homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Why is this causing so much angst.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is this causing so much angst.
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 23, 2006 05:51      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I'm just wondering what is going on with expressions in the rest of the world.

Australia has just started its new tourism campaign (see here and click on the tv ad)
and apparently we have done the offence trifecta.

England objects to the word "bloody"
Canada objects to the portrayal of beer drinking (wtf?)
America objects to the phrase "bloody hell"

See here

Now I'm an Aussie (surprise! [crazy] ) and this phrase has been more or less accepted since my parents day (lets call it 20yrs) or at least since "Kingswood Country" (for those older Aussies).

Now is this a case of other countries not changing their social norms, or are we hearing purely the vocal minority of the "do-gooders".

I'd post more, but depending on the response here, it may have to be moved to rants and raves.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 06:41      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The AFA are a bunch of zealots who would be happy to have the government enforce rules on morality so that people will never have to judge for themselves. I go out of my way to buy products they want to boycott.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 07:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care what people say. It's slang it changes from place to place. I find accents sexy. And words in different context are part of that accent Ya you betcha don't ya know.

Ok we really don't talk like we are from the movie Fargo. Well ok if you go to some small towns away from the Twin Cities you hear some people talk like that.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 07:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been disallowed here because it promotes 'unbranded alcohol consumption'.

Oddly, if they threw the word 'molson' on the glass, it'd be OK, or some other brand of Australian beer.

Why the law is like that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

They've also refused to run the commercials during 'family shows', but that only accounts for a few hours a week.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 07:40      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 07:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody hell, I'll drink my bloody beer whenever I bloody feel like it!
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 08:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have it here in the states too. In a local paper a woman sent a letter to the editor about an ad than had run with a swear word in it, the swear word was "suck" [Roll Eyes] . The ad was for DirecTV and something like "does your TV suck? I am in the "Bible belt" area of my state, many ultra conservative republican christians live around here.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 10:12      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People need to stop all this. Do we want to go back to a time when every thing was illiegal just for the sake of it. More oppression is the last thing this world needs. So I say to all the people that complain about all these small little insignificant things. Deal with it. It's not the end of the world. People need to stop getting offended so much. Really does it matter? They are just words. It's what makes different cultuers so unique.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 11:19      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ad makes me really mad.

It makes me want to leave this cubicle, and snow-covered province.

I suddently want to go somewhere warm, drink a cold beer, and go swimming.

WAIT A MINUTE,

what the bloody hell?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 11:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvermere_____________________Not too far from where we live now. A drunken Canoest fell into the river, being shallow and slow moving he could stand up, He then started shouting a string of profanities, in general (mostly words that rhimed with smuck), there was also a family backyard pinik going while this jerk was shouting his profanties. They asked him to be quiet because of the children present, this of course made him louder. At the same time a Deputy Sheriff happened to be talking to a driver on the approchment to the bridge over said river, he could clearly hear both the mother and the jerk. Michigan has an antiprofanities act written about one hundred years ago. The Deputy was forced to arrest the jerk and the case went to trial of first amendment rights, it cost the county a boat load of money to try this case and all of the appeals, however in all of this not once has this jerk ever apoligized to the family that he was shouting at. Who was wrong.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 12:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Elvermere_____________________Not too far from where we live now. A drunken Canoest fell into the river, being shallow and slow moving he could stand up, He then started shouting a string of profanities, in general (mostly words that rhimed with smuck), there was also a family backyard pinik going while this jerk was shouting his profanties. They asked him to be quiet because of the children present, this of course made him louder. At the same time a Deputy Sheriff happened to be talking to a driver on the approchment to the bridge over said river, he could clearly hear both the mother and the jerk. Michigan has an antiprofanities act written about one hundred years ago. The Deputy was forced to arrest the jerk and the case went to trial of first amendment rights, it cost the county a boat load of money to try this case and all of the appeals, however in all of this not once has this jerk ever apoligized to the family that he was shouting at. Who was wrong.

The man in the canoe is an uncuth jerk. I doubt anyone would question that. He needs to learn to deal with misfortune and other people for that matter. The thing is that I think the family on the shore has a much worse problem than the canoeist. The family on the beach, like many many many people in this world, become offended at things that should not offend them. Using low (bad) language in my opinion just shows poor intelligence.
To become offended for hearing a syllable. It doesn't harm them, they should live and let live. What makes one syllable bad and anouther ok? It's meaning? If he was yelling "intercourse", I doubt the people on the shore would have been that offended.The thing is the charachter flaw of the man in the canoe is not nearly as dangerous of the character flaws of the people on the shore. I think it is incredibly dangerous for people to become offended at things that hurt noone. This is what starts religious wars and racial hate.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 12:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What we aussies sometimes forget is that, compared to some other countries, we're a bunch of foul-mouthed c***s !

Gets us in trouble all the time.

I found it interesting that they aired the ad during 'Lost' - a show about a bunch of people whos plane crashed while flying between oz and the USA. I can see it now, the bikini-clad lovely entices them to come to oz ("Hey Martha - lets go to ah-stralia for our vacation"), then the next thing they see is some poor schmuck being dismembered by a polar bear ("On second thoughts...")

quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
What makes one syllable bad and anouther ok? It's meaning? If he was yelling "intercourse", I doubt the people on the shore would have been that offended.

If he'd been shouting "Bugger" he probably wouldn't have been arrested, and yet the act it describes is more offensive to many people than "fsck".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 14:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
The thing is that I think the family on the shore has a much worse problem than the canoeist. The family on the beach, like many many many people in this world, become offended at things that should not offend them. Using low (bad) language in my opinion just shows poor intelligence.
To become offended for hearing a syllable. It doesn't harm them, they should live and let live. What makes one syllable bad and anouther ok? It's meaning? If he was yelling "intercourse", I doubt the people on the shore would have been that offended.The thing is the charachter flaw of the man in the canoe is not nearly as dangerous of the character flaws of the people on the shore. I think it is incredibly dangerous for people to become offended at things that hurt noone. This is what starts religious wars and racial hate.

Sorry, Ashitaka, but I think your opinion is a bit short-sighted. We are all raised to know boundaries, in that some things should not be done in some settings. When someone violates that, we are offended. People will have beliefs regarding what behavior is inappropriate/offensive, no matter what culture they are from.

If the family only politely asked the man to stop using such loud profanity, then I see nothing wrong with their behavior or beliefs. The man was being extremely insensetive to their culture, and, while I question the wisdom of making his behavior illegal, he certainly was in the wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
If he'd been shouting "Bugger" he probably wouldn't have been arrested, and yet the act it describes is more offensive to many people than "fsck".

In many areas of the U.S., "bugger" does not have that kind of meaning. It probably wouldn't carry much more weight than "cow," and I seem to recall that's a pretty strong insult elsewhere. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 15:47      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
\
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

In many areas of the U.S., "bugger" does not have that kind of meaning. It probably wouldn't carry much more weight than "cow," and I seem to recall that's a pretty strong insult elsewhere. [Wink]
Yeah, you'd think. But a lot of captioners (for TV and for live captioning [in classrooms, for example]) have their systems set up to replace any instances of "bugger" with "beggar". Which probably says something about the stigma of poverty, too ... anyway, my point was that bugger, while not as strong in the US as elsewhere, is also becoming an "uncomfortable word".

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 17:46      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:

Clearly they are all extremely jealous and did not pass the points test so they could move here like I did. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 18:02      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you pass the points test? I know something about it because my friend wanted to emigrate from Switzerland to Australia. It was bloody difficult.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 18:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARJ wrote:
Clearly they are all extremely jealous and did not pass the points test so they could move here like I did. [Big Grin]

That was an un-suitable thing to say [Smile]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 04:58      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Couldn't they have just charged him with public drunkeness?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 24, 2006 05:41      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's interesting the responses to this. I guess my view on this is very Covey (I've just been reading his 7 habits).

The only thing that you can control in life is yourself, so let people say what they like and don't react to it. I know perfectly well with my child I would not be making a scene with someone who was acting up, but using it as an object lesson.

Oh, and because no one here seems to object to the word "Bugger", here is another ad. It's from New Zealand originally, but we had a similar version over here in Oz.

Bugger ad

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Big Joe
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5006

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 11:09      Profile for Big Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
quote:

Couldn't they have just charged him with public drunkeness?
I think a good friend of mine said it best...if you bring children in an area where alcohol is served, then you can't complain about any subject matter that is discussed around you. But when you're in public, then you should pay attention to your surroundings and to who might be offended by profanity or other adult subjects. The guy in the canoe shouldn't have been wearing his ass as a hat, and should of apologized. Australia on the other hand is just doing a lil bit of tongue-in-cheek advertizing...knowing that it would create controversy, therefore exponetially increasing the visibility of the ad campaign without any additional monies needing to be paid out. Brilliant in my mind! Keep up the good work and I'd love to buy you a pint when the girlfriend and I can bloody well afford to head down under!!!

Big Joe

Posts: 4 | From: The Beach...South OC California in the US of A | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture