homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five in honour of Jace (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Friday Five in honour of Jace
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In honour of Jace Raven's good news, our Friday Five is on "lurv"

I am posting them a bit early because of D-M's surgery tomorrow. Keep her in your thoughts.

1. Who did you have your first kiss with? Who intiated the kiss?

2. Do you believe in love at first sight?

3. What is one quality that is a must in a mate?

4. Did you have or do you want a big church wedding or to elope?

5. What is your best piece of relationship advice?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:10      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. With a schoolmate in like kindergarten. It was just one of those innocent little things, and I think he did... I don't remember.
2. Absolutely
3. They have to have an excellent sense of humor, because there's not any point in taking life too seriously.
4. I would actually like something in the middle, there are certain people that I want with me when I get married.
5. If you don't want to be with someone anymore, you need to tell them yourself. Don't have friends hint about it or tell them for you.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No idea - we were about six years old, and all I know is she wore glasses. It must have been her idea as I didn't make a pass at a girl until I was nearly 18 years old.

Yes. It's not as common as people think, but it happens.

Honesty.

Small wedding - family & friends only - no stress!

Don't play mind games, it's a partnership not a competition.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 16, 2006 12:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Her name was Carolyn, and she was a gorgeous friend of mine in grade school. Unfortunately the kiss was just part of a kissing game at a party, so it was un-official, but it was soft and warm and delicious, and to this day it makes my knees weak. [hearts]

yep. it's happened to me a number of times... I also believe in lust at first sight.

She must be funny.

C. no wedding.

It's like a garden, if you don't work at it every now and then, it will get overrun with weeds.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 13:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

An ex named Meaghan. She initiated it. It was a weird situation, and I was so unsuspecting of it, that by the time I realised what was going on, she was done kissing my teeth. [Razz]

Yes and no. I believe in love at first sight, but not the kind of love required to marry and/or spend the rest of your life with a person.

Does that even make any sense?

Intelligence.

I'm getting married in a small antique old mill in Waterloo. ~75 people total.

Never ever, ever, ever settle.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 14:06      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His name was Olin, and he was my first official boyfriend. I think he technically initiated it, but the desire was definitely mutual.

I believe in lust at first sight, but I think real love needs time to grow.

A shared sense of humor.

I had a cross between the two -- a very small, intimate wedding with just a few friends and family.

Always talk to each other, even about little things. That helps them from becoming big things in the future. [Smile]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 15:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
In honour of Jace Raven's good news, our Friday Five is on "lurv"

I am posting them a bit early because of D-M's surgery tomorrow. Keep her in your thoughts.

I'm sure she'll be fine Aditu.

1) My first boyfriend. I think he intiatied. All I really remember is we were by the river, the sun was setting, and our teeth clicked.

The second one quickly followed. It went much better.

2) No.

3) I think there has to be a meeting of the minds. I don't know how to describe it. It's not love, it's not lust. It's more of a really deep, solid friendship.

Oh fsck, I don't know what I'm saying. If you've felt it you know what I'm tlaking about, if you haven't you're in for a treat.

4) I want to elope and have a big ass party in the park. Should they day happen you, your kids and your pets are all invited. Shoes are optional.

5) Don't put up with any sort of manipulation.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 15:22      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My first girlfriend (and the only 'real' relationship i've had to date).

No. I barely believe in the concept of romantic love; love at first sight is a ridiculous, naive concept.

Intelligence.

Depends. I'm kind of questioning my faith right now... I love my church, but I'm questioning the existance of God. Who knows. But I think I would rather have a wedding in a Church, because the whole point of getting married is to let people know that you are committed to someone, so why not invite everyone who is important to you to your place of worship for the ceremony?

Besides, the Cathedral in Helena is a beautiful building.

Relationships involve a lot of give and take; changing yourself isn't wrong, just so long as it's a change for the better. Don't let your loved one control you unless you really agree with what (s)he is saying; on the other hand, don't totally disrespect their wishes and do whatever you please without consulting him or her. Love is a balancing act, and it takes lots of skill to master.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 15:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really can't remember... I do remember being 5 years old and desperately wanting to kiss a girl called Louise Rands... and never getting up the nerve to try...

Oh yes... It is rare and special and still not a passport to everlasting happiness but I believe in it. Jackie and I sort of had it - though we had talked on the phone for weeks before... so that sort of bends the rules.

Compatability [Smile]
Humour and a willingness to compromise/admit when they are wrong and to realise sometimes everyone needs their own little space...

Like DNM and others a fairly small civil service and a bit of a party was our agreed choice... though Jackie insisted on the "big dress" and I nearly cried when she walked into the registry office in it...

Don't be an ass.. try and remember that you are both individuals and give your partner space occasionally, no-one wants to get "smothered" by their life... and allow each other time to cool off if you have to... and try to never go to bed on an argument... it leads to the "deaf and dumb breakfast" and things seem that much harder to put right after that... Oh yeah - and sex is great but remember "your drive and your partner's can go down as well as up". You may not always want the same amount at the same times - just accept it, it happens. If your relationship is good the sex will rebalance itself...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 16:20      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott Hosner. I was 15, we were waiting outside the choir room after school (because I took choir after regular school hours) and had our arms around each other and were looking in each others' eyes. After several times of giggling, looking away, and looking back I said, "So are you going to kiss me or not?" He decided he would. [Big Grin]

Yeah, I think so. When I first met Josh I was dating someone else and we were pretty serious. But I walked into that Calculus class and saw him and the first thing in my mind was, "That's the guy." Of course immediately afterward I told myself that was crazy since I was practically engaged to Tommy, but two months later Tommy and I had broken up and two months after that Josh and I started dating.

Sense of humor.

I wanted to have a "real" wedding, but not a huge one. We ended up being married by a pastor but on a boat downtown. We had about 100 guests.

Don't take the relationship for granted. If you want it to work, work on it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 22:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Katharine DeMan, the summer between 8th grade and high school at Erin Menser's party... spin the bottle..... what a waste of a first kiss. Don't get me wrong Katharine is nice and all, but the kiss was meaningless.

Oh yes, absolutely. But like Grummash I think it's rare and uncommon and special because of it.

ONE?! I can't pick one! There are two that are imminantly important: forgiveness and honesty.

Middle of the road. I want my family and friends to be there, but I don't want a HUGE 500+ person wedding like my sister had (they invited one of my brother's ex-girlfriends!!).

If you feel like you need out, either talk about it and resolve the issue, or get out! Not saying/doing anything won't make it go away.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 23:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Age seven, my father's best friend's son...he initiated. (Fact: that boy was killed in a drive-by shooting when I was ten.)

No.

They've got to be smart enough to not make me want to dry-heave. If you've got brains, you learn to have a sense of humor about the world that's integral to getting along with me and mine.

I don't want to get married, and if I did, it wouldn't be anywhere near a church.

Don't treat your significant other like a god, a princess, or like gum on the soles of your shoes. Just treat them like a human being.

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 03:19      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like, a real french one? D'uh, in this case, must be my ex "Martina". About.. Uhh.. holy whack 5 years ago. She initiated, we were lying in her bed.

Yep, it got me! A girl in College.. Looks fabulous =)

Nice one! Brains and humor! Very important. I want her to stimulate me on every level (emotional, intellectual,..). If she fails to do that, it can be a nice relationship, but not a mate for life.
Tits wouldn't be bad either =) hehe

I want my wedding very small, just like my sister's. Big weddings aren't just expensive, but they are also annoying because there are so many people there that some are going to be unhappy with it. So why invite them anyway?

When it's time to go, GO! Let go!

thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 03:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

All I can remember about is that my early adolescent experiences were urgent, inept, fumbling and deeply embarrassing. Happily the magic of senility has erased all memory of names etc. I can remember the first person who kissed me properly though - aaaah lovely girl!, but that's private. [Wink]

quote:
I didn't until it happened to me, and it was just like all the clichés, a bolt of lightning and an immediate realisation that I had met the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, even though I hardly knew her, very exciting and extremely weird at the same time. She did not have quite the same experience, so it took six months or so to win her around, but for no logical reason I knew straight away and nothing since has ever made me think I was in the least mistaken. Very strange, as in general, I am a cynic about such things.

quote:
In her presence I am never bored. I am delighted sometimes, infuriated occasionally, happy, sad, proud, guilt stricken, mystified and so on and so on, but never bored. I don't know how or why this happens, but being different enough so that you never know each other too well is part of it.

quote:
A marriage is a public as well as a private event. Part of what you are doing is declaring to the world that you are committed one to another and will henceforward make your life together. For that reason I didn't wish to marry without my friends family and everyone else important to me being there. It might have been different if I did not like my family. I wanted the ceremony to be one that they would be comfortable with as well as us, so we had a church service despite the fact that neither of us are practising Christians. It was a great day.

quote:
I don't think I am wise, or even good at this. I am lucky to have met someone that has stuck with me despite my manifest failings, but here goes. I never understand how you are supposed to work at a relationship, on the whole stuff just happens and you try to roll with it. Do try to be honest, but even that is an aspiration rather than an absolute, because you simply won't be able to treat each other much more virtuously than you do the rest of the world, and shouldn't expect it in return. I think that things such as a complete dog like loyalty, tolerance, and a sense of humour are probably more important. Don't over analyse the relationship. It can easily become rather inward looking and self indulgent, and a little magic and mystery keeps stuff interesting.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 06:29      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend Konrad, during my first year at university. We were at a dance. I had lots of hay in my eyes, and couldn't actually see what was happening or make sense of it until it was over. That is, he initiated it [Razz] .

Not in the least, no. I used to, but in the past couple of years, I have become deeply cynical about romance. In fact, last night while lying in bed the thought occurred to me that I am in love right now, and it freaked me out so much that I banished it from my head immediately, and now refuse to believe it could possibly be true.

Self-confidence. Any guy I go out with must be inherently comfortable in his own shoes, with no desire to impress anyone. Probably because this is exactly what I am not.

Something small in the middle. Close family and friends... there will be no church involved, but some place beautiful would be nice.

Communication is key. Always, always say what you're really thinking, and don't brush things under the carpet just because you're afraid of having a fight and losing them.

EDIT: btw, Calli, what a fantastic post... you completely inspire me [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 06:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Calli, what a fantastic post...

Amen! In fact, nothing to add, nothing to argue about. Wow! [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 08:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Calli, what a fantastic post...

Amen! In fact, nothing to add, nothing to argue about. Wow! [thumbsup]
Amen, amen.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 08:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First a D-M update. We are home and she is doing fine. They skipped the adnoids and went with just ear tubes. She's playing with her animals right now. They are all taking naps. She has carefully given them all of my kitchen towels as blankets. LOL

My first kiss was Scott, who split a paper route with my brother. I was in high school. It wasn't bad. I moved to the back sit to sit with him, but he did the kissing. It was in the back of my girlfriend's banger of a Studebaker. I knew she and Lori were looking in the back with the rearview mirror. It was kind of embarrassing.

2. Do you believe in love at first sight? I'm not sure. I think it happens, but that sometimes people think it means you don't have to work at the relationship.

One is hard and it was my question. A sense of humour is so important. I also won't be in a relationship where I have to be dumb.

4. Did you have or do you want a big church wedding or to elope? I want to be married on a beach at Cape May. I don't know why, but I fixated on this idea a couple of years ago.

5. What is your best piece of relationship advice? Don't expect the other person to make you happy. By this I don't mean you shouldn't be happy together, but I have a friend who has relationships where the relationship is supposed to fix her life. Doesn't seem to work for her, but she can't change this pattern. It makes me sad.
My advice is to be yourself. Remember to let go of crap. Holding onto it doesn't make anything better in your relationship. Chances are you do things that cheese them off too.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 08:59      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A gentleman never kisses and tells...

Alright, if you must know...

My first love. She was my best friend for 2 years before that. I intiated it.

Yes. Yes, I do... But I don't think that the reason is the sight, I think you pick up on something deeper...

Similar mores and morals.
Inteligence.

Mores
I have never and plan to never drink, smoke or do drugs. I don't think any of these is immoral (in fact, I am all for legalization (but for all laws banning people who are under mind altering substances from operating a vehicle)), but I have a hard time seeing myself with someone who engauges in these actives on a regular basis.

Morals
I need someone who, for the most part, follows the "golden rule", "wiccan reede" or "catagorical imparative."

Inteligence
I need someone who can hold their own in a argument and capable of original thought.

I don't have a preference on size, but I might alienate family if their not invited. Won't be able to afford a large wedding. I'm not christian, but not opposed to the use of a pretty building if it happens to be a place of worship.

Of any relationship, not just romantic: Love, trust and commnication are needed in a relationship. Love unconditionally, but don't stay in an unhealthy relationship just because you love someone. Be able to trust the ones you love, and be trust worthy. Communicate about anything/everything as early as possible; the longer you don't say that there is a problem, the larger the problem will be.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 09:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hmm. Lots of little kisses, exploration as far back as I can remember but the big one happened when I was 13ish. I was in the Air Cadets and we were in Inuvik for a drill competiton. About 8 of us were having a get together in one of the hotel room, cranking Back in Black (it had just come out) wearing sun glasses, we thought we were pretty cool. We ended up playing "Truth or dare" and at one point this girl Alison (who was stacked!!) was dared to kiss me for 30 seconds. About one second into the kiss she slid her tongue into my mouth. The sensation rocked my world. Soft, smoth warm and wet. I totally melted.

Nope. Lust, infatuation sure.

Openminded. That ties into honesty and a number of values I dig.

A JP married us at Miles Canyon just south of town. We had a less than 10 people there. Very nice.

Don't go to be mad, stay up and fight -Phyllis Diller

Seriously though. Marriage (or any relationship) is a lot of work, after almost 13 years lots of ups and downs, kids I can attest to that. But is worth every ounce of sweat.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 10:04      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first girlfriend, Deb. She was quite a bit older than me, and thus far braver... so she initiated.

The cynic in me would like to say no. However, having experienced it, I would be lying. So yes, unfortunately, I do.

Self confidence and independence. Someone who isnt' going to change themselves to be who they think I'm looking for.

How about not getting married? If I were to have a ceremony of some sort, it would be outdoors somewhere with only a handful of chosen family (as opposed to family of origin).

Work on it. If you are in love, it's worth the effort.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 10:15      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Club. She started it, I had no idea what the fsck I was doing. I understood most of the mechanics, but none of the human factor.

No, it's only lust at that point. Love requires more than visual cues.

Mash flexibility and understanding into one "quality" and I think that's it.

It was a church wedding, maybe 100 guests or so. I have no idea if that's "big".

Communicate. If you don't get your thoughts and feelings out, and listen/respect/respond to those of your mate's, your relationship is doomed. Your bottled up emotions will eat you alive, or explode out at the wrong moment.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 12:19      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Grade school...a cute blonde named Cindy, who kissed me on a street corner as we were walking home from school.

To quote the Beatles, "Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time." It hasn't really happened to me, though...it may have happened to Pamela, though, when she walked into our office to visit my coworker and saw this strapping young lad in the next cube over...

A sense of committment...knowing that, whatever troubles you face in the future, you'll be facing them together. And the triumphs, too. "Shared pain is lessened; shared joy increased."

We had a small wedding, atop the Santa Barbara County Courthouse clock tower, with a few of our friends around us. (If you know Santa Barbara, you'll know that's a very picturesque location. A lot of couples get married in the Sunken Gardens at the courthouse, but we preferred the commanding view up top.)

See to it that she has her own computer...and then keep your hands off it. (Unless she needs your help with maintenance.)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 12:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'll spill it. Are you well sit? "Never-been-kissed" is my middle name. At the age where most people have their first experience, I was in a girl-only school, and I had more guys that I could handle at home with my four brothers. Plus, I had some bad experiences with some "friends." It took me years to understand what my hormones were telling me, and some more to admit it. And now that I have gotten rid of my own barriers, I can't seem to find a guy worthy of it.

You know, I have a problem with the word "believe." As in "do I think it exists?", the answer is: I don't know. Pretty much like God: even though there are many people saying 'yes' and as many saying 'no', I don't have enough evidence to give a definitive answer. Which means, on the basic meaning of believing ("having faith in something/someone"), that my answer is "no."

Only one? Then, I'll have to go for the ability to love. I know, it seems very obvious, but you ask for a "must in a mate", and it's the only way to tell it all.

(Now, the answer to "what is the quality _I_ look for in a mate", the only way I can describe it is a healty dose of ambition. Not so much as to engulf him, but more in a way that he would never settle in a "ok, I am good enough, I don't need to improve anymore" fashion. That way, he would probably kick me when I shy away from my goals. And in return I... No, sorry, only him will know. [Big Grin] )

I have a big family, and pretty religious at that. And I love and respect them enough to go for the church wedding even though I don't really believe any more, even though I know they love and respect me enough to accept it if I wouldn't. Yeah, I have a great family. [hearts]

From a total newb? Sure you want one? OK, then I'll go for a general advice. Trust also means one accept to be hurt, so be ready to forgive. And it goes both way, so better ask for forgiveness than try to hide it believing in "what you don't know can't hurt."

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 14:23      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say I've had one yet.

I believe in attraction at first sight, but not love.

Understanding. We've got to be able to understand what's going on in each other's lives.

I can't really decide. On one hand, I'd like something a bit extravagant; on the other, privacy's always nice.

Don't be afraid to admit you screwed up.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture