homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » If you can't beat them...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you can't beat them...
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 06:20      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple has announced Boot Camp which will allow
windows XP to run on Intel Macs starting with OS 10.5.

Guess it's better they do this than leave it to
third parties and hax. Still I feel kind of dirty now...

EDIT: I see the public beta is availible now.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orbulon
Newbie Larva
Member # 3972

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 08:13      Profile for Orbulon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, didn't see your thread : )
Posts: 8 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 08:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a sign of the appcolypse. [devil wand]

But at leaste it would be duel boot. And thinking about it Unix is built in and many Linux companies have software for Mac (PPC) and will more then likley move to the Intel base. You could run every OS on one system.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 10:15      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Apple made a good move here.

Providing a closed system with no option to run any other OS other than MacOS, then providing MacTel's, and finially allowing for Windows to be run on it.

The idea here is to allow the user choices. Soon they may even contract out to third parties to provide 3rd party Hardware for a Mac.

Once people realize that Microsoft has a Monopoly on the market and with Apple slowly loosening it's grip on Macs, I have a feeling there will be a great shift of users moving from Conventional PCs to Macs that provide the option of running any OS and even a possibility for 3rd party devices (hopefully).

shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 13:12      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple will probably never allow third party hardware to run their OS. As has been observed much before, Apple is a hardware company. In other words, they exist mostly in order to sell their shiny little machines. The OS is there to support that primary business model.

By allowing Windows to run on their machines, they are opening themselves up to another class of customer, those who would switch, were it not for the games/apps that they can't run on Mac OS X. It is simply a tactic to try to sell more hardware.

Just notice the language used in that press release ("Apple's superior hardware").

If Apple were to allow third party hardware vendors to run their OS, or to call themselves 'macs' it would completely undermine their primary business.

It is nice to think of Apple as the good guys, who support open standards, and such. But, in the end, they have the same death-grip on their hardware that MS has on its software.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 14:15      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOOOHOOOO!

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6828092624.html

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 05, 2006 18:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...as predicted by yours truly on the March 19th Wizards of Technology. [Razz]

http://www.wizardsoftechnology.com/?q=node/view/286

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture