homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I may get a research grant...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I may get a research grant...
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 07, 2006 12:17      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least, that's what my thesis director has offered. I had a feeling he wanted things to happen quite fast (present my research proposal after only one session, when I work full time? are you kidding?), so at our last meeting, I mentioned casually that things can't go as fast as if I was studying full time. By the time I got home, I had an email. He was offering me a grant/research salary to speed up things.

CDN$5k is nothing to spit on. Plus, my boss (at work) supports me in my studies, which will make things easier. All this would allow me to take some time off from work (w/o pay) to work on my project.

I shouldn't be hesitating, still, I can't help it: "when something seems too good to be true, it usually is" keeps coming to mind. Guess it's just the surprise, and I need to accept the idea that my work wouldn't be my only revenue source anymore... That I'm moving closer to doing "real" research rather than just working on another diploma...

Comments, anyone?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 13:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can survive on it, and even be able to find work readily if your 'leave' falls through, go for it! [thumbsup]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 14:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<insert here any one of a thoasand quotes about fortune favoring the bold>

Go for it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 14:11      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your research is more important in the end than your job is (maybe not to you, but definitely to society as a whole). If you have the choice and the funding, the time is probably better spent researching.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 14:20      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! This may be the chance of a lifetime..

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 14:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool + gang! Word. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 14:48      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Stereo, congratulations, that's absolutely fantastic [Big Grin] . I'm currently hunting for some form of postgrad funding myself, so I can appreciate what a great thing it is that you're getting a research grant. And from what I know of you, I'm sure your thesis will knock our socks off when it's all done [Smile] .
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 15:39      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Stereo! It's great that you have so many people who support you in your research. [Smile]

If I were you, I'd go for it. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 16:17      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like quite an opportunity to me. Congratulations.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 16:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The catch is, you're going to have to do the project.

I'd take it.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 19:19      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great! I'm with everyone else. If there is any way you can
swing it, do it! It's better to have researched and lost...

well something profound like that [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 07, 2006 21:51      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The catch is, you're going to have to do the project.

Yeah, maybe that's what scares me most: I'll have no excuses.

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'd take it.

Somehow, I am not surprised... [Big Grin]

Thanks everyone for your comments. I must say that I am not afraid to loose my job - that's the nice part of working for the government. I already know I'll take the opportunity. I like this part of Carmina Burana: "Verum es quod legitur/Fronta capillata/Sed plerumque sequitur/Occasio calvata" - What is written is true: opportunity looks like a head full of hairs, but when you want to seize it, it turns out to be bald. Conclusion: if you want something to happen, you have to grab all the way to the scalp. So, yes, I will take it. I'm just overly cautious.

Ah, but dragonman, I can't really "live" on it; that would be the equivalent to a 4-5 weeks of regular pay, and with the condo and my car, it won't hold 'till I finish. But it can speed things up.

Skylar: you're too kind. My project is about the fusion of imaging data from heterogeneous sources. A big part of it will be to "mix-and-match" LIDAR data (3D color-encoded representation of a geographic area) and satellite data (2D, multi spectral). The goal will be to have a system to do it automatically, rather than manually as it is done now. So although there is a few nice challenges, it will hardly make any noise outside the geographic-imaging crowd. On the other hand, I may have to develop my first neural-network, and that's way cool!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 02:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is something you want to do, then take it. If it something that you aren't sure about wanting, then stay rich and don't take it!

\poor, unemployed student
\is probably going to apply for funding soon

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture