homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Damn Hippies!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Damn Hippies!
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 10:56      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems the "sandal and ponytail" set is slowing the adoption of Linux in commercials environments according to this CNet article.

quote:
The lax dress code of the open-source community is one of the reasons behind the software's slow uptake in commercial environments, says former Massachusetts Chief Information Officer Peter Quinn.
What do you think? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 10:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't look at me! [Razz]

I'm not that sloppy...for just that reason.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 11:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we say over here, this guy can fsck right off!

As you might be able to discern, although I am not particularly associated with the open-source community, I am suitably offended, on their behalf, by his remark. [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 11:13      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, my mom knows Peter Quinn. (She works for the Mass. Department of Education, technology department. She, by the way, got rid of the departmental dress code when she brought free software into the picture, as she wanted to create an "inviting" atmosphere for established free software hackers, and now her government building is ruled by Birkenstocks and t-shirts.)
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me get this straight.

This gentleman believes software use is decided by clothing?

Tell him I have some waterfront property in Louisiana I'd love to sell him.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear a uniform all day everyday. I love open source software. The Marine Corps loves open source software. Shit, most of us who program for the Marine Corps do so open source. (Except our classified stuff, of course [Wink] )

This guy can take his college education and rm -f /earth/america/society/self

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 16:04      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Don't look at me! [Razz]

I'm not that sloppy...for just that reason.

Get a shave hippy! [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 19:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Let me get this straight.

This gentleman believes software use is decided by clothing?

Dude, if you RTFM you will see, in fine print, the dress code that comes with every software package.

It is very annoying. I had a to buy several new outfits when I joined my lab. There're some programs I can't even use because I just will not wear the clothes for it. A labrat's got to keep her dignity, y'know. [Razz]

OTOH, if you RTFA, you will see that the real problem is lobbyists and vested interests. Politicians don't listen to people. They listen to people with money.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 21:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me puts on his hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandles, lights up a doobie, and starts to compile some code

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 29, 2006 15:34      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me Grabs his uncles remote/self activating "Fsck hand" sets it on his desk and looks into breaking SubSeven's source code so he can learn to program and use it as the base to a remote admin tool. [devil wand] [Geek] [devil wand] [Applause]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture