homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Rhonwynn gives a potpourri for Friday Five (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rhonwynn gives a potpourri for Friday Five
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 17:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not thinking straight right now. Does anyone have a list of Friday Fives they've been dying to post??? I'm looking for some help! Thanks
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 17:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potpourri:

1. What's your favorite childhood memory?
2. If you had to choose between living in a beautiful place by yourself (no Internet!) or in a barren wasteland with lots of your favorite people, which would you choose?
3. If you could be on a trivia game show, which would it be?
4. What do you put (or not put) in your coffee?
5. What would make you change your political party affiliation/support to another one?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 19:18      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in Dusseldorf.

2. If you had to choose between living in a beautiful place by yourself (no Internet!) or in a barren wasteland with lots of your favorite people, which would you choose?
Right now, I'm gonna say no people ... in the long run though, I'd prefer the barren wasteland.

Win Ben Stein's Money.

Only barbarians drink coffee. The rest of us know the joy of tea.

5. What would make you change your political party membership to another one?
I'm an independent. I don't vote on party lines, and I don't think the moderates in either party are all that different.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 22:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiking with my father in the Catoctins.

THe beautiful place, because my hermit-like tendencies get harder to fight with each passing year.

THe irnoy is my beautiful place would probably, in the eyes of some, qualify as a wasteland. :/

Don't watch enough television to answer this.

Lots and lots of milk.

But I take my tea straight up.

5. What would make you change your political party affiliation/support to another one?
A complete reversal of platforms.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 06:40      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What's your favorite childhood memory? I don't really have a favourite. One of my earliest is playing dolls on the back steps with my mom. I still own one of the little dolls from that day.
2. If you had to choose between living in a beautiful place by yourself (no Internet!) or in a barren wasteland with lots of your favorite people, which would you choose? I don't like being alone, so I'd have to be in a wasteland
3. If you could be on a trivia game show, which would it be? Jeopardy. I've been a ringer in Trival Pursuit. He didn't tell his sister that I was a librarian.
4. What do you put (or not put) in your coffee? I can only drink coffee if it has a ton of milk and sweetener. I drink more tea. I drink my tea with only a sweetener and a lemon sometimes.
5. What would make you change your political party affiliation/support to another one? I'm already concerned at the conservative shift of my party. Still I know the Green party in my state will never get anyone elected.

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 07:00      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One night at my grandparents' house in the village in Pakistan. There was a power-cut, so we sat around a fire in the courtyard, singing old songs in Urdu.

The wasteland, every time. I would be lost without the people I love.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire? ... I almost called up, once. Heh.

Milk and two sugars. Never cream, though. Coffee with cream tastes really nasty to me.

As Xanthine said, it would have to be a complete reversal of platforms.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 07:15      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

1. Collecting crinoid stems on my great grandfather's ranch in Brownwood.
2. I only have one or two favorite people - she hates barren wastelands.
3. Win Ben Stein's money or You Don't Know Jack (or is that just a computer game?)
4. I like my coffee black.
5. I vote independent.

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 07:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What's your favourite childhood memory?
I have tonnes. I can't pick a favourite.

2. If you had to choose between living in a beautiful place by yourself (no Internet!) or in a barren wasteland with lots of your favourite people, which would you choose?
The barren wasteland.

The Weakest Link

Coffee is vomit inducing vile crap.

A complete shift in views.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 07:31      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potpourri:

Um, being 6 and building my first Crystal Set Radio, while doing $150 worth of damage to a computer my dad was fixing

Alone

None of them. They are all pathetic

No Coffee. I drink tea, And I only use sweetner if I absolutely need to.

5. What would make you change your political party affiliation/support to another one? I may be Republican, but I vote independant. [thumbsup]

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 07:47      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no memory of my childhood

Well what's the point of life without the internet? Plus even though I am a bit of a loner, I think I'd get bored without someone to talk to. Or have sexual relations with.

I would so kick ass at Jeopardy!

Tea! But if I have to drink coffee it must have lots of sugar and some milk.

They're all the same, so it doesn't really matter.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 09:26      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've blocked out most of my childhood... but if I had to think of something, I'd probably say watching the race cars with my dad when I was 2.

Beautiful place. There are some very wonderful people in my life, but I value my solitude.

I'm not really familiar with any trivia shows.

Another one on the tea bandwagon. If I do drink coffee, I use organic brown sugar. (Yes, it's organic, shade grown, fair trade coffe, too.)

Hell freezing over.
/me goes off to check the weather report.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 09:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good round of questions, Rhonwynn!

Coming out to the living room one Christmas morning and seeing, parked next to the tree, the very bicycle I'd wanted...a Murray Baja 10-speed cruiser.

Can I choose the barren wasteland with a high-speed Internet connection, either with or without lots of my favorite people around? [Big Grin]

Any one that would have me. Better yet, if they were doing a "Couples Week," Pamela and I together would kick ass.

I rarely drink the stuff, but, when I do, lots of cream/half&half/milk and sugar. Otherwise, I can't stand it.

Well, this has actually already happened...I switched from Democrat to Republican because the Democrats, in my view, had gone totally over-the-top-and-down-the-other-side-again screaming batshit insane. I put it this way: "I didn't leave the Democratic Party; the Democratic Party left me." For the Democrats to win me back, they'd have to get rid of the rabid moonbat wing of their party and adopt a platform of strong national defense and kicking the terrorists' asses while maintaining good fiscal discipline and moderation on social issues. Oh, and they'd have to ditch the gun-grabbers, too.

IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 09:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really think of a favorite at the moment.

Some would say I've already chosen the wasteland. It's called Fresno. [Wink]

Probably "Who wants to be a millionaire?" I don't think I'd be fast enough on the buzzer in a lot of the Jeopardy-style shows out there.

I also don't drink coffee. I drink my tea straight.

I already dropped my past affiliation. I might join another party if I can find one that is somewhat close to my political leanings.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 10:22      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What's your favorite childhood memory? Not a clue. It was all pretty good.
2. If you had to choose between living in a beautiful place by yourself ... wasteland with people.
3. If you could be on a trivia game show, ... History of computing
4. What do you put (or not put) in your coffee? Jamesons or maybe Baily's
5. What would make you change your political party For the republicans to go back to real fiscal discipline, stop creating unfunded mandates for states and ditch the religious fundementalists.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 10:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably cuddling up with Mom on her bed and listening to her read The Magician's Nephew to my brother and me.

If I was completely by myself in the beautiful place, I would have to choose the wasteland. If I got two or three of my favorite people there with me I'd take the beautiful place with no internet.

I would probably want to be on Jeopardy. I almost got to be on Who Wants to be a Millionaire once, but I had a previous commitment so I couldn't go to New York.

I usually don't drink plain coffee (vanilla latte or mocha is my usual drink) but when I do it's black with three sugars.

I already did actually. Until recently I was registered Republican. Then I started doing a little research, reading the news, and deciding for myself instead of aping my dad's opinions and I switched. I still vote republican on some issues and democrat on others, but I vote my conscience. I am actually registered with no party right now.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 13:13      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting Peebs.
I already did actually. Until recently I was registered Republican. Then I started doing a little research, reading the news,

Reading the news != research. Most of the news programs have a HUGE bias. That bias is towards ratings, and bad news and scandals sells.

and deciding for myself instead of aping my dad's opinions and I switched. I still vote republican on some issues and democrat on others, but I vote my conscience. I am actually registered with no party right now.
But you sound to have a heavy left lean... Not that it's bad (wrong maybe [Big Grin] , but not bad).

Friday Five.
Mine. But that's because it's the only child hood memory I have -- if I other people's memories, I'd be rather confused indvidual, I gather. "I remember when I was 6... Or maybe it was when you were 6... hmmmm..."

If I could take one person, I'd hop even faster to that beautiful place... But eve so, I think I'd prefer the beautiful place alone... If I had a computer (not the internet, in order to remain true to the question), electricity and a the computer had a complier installed.

Let's take a look at the ones I'd consider:

- Win Ben Stien's money... The questions are harder than Milionare, but the payout's not as big.

- Milionaire... The big payout and medium questions.

- Jeopardy ... The questions vary quite diverse, and the inital payout isn't very large. The chance to continue comming back again and again makes the payout giant...

It's a tough call between the three of them. Can I use a life line on this question?

I don't drink Coffee.

I'm not crazy about either party. I identify with the republicans, but would love to see an outsider, without a party and not being a career politican.

What matters to me is issues:

I think abortion after there is heart beat and brain activity is murder -- unless the mother is danger, in which case it's self defence/defence of others.

I think that inteligence that made the UN order, what was it, 19 resolutions and psuhed the congress and senate to give Bush the go ahead was convincing enough to enter Iraq. I think the fact that Sadam didn't comply with or bother to explain to the UN his non-complance is warent for his removal of power. I think finding mass graves of people killed by the government of Iraq is grounds to remove Sadam from power. I think it would be irresponsible to leave Iraq without a viable government. I have faith in the military leaders adviszing Bush.

I think marrage should have no legal status, and not be issue of federal government. That a civil union should exist, and that any citizen or legal resident should be allowed to enter into a civil union with any other citizens or legal residents.

DMCA should be revoked, it's not new law on Copyright, only a restriction on speech. Software patents, patents on life saving medicine and GMed food (at the very least) shouldn't exsist. Copyright, on the other hand, on software should, but current copy right is broken and needs to be fixed. I don't know about copyrighting life saving medicine, as we do need to encourage private industries to produce them. Copyright on anything that is alive copies it's self, wether we want it to or not, is stupid and irresponsible.

I believe in cutting federal taxes, and letting private industry and state governments to provide the programs the Feds have to cut. The "necesary and proper" clause should be removed from the Constitution, as it has been abused... All the effect from having it should not be removed, but a lot of federal programs should yeild to state and private programs.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 13:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Quoting Peebs.
I already did actually. Until recently I was registered Republican. Then I started doing a little research, reading the news,

Reading the news != research. Most of the news programs have a HUGE bias. That bias is towards ratings, and bad news and scandals sells.

Okay that was doing research AND reading the news, not BY reading the news. Thank you.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 15:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting Mickey Mantle's autograph.

It's no choice; it's the same place.It's barren Madrid, NM, and all my favorite people live there.

Jeopardy, "This Old House" version.

French Press, Black, please.

1). Republican House and Senate impeach Bush and Cheney, try them for treason, convict them and execute them at the half time of next year's Super Bowl.
2)Arrest the religious right for terrorism and send them all to Gitmo. Every once and a while ask 'em, "Still think torture is OK?"
3) Balance the budget, Republican's spend money like a Las Vegas whore with a Sugar Daddy's Gold Card. And have less of an intention for paying their bills.
4)IF YOU SUPPORT THE WAR THEN FIGHT IN IN AND PAY FOR IT! OTHERWISE YOU ONLY ENJOY "WELFARE FREEDOM!"
5)And quit calling us veterans traitors for serving, when you righties can't change your own panties and fight.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 16:42      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, wait, I have a better answer for number 4.

I like my coffee the way I like my men...

Rich, dark, and bitter.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 17:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Wait, wait, I have a better answer for number 4.

I like my coffee the way I like my men...

Rich, dark, and bitter.

Well, at least you didn't say
"ground up and in little bags in the freezer" [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 17:34      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...with a spoon in...

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 17:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight can I have one of Quantumfluff's coffee's. A coffee with Bailey's would hit the spot.

You can't just say getting Micky Mantle's autograph and leave it there....... We want the story!!!!!!

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 17:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

uh..... I'm drawing a blank here

wasteland

my favorite rhetorical quesion: Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?

usually: a little powdered creamer, a little (<1tsp) sugar, and a splash of 1/2% milk

optimally: 4-6 half-and-halfs, a little sugar

If I'm feeling silly: 2-4 third-a-third-and-a-thirds, and a little sugar.... cartoon reference, does anyone know which one

I'm currently leaning away from both of the major US political parties, they're both full of liars and swindlers. I am a registered Democrat, but that doesn't mean too much to me.... although... to answer the actual question, I agree with Colonel Panic.

BTW: Welcome Back Colonel!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 20:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

I'm drawing a blank

Hey there, Kris. Would you mind demonstrating this for those of us who have trouble imagining it? [Razz]

PS - Glad you survived your first mugging. It could have been worse.

Edit: 4. I like my coffee the way I like my women: Hot, black and strong!

<Here endeth the gratuitous threadjack>

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 21:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Having a lion scare the bejeezus out of me at the zoo. A big male charged the fence and hit it with full force. I've really liked lions ever since.

I like wildernesses, with or without people.

Pass.

Milk, sometimes.

I'd have to find one that wasn't run by incompetent, self-serving leeches.
Doesn't seem likely.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture