homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Iran (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Iran
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 13:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be a better idea to have them arm bears.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 13:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:

No no no no no !
Those viscious [email protected]@rds are dangerous enough as it is !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 14:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:

That reminds me of an entertaining book I once read

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 17:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
No no no no no ! Those viscious [email protected]@rds are dangerous enough as it is !

Good Lord! Who chose the background color on that website? My eyes! [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 17:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
No no no no no ! Those viscious [email protected]@rds are dangerous enough as it is !

In Firefox:
View -> Page Style -> No Style

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2006 18:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
In Firefox:

That's better. Bless you, dman!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 02:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You have to remember it's a Southern Hemisphere web site, so you have to reverse the order of the bits on all the RGB values.
There's a firefox setting for "view Southern Hemisphere colour values" somewhere, perhaps dman knows...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 06:59      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard something about colors swirling the opposite way in the southern hemisphere but this is the first time I have actually seen it.

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 11:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Look, in intelligence work, you deal with two major things:

1. Where are those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?

2. When the American people find out the WMD thing is a big lie, how will I avoid the noose?

After examing the "intelligence" that has lead this nation to failure, defeat and international disaster, I think reading anything from the right on this subject is like taking aeronautic lessons from Icarious.

Eb, either start taking your Thorazine again, or go back to scaring little girls out of their Halloweeen candy. Nobody, except for drooling kooks and morons and raving street lunatics, believes those made-up righty paranoid lies anymore.

CP
--A veteran of 'Nam !, commenting on the idiots and cowards who have brought you 'Nam II.

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 22:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by schnurren:
I also find it hypocritical of the US Government to disallow other nations from having nuclear weapons when we ourselves have them, and have used them.

The U.S. Government assigns weapons to its soldiers, but it's illegal for a private citizen to own many of them. Is it therefore hypocritical? I know it's a poor analogy, but my point is that sometimes distinctions are made about whether an entity is responsible enough to handle certain kinds of weapons.

Is there anyone out there who wouldn't be concerned at the thought of Iran with nuclear weapons? Never mind whether or not you consider the U.S. responsible enough to have them, would you trust Iran with something like that?

quote:
Originally posted by schnurren:
The American Government's attitude seems to be that of a chosen nation, meant to defend itself and keep itself powerful at all costs. I think that this is a ridiculous and dangerous mentality.

Of course the U.S. Government is trying to defend itself and keep itself powerful, but "at all costs" strikes me as a bit of an exaggeration. There are a number of things the U.S. could conceivably do that have not been attempted.

You have a good point here. However some of what the lime-light hasn't shown in recent news is that the Bush administration picked up where the Clinton Administration left off with the de-nuclear-ization that the UN (IIRC) put into action durring the end of Clinton's term and has reduced American Nuclear Arsenal by more than 50%.

It may be setting a double standard to say that you can't have them but we can but what is really going on is the UN is saying, we dont want anyone to have them so those of us who do are going to decrease our numbers gradually and we will try and prevent others from developing this potentially destructive technology in the mean.

Edit: I can't believe that I made usch a mistake. I meant Kitty Hawk, one of the fields that the brothers used in early developement of Heavier-than-air flight, (and Huffman Praire) and not Saddie Hawkins.

And in response to CP above:
Look into some of the Major contracting groups that have been hired for the disposal of the non-existant WMD's and think what would happen if the American people knew that we found them, that we captured Usama and that Saddam is dead. What reason would we have to be in the middle east? None, except the further occupation of a stronghold over the middle east. Here's an interesting fact for perspective, we have an 80 year lease on every major military installation in Iraq, Iraq, Kuwait, and other ME Countries. Relate that to the the bases that we occupied in Japan that we are still occupying for a stronghold over the asian pacific, or the bases in Haiti, or the base in Dijubuti (all formally hostile environments that are now used as Quick Reaction Staging Points)

You have to look at the big picture. Open your eyes and think to the future.

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 11:35      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."
      - anonymous

... and some of you have sooooo much experience. However, I'll try to point out your fallacies to other people.

quote:
April 23, 2006 11:44
1. Where are those weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?
2. When the American people find out the WMD thing is a big lie, how will I avoid the noose?

This kind of argument is based on two assumptions:
    1. "We" can/could Trust Saddam.
    2. "We" can/could Trust the UN inspections to be accurate and complete.

Basically, "some of you" trust everyone except "the conservatives." Which means you have "no reason to believe" that Saddam was a threat, or that Iran would start a nuclear war.

The evidence for "not trusting" Saddam or Iran is so plentiful that you'd have to be "mentally deficient" to insist on "trusting" them. The same goes for believing that the UN is a competent organization.

quote:
I also find it hypocritical of the US Government to disallow other nations from having nuclear weapons when we ourselves have them, and have used them.
It may be setting a double standard....

Basically there's one standard: Do we trust "you" not to start a nuclear war?

Technically, it might not be trust at all. The standard could be: If "you" start a nuclear war, will "your" economic, political, and social losses be "unacceptable"? Either way, you should notice that the US, Russia, China, etc. have had nuclear weapons (and other WMD), and the opportunity to use them, and for over half a century have refused to use them against other nations.

On the matter of "if you used them, why shouldn't everyone else get to use them":

If an employee of a mining company uses high-explosives, why shouldn't a suicide-bomber be allowed to use high explosives?

(At this point I realize someone is thinking: Just because someone wants to kill people and blow up buildings, that doesn't mean you can take away the right to make hundreds of pounds of explosives for personal use. [shake head] Most likely the same person who insists on his right to "obtain" large quantities of music and software without purchasing the copyrighted materials.)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 14:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, ASM...

I'm curious about something. Why do you put quotes from multiple posters in a single reply without any indication of the original poster's identity? Do you regard everyone else on the forums as one entity to whom you are responding?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 08:06      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:

In Firefox:

Finally, the internet and my fashion sense have merged!

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 08:25      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Hey, ASM...

I'm curious about something. Why do you put quotes from multiple posters in a single reply without any indication of the original poster's identity? Do you regard everyone else on the forums as one entity to whom you are responding?

Steen,

I understand that ASM is considered by some to be one of the more controversial particpants here but it seems to me like your question is little more than an attack and misdirection.

I would be interested to see what your opinions are on the points that he brought up. Wouldn't it be better to address what he said rather than attack the way the message was delivered?

Best,

Dan

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 08:48      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danimal

Steen's remark was completely correct and justified. ASM is a 24 carat idiot, who positively enjoys being insulted. I think it gives his miserable existance some meaning. Steen on the other hand is one of the more intelligent thoughtful and humorous posters here.

Lastly it may be just my own Anglo Saxon uptightness, but I get slightly irritated by the way you close every single post with

"best

Dan"

IMHO it is fairly meaningless, and when the post is being critical of another member sounds ever so slightly hypocritical as well.

with all my very best love

Calli

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Danimal

Steen's remark was completely correct and justified. ASM is a 24 carat idiot, who positively enjoys being insulted. I think it gives his miserable existance some meaning. Steen on the other hand is one of the more intelligent thoughtful and humorous posters here.

Lastly it may be just my own Anglo Saxon uptightness, but I get slightly irritated by the way you close every single post with

"best

Dan"

IMHO it is fairly meaningless, and when the post is being critical of another member sounds ever so slightly hypocritical as well.

Calli

You, sir, are my hero for the day.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:58      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli,

Admittedly, I do not know all of the history between members here. For right now, I'm keeping my eyes open and only drawing conclusions based on what I see as opposed to the opinions of others.

Even if a member is viewed negatively by the community it does not change - at least to me - the relevancy/irrelevancy, of a particular post by that member.

As far as my sign off is concerned, I have found that changing it from one post/email to another leaves room for people to look at it for some sort of hidden meaning. In the past this has happened to me when I did not want it to. In other words, I was insulting to people when it was not my intent. Now, I use the same sign off in all of my emails/post all of time, regardless of how I feel when I make the post.

My sign off means nothing other than I thought of including a polite sign off.

I hope that this clarifies it for you. Thanks for asking. Please don't think I am being sarcastic when I say...

Best,

Dan

PS: I still have not seen a counter argument to ASM's post. What I have seen is redirection. I do not understand why. It seems like he put forth some interesting points. I found myself not being able to adequately debate his points and am hoping that others can. Please do not fault me for wanting to see what others have to say in this regard.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 10:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM's logic tends to elude the humans on the board. He likes to draw lots of false-dichotomies, which makes argumets less than worthwhile. In the past, people argued until they wre blue in the face, but it has proven to be a pointless endeavour so it's rarely done anymore.

There's been some speculation as to who/what ASM really is, and I must say I'm inclined to agree.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 10:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned to behave myself. I see ASM followed by a series of numbers, and my mind goes, 'spam', and I skip it -- as well as any responses which directly quote it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 10:18      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.

I'll leave it.

Please don't get me wrong. I dislike trolls as much as the next guy. However, sometimes even trolls make points that are (to me) thought provoking.

Anyway, thanks for 'splainin it to me. [Smile]

Best,

Dan

--------------------

Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 10:22      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: His profile has a link to his site which has his photo and his email which is the same as his user name here.

http://members.aol.com/asm65816/

Not siding with him here. Just providing data.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 27, 2006 10:30      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
ASM is a 24 carat idiot

Callipygous, I demand that you defend the United Nations as worthy of:

1. Trust because of its Competence.

2. Trust because of its Lack of Corruption.

3. Trust because of its Dedication to Preserving "Human Rights" and Improving the "Human Condition."

Being a soup kitchen isn't "defense" for the above items, and neither is always having the US supply the vast majority of force to deter tyrants, petty "war lords", and other threats.

The United Nations is like a half a dozen drunken captains in the wheelhouse of a ship going full speed through a sea of icebergs.

quote:
In the Bosnian silver-mining town of Srebrenica in July 1995, one of the most notorious modern acts of genocide took place. While the international community and U.N. peacekeepers looked on, Serb forces separated civilian men from women and killed thousands of men en masse, or hunted them down in the forests.
Callipygous, since you claim to be much smarter than I am: Explain why anyone whose life is endangered by murderers should place any faith in the United Nations. (Hint: it's not because "Bush lied.")

Finally, I get involved in these threads when people use arguments like "It's horrible how the mean ol' US attacked that poor, peaceful, sweet Saddam" (and everyone knew Saddam was not a bad fellow because the UN said so ).

If anyone else is feeling "really smart," I've got some more questions about the United Nations that I would like to have answered. (Otherwise, quit posting "Bush lied" so I don't post "the UN is a support group for genocide anonymous.")

quote:
PS: His profile has a link to his site
[Wink] Still the same after six or seven years. (Read about the "incredibly dangerous" Fighting Canaries Virus.) PS: The Apple IIgs used the WDC 65816 processor, and "ASM" is a programming reference.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 11:43      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Callipygous, I demand that you defend the United Nations as worthy of:

1. Trust because of its Competence.

2. Trust because of its Lack of Corruption.

3. Trust because of its Dedication to Preserving "Human Rights" and Improving the "Human Condition."

Being a soup kitchen isn't "defense" for the above items, and neither is always having the US supply the vast majority of force to deter tyrants, petty "war lords", and other threats.

The United Nations is like a half a dozen drunken captains in the wheelhouse of a ship going full speed through a sea of icebergs.

ASM,
I DEMAND that you prove to me that the United State's current foreign policy isn't just as bad.

Delightfully pissed-off at Bush,

Craig

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 13:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danimal wrote:
I understand that ASM is considered by some to be one of the more controversial particpants here but it seems to me like your question is little more than an attack and misdirection.

I would be interested to see what your opinions are on the points that he brought up. Wouldn't it be better to address what he said rather than attack the way the message was delivered?

Danimal:
Please attempt to pull your head out of your ass, and understand that when I make a verbal attack, it is very obvious that it is an attack. Mildly humorous sarcasm in a question is nothing more than me joking around.

I didn't address what ASM said because what I was interested in was why he replies the way he does, not in the particulars of his responses here. What I asked of ASM was a legitimate question and he chose to respond via PM. I understand his reasoning now and I thanked him for his response.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 13:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:

Calli

And I thought you were saving that for me! [cry baby]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture