homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Beaumont Texas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beaumont Texas
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 08:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaumont Texas. Lets see if I have this right 90% of the Army shipments go through this port, the new landlord will be the UAE they will know all of the carnot (lading orders and ports of call) of all of our shipments to ports around the world. I do not think that Ike would have approved, nor any other security concious general or admiral in the US armed forces.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 13:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan

I've not heard of Beaumont Texas prior to your post...but let me see if I have this right...either:

1) The port was owned by your government, and they chose to sell it to the UAE

2) The port was privately owned, and your government allowed it to be sold to the UAE

3) The port always belonged to the UAE and your government kept this information a secret

Which ever of these I the case, this information is not inspiring confidence in Dubya over here in Yurrop [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 14:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently owned by P&O (a British company), about to be sold to a company based in the UAE.

What's the problem?
The UAE is a friendly government, or are we just at war with all Muslims?

btw - wasn't it the Reagan administration that sold Pearl Harbour to the Japanese ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 15:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - A few points in clarification:

1) I didn't realise that we, if indirectly, owned the port in question. So, apologies for my ignorance.

2) I assumed that, one way or another, the port was under Merkin control; again, apologies for my ignorance.

Having said this, my comment was not predicated on distrust of Muslims - rather it was about what I thought was an inconsistent attitude to security on the part of the US government. Again, my ignorance was the problem, as it turns out to have nothing to do with the US.

I understand why my earlier post looks gauche, and if anybody connected to the UAE reads this (or indeed if any Muslims from anywhere read this) -
Please understand that I can be remarkably stoopid sometimes.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 15:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD & Grummash__________The deal is that the port is still owned and located in Texas, However the company owning the lading equipment and employing the crews will be UAE, as a course of business all carnots will pass through their hands. This is tantamount to giving the fox the henhouse, all shipments of weapons and supplies from that port will be handled by the UAE owned shipping corp.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 15:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
TFD & Grummash__________The deal is that the port is still owned and located in Texas,

Glad to hear they're not physically relocating the port to the UAE, that would present certain practical difficulties [Wink]

However the company owning the lading equipment and employing the crews will be UAE, as a course of business all carnots will pass through their hands. This is tantamount to giving the fox the henhouse, all shipments of weapons and supplies from that port will be handled by the UAE owned shipping corp.

This is only a problem if you consider all Muslims to be 'the enemy'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 17:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD___________________I do not consider all Muslims as the enemy.

However I grew up in a different time than you, My whole family was somehow involved in WW2 I heard my uncles talk about loose lips sink ships, When I went off to University I had to sign a American loyalty pledge. As I rebelled and was expelled from school I was faced with the draft (Vietnam) I choose the Navy, because of my brothers career I had an instant security clearance. I served in an Electronic counter measures Squadren. We only flew at night and our planes bore no markings. So to me ships, their movements and cargos are secrets. I dislike Tosiba because they sold equipment to the russian ship builders that allowed the cat and mouse game of submarine hunting to become much harder, that software and equipment was developed by my brothers employer. State secret information must be kept so, however spying on ones own citizens does raise my ire.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2006 01:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ports are currently operated by a foreign company, and have been for some time. What's changing is the nationality of the owners, from a 'white christian' country, to a 'brown muslim' country.

The current fuss is based on the assumption that brown muslim people can't be trusted.

I'm british, although I've lived in oz far longer than the UK. For most of my life my homeland has endured a series of terrorist attacks from a bunch of Irish Catholic nutters. While living in the UK, the HQ of the company I worked for was blown up, I had a series of 'near misses' (eg, buildings I'd been to a week or so earlier, or places I had appointments to visit, were blown up), and the (muslim) guy I used to buy newspapers from was turned into a red mess that had to be identified by DNA testing. I am not a fan of terrorists.

The big difference between then and now is that back then, no-one was refusing priests or nuns travel on commercial airliners, no-one tried to ban the public display of rosary beads, and no-one suggested that Italians or Spaniards couldn't be trusted because they're Catholic. In short, people understood it was the IRA nutters who were the enemy, not Catholics in general.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2006 08:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD__________________I was appalled when I found out that Beaumont Texas was operated by a foreign corporation. That said at least it was run by a company from a country that in the past was an ally.

Some more back ground My great Grandfather was an Irish tinker, his wife a Titled Scottish lady. They fled Scotland and settled in what was then known as Dakota. Their daughter My Maternal Grand Mother was quite an influence in my life. My Maternal Grand Father was an Irish born orphan that was shipped to America to avoid the famine. My Paternal parents were a mix of Pennsylvania Dutch and Scottish. The area I grew up in was a mix of Irish, Scots and Polish. Religion influences were Catholic, Methodist and Anglican.

Any time that there is such a great disparity in socio-economic opportunities there will be unrest, then if you have the clergy advocating that martyrdom is an option. I agree that there are nutters, however the IRA operatives did not use suicide missions because that would have meant going to hell, not earning one hundred virgins. Do the virgins have a choice in this matter. Many of the "browns" in this matter may not have much to live for and not many options to escape, to them a Happy Meal would be a Feast. They do have access to the media where they see many Westerners enjoying many luxuries that they will never be able to partake of. There is great jealousy, of western ways and opportunity's, why should Ten percent of the worlds population use ninety percent of the worlds energy, and have ninety percent of its wealth and contribute ninety percent of the pollution.

So if you are trying to insinuate that I am a racist, I may be, but religion seems to be an excuse to classify people as them and us. A few years back I had the good fortune to know one of the most tolerant religious men I have ever known, by the way this is for some of the American readers a Southern Baptist Preacher, a true man of the cloth.

As to Spying, having been in a high security level job and jobs I was tailed on many occasions this was done because of the secrets I knew, and the Department of the Navy had a right to know who I was associating with and why. Now that I am thirty years removed from the knowledge of said secrets I would be offended if I was spied upon, as I pose no threat.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2006 10:34      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our gov teacher was ranting about this whole scenario, and I have to agree with what he said: it's not so much the country we're handing the ports over to, so much as the fact that Bush made the deal covertly without any input from congress.

The Constitution states that conress has authority to oversee and manage all interstate and international trade activities. The management of major ports falls right under that category, but W. decided to forget that little bit and erode people's trust in his party that much more.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2006 10:59      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know part of it will be stopped in judical system. NY and NJ both jointly oversee (in commettee) NYC and some other port in NJ (and maybe others), and they sued to stop the buyout, saying it violates a lease aggreement they have with the current owner. Those normally are very sucessful, and so that part will be stopped.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 11:04      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Many of the "browns" in this matter may not have much to live for and not many options to escape, to them a Happy Meal would be a Feast. They do have access to the media where they see many Westerners enjoying many luxuries that they will never be able to partake of.

Many suicide bombers come from well-to-do circumstances, or are at least comfortable. Witness the London bombers, or the young woman who was a successful Palestinian TV host who took out a couple of Israeli soldiers at a bus stop. There is certainly more to it than jealousy.
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 14 posted February 27, 2006 18:37      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww I love Beaumont.
Could stand to have a big mall, though.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted February 27, 2006 20:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm ...

Head of the 9/11 comission says he has deep concerns over security on this deal.

United States Coast Guard, whose job is to guard (paying attention?) our coasts (you know, where ports are located) says they have serious concerns about this deal.

One of the Emirates who is actually one of the owners of this firm was spotted, after 9/11 chumming, around with Osama.

Folks who don't have concerns? According to latest polls, that would be the 18% of voting Americans who would watch Dubya strangle Laura on national TV and still believe him when he tells us she was having a heart attack and he was merely supporting the dear woman by the neck.

Oh, and did you see that great job this summer ol W did of protecting the great port of New Orleans? (Or was that the fault of the 90-year old ladies in wheel chairs who couldn't get out of town?)

Oh, oh, oh. The guy in charge of Homeland Security says this is safe. Of course, he also told New Orleans they were safe in the face of Katrina. Now New Orleans has to take his word again on the Dubai deal? You know what they say, "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice and screw up the quote with a line from a Who song, and you sound like W."

Until lately, I never believed people could earn advanced degrees in stupid.

Oh, oh, wait, weren't these the same people pointing at pictures of shipping containers and swearing up and down that every one they saw in Iraq was a bio lab? And what kind of containers come off ships in our ports?

Yeah bubba.

Of course this is the same group of folks that can't tell the difference between a quail and a 78-year old man and they say, "Trust us on this one?"

Your heads ever quit spinning from watching all those NASCARS go roundy-round?

Wake me when you find the WMDs, boys.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 21:43      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Awww I love Beaumont.
Could stand to have a big mall, though.

Seriously??
I do hope you are kidding. Beaumont is the armpit of Texas. It smells like rotten eggs and the refineries are really an eye sore. It's also surrounded by some of the most backwoods, uneducated, racist communities I have ever had the displeasure of visiting. Of course, I am certain that there are good people living there, but they should move. Seriously. (Just don't move to Galveston. It's not much better.)

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture