homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » This is really interesting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is really interesting
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 11:12      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont know how old tis is but it is really...interesting...?

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 26, 2006 15:15      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Essay written in 1999.

I like the tank analogy for Linux.
quote:
Hacker with bullhorn: "Save your money! Accept one of our free tanks! It is invulnerable, and can drive across rocks and swamps at ninety miles an hour while getting a hundred miles to the gallon!"

Prospective station wagon buyer: "I know what you say is true...but...er...I don't know how to maintain a tank!"

Bullhorn: "You don't know how to maintain a station wagon either!"

Buyer: "But this dealership has mechanics on staff. If something goes wrong with my station wagon, I can take a day off work, bring it here, and pay them to work on it while I sit in the waiting room for hours, listening to elevator music."

Bullhorn: "But if you accept one of our free tanks we will send volunteers to your house to fix it for free while you sleep!"

Buyer: "Stay away from my house, you freak!"

more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning...was_the_Command_Line

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 14:39      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Dont know how old tis is but it is really...interesting...?

http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/C_R_Y_P_T_O_N_O_M_I_C_O_N.shtml

fun reading.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2006 14:51      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good book -- especially the expanded edition he came out with a few years ago, in which he explains exaclty how his love afair with Apple finally came to a quick and destructive end.

The Cryptonomicon itself is also a very good read, if you can get past the first 300-or-so pages and resign yourself to the fact that Neil Stephenson cannot write an ending to save his life. [Razz]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 2 posted March 27, 2006 19:48      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but I didn't read it all .
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture