homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Roll Up the Rim Tim Tidbit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roll Up the Rim Tim Tidbit
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 22:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dispute is brewing in Quebec over a sport utility vehicle after a winning "Roll Up the Rim" coffee cup was found in a garbage can.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/08/timhortons_dispute060308.html

MMMMMM roll up the rim to win. A Canadian tradition. [thumbsup]

Nitro's won a coffee, so far I am 3 and 0. [Mad]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 22:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We are Experiencing Technical Difficulties
You will automatically be returned to the CBC.ca home page as soon as regular service resumes.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To contact CBC Audience Relations please call:

1-866-306-4636
or 416-205-3700 for Toronto-area residents

E-mail:[email protected]

[Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 01:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For you Rhon,

Alternative link as posted on fark.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 06:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn on this one too -- I think it is a case of finders keepers, and because the kid helped her roll up the damned rim, it doesn't mean they're entitled to part of the prize. That's just nonsense.

At the same time though, everybody already agreed to share, so I think going back on your word is a disgraceful thing to do.

Since they already agreed to split it, I think they should sell the vehicle, and split the money.

Humourously enough, I'm in the middle of drinking a raspberry hot smoothie right now in my tim horton's cup, and thus far, I have won nothing. Neither has Amanda. I'll update this post if I win something. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 07:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an SUV - who the fsck wants a gas guzzler like that anyway?

Show me the money!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 07:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's an SUV - who the fsck wants a gas guzzler like that anyway?

Show me the money!

You can trade in the SUV and use the money to buy goods and/or sevices.

I recal a simmilar simpsons quote but i'm too lazy to go look it up right now. (or ever Really)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 07:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the situation: one of the girl found the cup, the other one helped. They can't claim the prize because they're minors, but even in Quebec, higher education comes with a price. Knowing that in such contests, there is always an equivalent money prize to claim as an alternate prize, I say:

The parents should take the money, split it, and create an education fund for their girls.

And that would be a double-win, as amount put in such funds can be used for tax-deduction. For me, it's really a no-brainer, but I know when there's a large amount of money at the stake, so many people turn less-than-brainless...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 13, 2006 22:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another development in the Case of the Shared Tims cup...

A Montreal lawyer wants a DNA test on a prize-winning Tim Hortons coffee cup

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 04:53      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I live in Atlantic Canada (Tim Horton's test-market), I drink a lot of Tims. A group of us at work have a standing deal that whoever drinks the coffee, and whoever bought the coffee will split the prize.

And on a side-bar, I'd just like to let everyone know that Tims is going public - The stock will be listed on both the TSE, and the NYSE under the ticker "THI".

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 06:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the teacher that chucked the cup wants in on it now too.

I think the government should claim the cup, sell the truck, and give the money to charity so all those greedy fuckers get what they deserve: nothing.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 06:36      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The teacher had nothing to do with the finding of the prize, if the cup was found on public property (I'm assuming a lot here because I am not familliar with Canadian law) the girls have every right to the prize by themselves, the teacher threw the cup away, if on public property he made his ownership of the cup void.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 09:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timmy's rulez.

quote:
customers at participating Tim Hortons locations in Canada and the States of New York, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania (USA) may receive and roll up the rim on specially marked Tim Hortons medium, large and extra large size hot drink take-out contest cups*. Revealed inside the rim will be a "Win" or "Play Again" message. A "Win" message will describe the specific prize available to be won.
Neither of the two kids were the customer. The rules did not entitle them to roll up the rim and win.

quote:
To be eligible to claim a prize, a person must be a resident of Canada who has reached the age of majority in the province or territory in which he/she resides. In the event a person under the age of majority receives an eligible RIM TAB, they are permitted to transfer the RIM TAB to their parent or legal guardian, who will then be the eligible entrant.
"Receives." Hmm.

quote:
Winning RIM TABS are not transferable or convertible to cash except as specifically provided herein.
Hmm.

quote:
Upon receipt of your completed entry and in order to be declared a winner you must first correctly answer, a time-limited, arithmetical, skill-testing question to be administered by telephone at a mutually convenient time.
I hope the parents can subtract as well as the kids.

quote:
I hereby declare that I have not perpetrated, and am not perpetrating any fraud or deception in claiming the prize. I declare that I obtained my potential winning rim tab through authorized sources.
Hmm.

quote:
The company said as far as it's concerned, the prize isn't close to being rewarded to anyone yet.
No kidding
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture