castle
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gromit801
Newbie Larva
Member # 5063

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 17:10      Profile for Gromit801     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's going to bomb like every other prequal attempt. What I wish they'd have done, is a Voyager movie. The series ended a little too abruptly for me.

--------------------
"I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams

Posts: 8 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 17:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060423

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 03:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am enough of a fan (not a trekkie) to wish for this new movie. I guess I would has a sub par S.T. VI than none at all, which seems to be the options. So what if paramount is out to make one last buck off of a dying franchise. It is pie in the sky dreams to think there will be anouther Wrath of Khan.

I think people are so against this new movie because they want one of such quality that it revives the franchise. It's not going to happen so I guess I'll settle for one or two last sub par movies.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 09:22      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News form the fans

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-spinoff-trek21apr21,0,3577190.htmlstory?coll=la-home-entertainment

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 10:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paramount is bound and determined to run the Star Trek franchise into the ground, it seems. I don't know this Abrams guy, but this "Starfleet Academy" concept has been bouncing around for what seems like forever, and never has been well-received among the fans.

It was only last year that Enterprise finally bit the dust. I think another decade in the deep freeze would do Trek some good...and, when it's brought back, bring it back with people who care about science fiction. Have it produced by somebody like J. Michael Straczynski or Joss Whedon, someone who knows how to handle SF television. Have episodes written by real honest-to-God science fiction writers the way they were back in the days of TOS, not two-bit television hack writers who never met a subatomic particle they didn't like. Remember, "If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage."

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 11:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I wish they'd take a left turn and do a series based on a Klingon ship. Ignore the Federation and poke around on the other side of the Klingon empire. Show the Klingons exploring the universe, meeting new races and killing them in the most violent ways possible.

It'd be fun!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 24, 2006 14:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: Best Star Trek idea ever.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 17:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how much social engineering it would take to convince the studios to do a Klingon series.

/me tries not to look like a beady eyed politician as he ponders that one.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 19:37      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Honestly, I wish they'd take a left turn and do a series based on a Klingon ship. Ignore the Federation and poke around on the other side of the Klingon empire. Show the Klingons exploring the universe, meeting new races and killing them in the most violent ways possible.

It'd be fun!

This is SO what I think too. There is so much unexplored territory in the STU. Why not focus on stuff other than Star Fleet, humans, & earth for a while? Although, I've always fancied a Romulan Cloak & Dagger Noir Thriller. Or an adventurous group of colonists trying to make a home on a far-flung planet. You know, the ones that Star Fleet is always rescuing from a horrible plague or marauding aliens.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 21:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone interested in a series about a Klingon ship might want to check out this new series of books about the Klingon Defense Force Chancellor Class vessel IKS Gorkon. The one I read was pretty good.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture