homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 10:25      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has to have surgery in March. In theory it isn't a big deal. Ear tubes and adnoids. Somehow it doesn't seem like a little deal to me.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 10:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh poor thing! It sounds like pretty minor stuff, but I know that any little thing that happens feels terrible as a mom. I hope everything goes well and D-M is back to her happy self soon after.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 15:44      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had both. My adenoids were removed when I was 13 during my tonsillectomy; in for a buck, so let's rob the bank, right?

I've had T-tubes (the more permanent form of myringotomy) more times than I know (literally - I'm not sure anymore how many times I've had 'em; somewhere between 6 and 8, I'd guess). It's a pain in the butt, but the pain is pretty mild. If she's like most of us, she'll be dizzy and groggy for a few hours, and the pain will go away in 2-3 days at most.

It makes a big difference in the number of ear infections you get, and is very much worth it. Just make sure not to get water in the ear while there's a hole in the ear drum, 'cuz it hurts like heck. Swim plugs are your (and her) friends :-)

Good luck! You are doing her a huge favor, and possibly saving her hearing.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 17:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it is for the best. It's just that neither of my parents do sedation well. I know D-M isn't related to them, but it just makes me nervous.

They made her earplugs today. One is bright pink and the other purple. The lady said it helps you get them in the right ear. D-M thinks they are preeeetttty.

Thanks for the support.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 19:32      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
They made her earplugs today. One is bright pink and the other purple. The lady said it helps you get them in the right ear. D-M thinks they are preeeetttty.

Heh. That is definitely true. The big motivation when I was a young'un (although I suppose I still am ...) to learn to put in my own hearing aids was that Mom & Dad always put 'em in the wrong ear first. To this day, they swear it was accidental ...

I love the whole "stylish hearing aid" movement now. My aids are clear plastic, through which you can see the PCB. The colored/clear aid thing started as a way of motivating young kids to wear them, but they look nice on adults, too.

I'm sure you're in good hands already, but I'll just pass on some advice that I wish I'd had when I was younger. First, allergy meds can be a very good thing. I started taking Zyrtec a few years ago for ragweed allergies, but it's amazing how big a difference they've made in how wet my ears get. Ask your ENT if s/he thinks its worth trying. Second, go in to the ENT every 4-6 months if you can and get any excess wax curetted out. The tubes tend to increase drainage (kind of the point, right?), and the hearing aids (she wears aids, right?) keep the ear relatively un-ventilated, so the cerumen tends to get impacted. Since she won't be able to wash her ears out with water anymore, this is really important - and my advice would be that you get an ENT to do it, not a nurse. Nurses often forget about the whole tube thing and want to siphon the ear ... Third, a hearing aid conditioner is worth its weight in latinum. Reduces moisture, reduces itching, and prolongs the life of both the aids and the batteries.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 19:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sisters and I had tubes in our ears when we were little 'cause we developed frequent ear infections. I still remember my sister screaming 'cause she hated the process. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 20:28      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
My sisters and I had tubes in our ears when we were little 'cause we developed frequent ear infections. I still remember my sister screaming 'cause she hated the process. [ohwell]

Huh. I was always put under. Were they doing temporary tubes, or the semi-permanent ones, or just a hole in the eardrum?

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 21:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure. I know it was an outpatient procedure. The tubes never seemed to stay in her ears long; they were always falling out, so we'd spend a lot of time in the office getting new ones in.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 22:13      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only imagine what it must be like to know that your child must experience pain, especially when they are too young to understand what is going on or why. I think your fear and anxiety is perfectly normal. I have trouble when my dogs get their shots. I had four or five sets of ear tubes throughout my childhood. I was always put under, and I don't remember any pain, just groggy confusion. I do remember taking advantage of the post-procedure popscicles (yumm).

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 22:29      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'm not sure. I know it was an outpatient procedure. The tubes never seemed to stay in her ears long; they were always falling out, so we'd spend a lot of time in the office getting new ones in.

The surgery is outpatient, but since you remember having 'em done a lot, I'd guess she had the temporary type which are inserted while the patient is conscious. T-tubes are generally a bit more permanent (they can stay in for as much as a few years, though months is more common, while the other type only last for weeks, I think).

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2006 06:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She doesn't wear hearing aids right now. Our hope is that this will save her hearing. She just fitted for ear plugs yesterday.

Hers are going to be in for a while or at least that is the plan. The doctor is estimating at least a year. Although he says we let them fall out and don't take them out.

Powderhound
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4519

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 25, 2006 18:05      Profile for Powderhound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu, my wife is an OR nurse and has been in on tons of these surgeries. As with most surgeries, it's the drive to the hospital that you need to really worry about.
Also, our son had tubes put in when he was about 3. My wife was woking that day with the Dr and they had a cancellation so she called me and 1/2 hour later I'm at the hospital with my son; 20 minutes later they wheel him into the OR, 5 minutes later they wheel him back out. Done. He was still sleeping, but that's how little time it takes (for both ears). AND it finally put an end to countless ear and throat infections. My wife, who wasn't in on the procedure, was a wreck even though she knew there was nothing to it. Such is a mother's love, I suppose.
As a quick note, she's been an OR nurse for about 20 years on everything from trauma, the heart team, and the neuro team as well as general surgery (such as your daughter is having) and despite what they show on TV, the % of times that things go wrong is amazingly small, and NONEXISTANT for the procedure she's having. So don't worry Mom, everything'll be fine; it'll be waaaay harder on you than your daughter. Oh, as I said earlier. Drive carefully on the way there; the streets can be dangerous.

Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2006 18:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Aditu and Dora-Marie! I think that, since she is your daughter, your concerns are not out of the ordinary, but I'm sure she'll be just fine. All your worry means is that you're a good loving mother doing what good loving mothers do best.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2006 13:42      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww... I hope everything goes ok!

I just found out from my mom yesterday that my doctor wanted to put tubes in my ears and my mom said no. I STILL have ear infections to this day. In fact... I have a horrible one right now and am on 4 different medications to try to clear it up.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 06:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
I can only imagine what it must be like to know that your child must experience pain, especially when they are too young to understand what is going on or why. I think your fear and anxiety is perfectly normal. I have trouble when my dogs get their shots. I had four or five sets of ear tubes throughout my childhood. I was always put under, and I don't remember any pain, just groggy confusion. I do remember taking advantage of the post-procedure popscicles (yumm).

Must be small dogs. All the dogs I've ever owned didn't even notice when the vet gave them shots.

.. then again, my pets were always pretty dumb. [Razz]

(Yea, yea, <insert joke here about pets being like their owners>)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 08:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping everything will turn out ok.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 27, 2006 09:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu, things will be fine, after all, Dora-Marie has one the greatest moms in the world. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 11:54      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Must be small dogs. All the dogs I've ever owned didn't even notice when the vet gave them shots.

.. then again, my pets were always pretty dumb. [Razz]

(Yea, yea, <insert joke here about pets being like their owners>)

Yeah, I have two boxers and I think it's harder for them to get them up on the table than it is to put the shot on them =D

This is the first time I hear about those ear things, when I was little I used to have lots of ear infections, now I know why my hearing isn't that great x)

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 13:44      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. What you know in your head is sometimes in variance with your irrational worries.

I think they can put ear tubes in adults too. They are just a little larger. Although they are very tiny to begin with.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 14:51      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I think they can put ear tubes in adults too. They are just a little larger. Although they are very tiny to begin with.

Yes, and no. There are a few sizes of tubes, but they tend to be chosen more based on the balance of drainage vs. vulnerability than on ear size.

I'm getting my one remaining tube removed next Monday (no anasthaetic, since I'm not a pediatric patient, and I'll be going right back to class). I may be having the holes in both ear drums patched this August, as they've gotten far too large after 13-14 years of tubes, at which point the Doc will choose to either make a permanent hole, or insert another set of tubes.

Oh yes, and my current tube (in just the right ear) has turned sideways, making it a harbor for infection while also preventing it from draining.

Hearing about how otitis media is normally a "pediatric concern" gets pretty boring after a few years. [ohwell]

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 19:59      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing done when I was about three, I'm perfectly healthy today, and none the worse for the wear. My mom did the same OMG thing when I had it done and is now so glad that she did because it stopped my chronic ear infections. So just take a deep breath, and it'll all turn out alright. [Smile]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture