homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Windows XP on Mac - by Apple

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows XP on Mac - by Apple
Orbulon
Newbie Larva
Member # 3972

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 08:12      Profile for Orbulon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

New beta tool from Apple, also the first revealed 10.5 Leopard feature.

Posts: 8 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 05, 2006 09:41      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me Kernel Panics!

OTOH that puts VPC out of business... MS looses App to Apple! [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 10:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
macmcseboy________________________Hey was that iMac drive for a slot or tray load. I have the tray load model. Hee Hee Thread Jack, I think HalfVast had the thread first.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 14:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tray loaders MoMan, i have Logic boards and drives.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 17:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
macmcseboy___________________How do we go about doing this with out violating Nitro & Snaggy's rules?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 23:57      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
send me a PM

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 03:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reasonably sure most of you have seen this but for those depressed by the above news, go back to the future and experience System 7.0 on your browser!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 09:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I suspect most people, what I would really like is to be able to run XP in a window like Classic without the speed penalty of VPC, so I found this blog post about Parallels Workstation 2.1 pretty interesting. Has anyone here got an intel mac and tried it out?

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 15:30      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMGOMGOMG! I go offline for two days, and I miss this?

Well, it's going to make my MacBook Pro (when I finally get it) a lot more fun.

It's so cool the way Apple have done it, too. It looks like a really nice installation process, and they even support the brightness / eject buttons. Full accelerated graphics, and a nice little Windows startup disk control panel. It's like they've taken Windows and made it a feature of the Mac. (I love some of the little comments about Windows on the Boot Camp page, too [Wink] )

I hope this really annoys the winxponmac.com guys, for whom I have very little respect (the site owners, not the people who did the programming for the original XOM hack). I notice they're still taking donations...

Anyway... so how does this affect Apple's future? Are we starting to see an emerging master plan here? OSX on 50% of home computers in how long... 2 years? Maybe 3? Or maybe less. Any ideas?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 20:08      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Like I suspect most people, what I would really like is to be able to run XP in a window like Classic without the speed penalty of VPC, so I found this blog post about Parallels Workstation 2.1 pretty interesting. Has anyone here got an intel mac and tried it out?

It was good enough on one of our QA iMacs to be able to play the large format QuickTime movies in XP and in the Mac OS at the same time. I was very very pleasantly surprised. My boss thought it was good enough that he is going out to buy a MacBook to replace his main Sony laptop and auxiliary G4 PowerBook.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Einstain
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5031

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 21:40      Profile for Einstain         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I'm not a Mac user, I'm actually a Linux user, this seems very interesting. Humbly, I tip my hat to Macintosh for taking this step [Applause] . Everyone seemed to, for a long time, laugh at the thought of running Windows on a Mac, saying it could not be done.

Never thought I would live to see the day that they make it work [Big Grin] . After reading this, it is almost tempting to buy a Mac, just to run Windows on it [Razz] . Though, it does make me curious why they decided to try it. I guess it's their way of settling things back down from the move to Intel. Very sneaky [Big Grin] . Excellent business venture, but sneaky. Somebody should have thought of it years ago [Big Grin] .

Are there any Mac users in here who are absolutely appalled by this? Really, if you think about it, while great for business, it takes away from the uniqueness of only Macintosh (and Yellow Dog Linux [Big Grin] ) can run on an Apple. Eventually, it was bound to happen, but they are rebels running on their own machine, between this and the move to Intel [Big Grin] .

Room to grow still [Big Grin] . Eventually, Microsoft, I am sure, will come up with something of their own. Still, there's a thought. Think about, "What if there was a way to just run Windows straing from a Mac." Look at it from my point of view. Eventually, somebody will come up with a way that you will not need the Mac OS installed on the machine, and have the new software, and just simply run windows. Simplicity is the key, and I'm sure it could be simpler than this. Simplicity.

--------------------
Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far grater.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 08:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a lot of [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 08, 2006 09:08      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks I am going to cry. [Frown]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 21:20      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a Good Thing(tm) for Apple, although I want to see MORE integration, like Windows in a window on the Mac, ala Virtual PC, but without the emulation overhead (which is VERY technically possible now with the Intel Macs).

The people who are saying that people are going to buy Macs and just run Windows on them are crazy. No one is going to spend an extra $200+ on hardware (and, yes, I admit it, Macs /are/ more expensive) to run the same OS that they've been running and can continue to run on their $299 Dell PC's. Hardcore Windows-users are going to keep using Dells and eMachines and the like.

The users that this move /will/ get are the people that are so fucking fed up with Windows' virus-yness and buggyness that they just want to throw their comptuers out the window. Grandmas and Grandpas who just want to keep in touch with their kids and grandkids with e-mail. What keeps these users from switching are the old Apple Myths, many of which are held over from the Pre-OSX era. The myth that Macs are completely incompatable with files written on Windows machines is the most prevalent and most oft-cited. The second is "There are no programs for Macs." There are many more, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion. The two myths I've cited are what keep the majority of almost-switchers from actually switching, they're afraid that they won't be able to buy software and use the files they have. Having the ability to easially flop over to Windows to run some precious piece of software will ease this fear and make it a moot point. Moreover, the freedom that the Mac offers from viruses and other malware makes /not/ switching seem almost crazy. Now that Macs do Windows, users can have their cake and eat it too.

The third group of users that this will entice are the gamers. Now, I don't think that the hardcore gamers will be quite as inticed as the almost-switchers mentioned above, but it should make the Mac a little more of a consideration for them, especially the tower models.

Apple isn't "selling out" to Microsoft or to Windows users, Apple is giving *their* users more choice and *more* freedom. This move will bring throngs of new users to the Mac.

People that fly in coach think that coach is great, until they fly first class. A Chevy Caviliear handles well and has a comfortable ride, until you drive a Mercedes. And Windows XP seems like a great OS, until you've used OS X. It is my belief that once you've used a Mac (not just sat at one for a few minutes here and there, but throughly *used* it) that you will undoubtedly see Windows in a new light; you will see it for the tasteless, poorly written, clumsy OS that it is, and that you will regard it as we Mac users already do, as something to be used only when absolutely necessary.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 10:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I think this is a Good Thing(tm) for Apple, although I want to see MORE integration, like Windows in a window on the Mac, ala Virtual PC, but without the emulation overhead (which is VERY technically possible now with the Intel Macs).

That is exactly what the app in my previous post does, and it will run any PC OS (including Linux) not just XP.

Of course this is a good thing, provided Apple can stop (or make it very difficult) for people to run OSX and Mac apps on a PC. The only people for whom a PC is undoubtedly better are those who like to build (and tinker with) their own. The situation now is that a Mac can do everything a PC can, and all the Mac stuff a PC cannot. It means my wife's design business does not need a PC to run their accounts app, or to check that their web site designs work on a PC. How can that be bad?

--------------------

bassgoonist
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 13:00      Profile for bassgoonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel as though I am a hardcore gamer. Recently I decided since I live so far off campus and have really spread out classes it would be more beneficial education wise to have a laptop. I've already sold my desktop($850!!), and I'm using an ancient one in the meantime. I was || this close to buying a dell, but now this macbook looks perfect. Sure it costs more, but you get better stuff!
X1600 instead of x1400
dvi instead of vga
backlit keyboard
and its over half an inch thinner!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture