homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Have you seen this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you seen this?
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 08:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may all be aware of this already, but this little laptop
is a new one on me. Whaddya think? [Razz] (sorry about the Flash)

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 09:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four thousand Euros? They can keep it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 09:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Four thousand Euros? They can keep it.

...and it only contains about 1600 Euros worth of computer! [crazy]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 27, 2006 09:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy iBook clamshell tribute!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 10:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
..and it only contains about 1600 Euros worth of computer! [crazy]
The rest goes to the design firm. [Big Grin]

It looks nice, but it costs a buttload of a lot more. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 11:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The page doesn't work very well without Flash. Ergo, I can't make an informed opinion, except to say that it looks like the old toilet-seat-cover iBook. I don't get it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 11:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97;

I don't get it.

Well - if the overpriced Clamshell copy doesn't push your design buttons - what about a nice Apple television ? [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 11:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmff !
Looks like the kind of laptop Barbie™ would use.

btw - on the importance of spell-checking on websites: wtf are 'Accessoires' ? </spelling-nazi>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 12:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where do you get the specs on what's inside the Ego Tulip? What kind of processor, RAM, etc.?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 12:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn

More info here
[Smile]

Having read the specs, it is still way overpriced [shake head]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 13:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Hmmff !
Looks like the kind of laptop Barbie™ would use.

I was thinking the same thing.

It also seems like they rounded everything a little too much. They could only fit a 12.1 inch screen in it, and left a lot of empty space around it. Making a round case for something with rectangular components strikes me as generally inefficient design.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 14:10      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so dirty. must wash pink out of eyes.... ugh....
i'm going to go hug my vaio and then go retch over the porcelain throne....
And can someone please start a campaign to incinerate the company and the designers of that abomination.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 15:29      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The page doesn't work very well without Flash. Ergo, I can't make an informed opinion, except to say that it looks like the old toilet-seat-cover iBook. I don't get it.

Don't Worry - you're not missing anything from the flash version but crappy music and annoyingly slow views of the thing.

Looks like something for a 12-year old girl to watch MPGs with.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 18:06      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it, too!

Bass line from "All she wants to do is dance." by Don Henley.

If you're gonna rip of the clam, might as well rip off the music, too!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 19:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music isn't that bad... it's the crappy loop job they did that irritates me. There's a hiccup everytime the song starts over. Dreadfully annoying! [thumbsdown] [Mad]

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 21:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So - on balance... we don't like the computer and we don't like the website [Razz]
Now...what else can I find? [Wink]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 21:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
So - on balance... we don't like the computer and we don't like the website [Razz]
Now...what else can I find? [Wink]

I haven't any idea, but knowing you, Grummy, it's gonna be good! [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 00:10      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a cheap toaster..

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 08:41      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by grummash:
Well - if the overpriced Clamshell copy doesn't push your design buttons - what about a nice Apple television ?

I can't believe that nobody replied to this...
Am I the only person around that thinks these TV's are fantastic (all be it a little too small)... but I'd love to have one sitting on my desk at home.

Stupid living in Canada - the duties and taxes shipping across the border would kill me.

Something tells me I'd have to pick one up on a trip down south.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 09:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:

Stupid living in Canada - the duties and taxes shipping across the border would kill me.

Huh? Get them to ship USPS. You'll pay PST & GST, and like $5 handling.
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 11:12      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drunkennewfiemidget:

The last time that I purchased electronics and had them shipped from the states, I had to pay an import duty of almost $35. I could've been taken by Canada Customs... as I'm not too farmiliar with the process...

So, USPS is ok, and doesn't go through that?

I'll have to use them next time.

Thanks for the advice

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 12:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Drunkennewfiemidget:

The last time that I purchased electronics and had them shipped from the states, I had to pay an import duty of almost $35. I could've been taken by Canada Customs... as I'm not too farmiliar with the process...

So, USPS is ok, and doesn't go through that?

I'll have to use them next time.

Thanks for the advice

That's likely UPS or FedEx's 'brokerage fee', which I call 'theft' for short.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture