homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Windows XP on Intel Macs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows XP on Intel Macs
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 09:58      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it's finally happened. You can install Windows XP on the new Intel-based Macintoshes. Instructions will be here as soon as it gets undugg/unslashdotted/whatever.

Any opinions, positive or negative? I know that I'll be installing it as soon as I get my MacBook Pro, but do you think it'll help or harm Apple?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 16, 2006 10:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's gonna help Apple, big time. And Microsoft will make a few bucks off software sales.

Unless of course all the Mac geeks switch teams once they get a peek at XP. [Big Grin]

I like how Apple has been coyly sitting back watching this contest. Like as if they don't have it running already. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:39      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that would hurt Apple. With Windows able to run on an Apple computer they have effectively become just another computer manufacturer and there is no reason not to get a cheaper one from Sony, Gateway, or Dell. Unless $500 is what you want to pay for looks.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that makes sense... I'm happy to pay extra for the operating system and all its perks (as well as the looks, reliability etc.) Remember, the Macs can run Windows and OSX... other manufacturers can't make computers that run OSX (legally).

I'm more worried about software... will people stop porting Mac software if they know that users can just boot into Windows to run it?

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 13:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I'm more worried about software... will people stop porting Mac software if they know that users can just boot into Windows to run it?

At first, maybe. But then, as once-Windows-only-people-who-bought-that-machine-that-can-run-both-OSes will get used to the MacOS, they'll want toleave Windows aside (or at least most of them will, I hope), and start asking for Mac version of their softwares so they can break their last dependency on Windows. So, on the long run, demand for Mac software will increase, and only the most stubborn software maker can play deaf to their clients' wishes.

But I could be wrong.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 14:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I cared to run a cheap "generic" PC and a version of Windows I would do that.

But I don't... personally I like to have as little contact with Windows as possible. because I believe Mac OS is "just better".

I could dual boot my Macs with a PPC Linux if I wanted... again I don't, not because I dislike Linux but because I like Mac OS better and the most desirable apps from Linux can mostly be run in X11 or are available for OS X anyway (Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP, AbiWord, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, X-Chat Aqua, Adium etc. and some variants such as NeoOffice/J, Seashore, etc.

OK - some people might get some use from it (and it would mean you could get by with just a Mac even if you have some Win only software you just have to use... Management Information Systems and Sage Accounting spring to mind in my trade...)

The only downside I can see is big software makers getting lazy and saying just boot into Windows but I don't think that is a really big risk. Even MS have agreed to continue with Office for the Mac for "at least" five years. If software writers think Mac users love their software enough to change to Windows to keep on using it I think they are very mistaken indeed. I could get all my major Apps on Windows if I cared to do so and run a high spec PC instead of G5 towers (but as I have said already I don't). Mac users use Macs because they think they are better.

Perhaps the best outcome might be true "universal binaries" as in Win and Mac in one installer but I can't see that happening somehow... [Frown]

Other than that you can take my Macs when you can pry them out of my cold dead fingers.... and no I don't care if they run on PPC, or Intel or bleedin' elastic bands and bubble gum... Just so long as they run Mac OS and not some nasty MS pile of old steenkin' socks that is supposed to pass as a "modern OS"

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 15:33      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
do you think it'll help or harm Apple?

With Intel supporting true virtual machines in the dual-cores running in the MacIntels. And Xen 3.0 being able to install/boot an unmodified Windows XP ontop of Linux we are just a short ways from running Windows XP at full speed in a window under OS X on a MacIntel.

That's where the real magic will happen. When I can have a vertical Windows app running in an OS X window alongside native OS X apps talking to each other across a virtual LAN and both the Mac apps and Windows apps are running at native speeds (none of this VirtualPC emulation slowdown) then we will have nirvana.

I bet we'll be there before the end of 2006 and that will help Apple because OS X will run any application (Mac or Win or even Linux) at full speed side-by-side with no dual-boot malarky!

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2006 05:10      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why run windows when you can run WINE? http://darwine.opendarwin.org/index.php [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture