homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Chocolate (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Chocolate
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 21:56      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
Is it obvious that I like See's? [blush]

Nothing wrong with that! [Big Grin] I tried their gourmet lolipops once and really liked them. I didn't know that they had the marzipan, though. Thanks for the info!

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 22:14      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniélín Aine:
Nothing wrong with that! [Big Grin] I tried their gourmet lolipops once and really liked them. I didn't know that they had the marzipan, though. Thanks for the info!

Just didn't want to sound like I was shilling!

Of course... after all the See's truffles I've eaten over the years, and bought for family members, I wouldn't be opposed to a free box every now and then by way of thank-you (*hint to See's marketing department*).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 22:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are See's truffles as good as Trufettes (Truffetes?) de France? The chocolates we had at Christmas here at work were absolutely to die for!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 01:04      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In England there is this shop called sweets from hevean (it is a shop which imports its products from the usaa and south africa and the like ) but over the counter they have the biggest bar of chocolate in the world and its a chocolate chip hershy's bar ( dont think i spelles that correctly but oh well.) I love the american produce but unlike what we have over here it has no sweeteners and crap in its drinks. Its strange but nice.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 08:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought nobody made chocolate quite as disgusting as ours until I tasted a Hershey bar. Yuk yuk yuk.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 12:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I thought nobody made chocolate quite as disgusting as ours until I tasted a Hershey bar. Yuk yuk yuk.

Seconded.

Hershey made a big push to break into the aussie market a few years ago, about 2 months later every 'Reject Shop' in oz had mountains of Hershey bars for sale at 5 cents each.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 15:38      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Are See's truffles as good as Trufettes (Truffetes?) de France? The chocolates we had at Christmas here at work were absolutely to die for!

Having never tried them I couldn't compare. But a box of See's truffles has been a favourite Christmas present for my Dad & myself for as long as I can remember. I guess you'll just have to try out some See's and compare for yourself. I don't know if they still do it, but it used to be that you could get a free sample when you went into their stores.

--------------------

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 15:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See's chocolates... the only place I've seen them is at the shore. Do they have other locations?

EDIT: Googled 'em. Found 'em. Theirs are filled chocolates.

Truffettes de France: http://www.giftshopcafe.com/default.asp?dept_id=215

Pic from www.bluefrogchocolates.com:
 -

--------------------

Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 20:38      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
quote:

Just didn't want to sound like I was shilling!

Of course... after all the See's truffles I've eaten over the years, and bought for family members, I wouldn't be opposed to a free box every now and then by way of thank-you (*hint to See's marketing department*).

They should send you a free box for promoting their product. *Sending Chocolate giving vibes to See's*

To everyone: Which country do you think makes the best chocolate?

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 01:43      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm not sure if I can give you a reliable answer until some testing is done. How many boxes of chocolates per country do think would be reasonable for testing purposes?

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 08:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Switzerland!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 08:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Suck on my salty balls......
Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 09:20      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
 -

Suck on my salty balls......
Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em

This time of year I like to bring out my Schweaty balls.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 12:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, that was one of the funniest sketches ever on SNL Alec Balwin, Molly Shannon and wassername. IIRC Bladwin (who has hosted more times than anyone) was deadpanning while Molly was almost coming unglued trying not to laugh.

Sad to say though SNL has tanked since those days and Horatio Sanz (sp?) and Jimmy Fallon actually fake that they are laughing, mid skit to make up for their lack of talent.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 12:52      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Switzerland!
Amen to that. My best friend/housemate is Swiss, and every time she goes home to visit her family, she brings back huge blocks of cheap Swiss supermarket chocolate, which tastes a million times better than anything you can get over here.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 17:38      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

WeirdArms & I are pretty partial to Lindt 70%, so I guess I ditto Switzerland.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 19:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilbur Buds, especially the dark ones, are very smooth and rich. Quite delicious and almost on par with European chocolate!

--------------------

cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 01:05      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hell, i just reach for the nearest dairy milk bar and eat the chocolaty goodness...mmmm god that makes me hungry! [Big Grin]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 07:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:
quote:

Switzerland!
Amen to that. My best friend/housemate is Swiss, and every time she goes home to visit her family, she brings back huge blocks of cheap Swiss supermarket chocolate, which tastes a million times better than anything you can get over here.
I would say the real decision is which swiss chocolate is the best. I am quite partial to Lindt's Cuban variety. 55% Though the equadorian variety comes in a close second.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 17:42      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow:

I'm not sure if I can give you a reliable answer until some testing is done. How many boxes of chocolates per country do think would be reasonable for testing purposes? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Of course as many as needed... It's critical research! [Wink]

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 17:47      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm deprived then... I've never had Swiss chocolate. [Frown] I've had German chocolate and really liked that. Oh, wait! I've had Lindt's Lindor truffles... They sell them individually at bookstores. I guess I'm not as deprived as I thought I was! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 21:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Ashitaka...which Swiss chocolate is the best?

Hmm... I've got to say...Tseucher.

Lindt is great, and I also have fond memories of some great Swiss chocolate found in a shop on the Cape many years ago.... but Tseucher is just wonderful.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 23:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lindt is great, and I also have fond memories of some great Swiss chocolate found in a shop on the Cape many years ago.... but Tseucher is just wonderful.

Tseucher is great chocolate, but they make even better ice cream than chocolate. They make the best ice cream in switzerland. But maybe this is a post for a different thread. But if you ever have the opertunity to try, I seriously recomend it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 11:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

Tseucher is great chocolate, but they make even better ice cream than chocolate. They make the best ice cream in switzerland. But maybe this is a post for a different thread. But if you ever have the opertunity to try, I seriously recomend it.
Oooh...did not know about this. Next time I go to Tseucher's, I'll have to see if they have a refridgerated case. I don't know that they import that, though -- so far I've just been lucky enough to savor their chocolate. [Smile]

--------------------

i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 14:14      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was last in New York, I ran across a shop called Vosges, which adds ingredients like peppercorns, curry, and sesame seeds to its truffles (not all on the same one, of course). It's an interesting effect, and I like their truffles overall (though I've only had one small box). On a more traditional note, I tend to like Godiva, See's, and Lindt.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture