homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » $365 Million (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: $365 Million
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I would guess he is right actually. But my reasoning is just that when I went to the jeweler's to buy Josh's wedding ring by paying cash I paid 20% less than the sticker price. If I had paid with credit I would have paid the full thing. People like to have their money now and will usually take less if it means they get it sooner.

I would suggest that has more to do with the exorbitant fees that VISA, Mastercard, Diner's Club, Amex, etc, all attach to doing transactions with their cards.

That's right folks, as well as scamming you for inordinate amounts of money in the form of interest, they also charge merchants a percentage of the sale when you swipe their card through that magical little machine, too.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CR, my dentist gives me a whopping 5% discount for paying cash. Doesn't take much sting off. Luckily I have really good teeth.

No idea about the doc. Ever since my sis wnet in for a check-up years ago and came home with adrenal cancer I've been afraid of doctors. As a result, I don't go.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
I would guess he is right actually. But my reasoning is just that when I went to the jeweler's to buy Josh's wedding ring by paying cash I paid 20% less than the sticker price. If I had paid with credit I would have paid the full thing. People like to have their money now and will usually take less if it means they get it sooner.

I would suggest that has more to do with the exorbitant fees that VISA, Mastercard, Diner's Club, Amex, etc, all attach to doing transactions with their cards.

That's right folks, as well as scamming you for inordinate amounts of money in the form of interest, they also charge merchants a percentage of the sale when you swipe their card through that magical little machine, too.

It's nowhere near 20% though - more like 2.something, if I recall correctly.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
CR, my dentist gives me a whopping 5% discount for paying cash. Doesn't take much sting off. Luckily I have really good teeth.

No idea about the doc. Ever since my sis wnet in for a check-up years ago and came home with adrenal cancer I've been afraid of doctors. As a result, I don't go.

Tsk-tsk...Xanthine, you should know better than that. [Smile]

I had a cousin, seemingly in perfect health...died in his late thirties. Turns out all his arteries were clogged - he hadn't gone to a doctor in *years.* This is a guy who fell off a building and survived, was hit by a truck and survived, and probably encountered some other outlandish happening and survived. But...he succumbed to fatty food, or something of the like.

I know you take care of yourself, but throwing in a routine physical can help that out a bit more.

Myself...I get 100% coverage for it, so I'd be a fool not to do it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 10:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
quote:

It's nowhere near 20% though - more like 2.something, if I recall correctly.
Yes, you're right, but I'd take a 5% hit if it meant not having to give VISA or MC money they don't deserve.
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 11 posted February 21, 2006 15:55      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with posts from the first page on having my own staff of employees (all illegal immigrants from various coutries so I can 'see the world') and on having a wonderful bathroom.
You can't live on this money, of course, seeing as many people who win the lottery are broke within five years.
I would shop a little .... get a nice house, car, and some clothes... ect.
I would invest, get a famous skater boyfriend,and ditch him for a more sensetive geek. I would continue to work, but not as hard.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 15:58      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
don't you try calling your doctor and/or dentist, Magefile?

Because I'm one of the "lucky" few for whom medical expenses far outweigh my premiums. If you don't go to the doctor all that often, it may be cheaper to pay cash; and it's possible (although I'm still skeptical) that I would pay less than my insurance company pays. But even if you don't use medical services all that often, you're still taking a hell of a gamble - CORBA only forces insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions if you haven't forgone coverage for more than 6 months.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 16:00      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
don't you try calling your doctor and/or dentist, Magefile?

Because I'm one of the "lucky" few for whom medical expenses far outweigh my premiums. If you don't go to the doctor all that often, it may be cheaper to pay cash; and it's possible (although I'm still skeptical) that I would pay less than my insurance company pays. But even if you don't use medical services all that often, you're still taking a hell of a gamble - CORBA only forces insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions if you haven't forgone coverage for more than 6 months.
Too, as I explained in my lengthy rant on the previous page, I already pay out of pocket more than I'd like to, simply because there are some necessities that insurance just doesn't cover.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 16:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

/me gets an explanation of benefits form and a paystub from January of 2005

One month of dialysis: $12,095.28
One month insurance premium: $78.25

... and that was just the dialysis. That doesn't include blood tests, doctor's consultation fees, medications or anything else.

Have fun paying cash if anything serious ever happens. I'm sure the discount will be worth it.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 17:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here the difference between insurance and no insurance is much easier to swallow, thanks to public healthcare.

Not having health insurance here means paying for your medication, hospital bed, eye exams, glasses, and dentist.

Dialysis, doctor's visits, surgeries, etc, are all paid for.

I don't have any health insurance beyond the public one, and it doesn't cost me a cent, and hasn't since I've moved out on my own when I was 18.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 20:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here the difference between insurance and no insurance is much easier to swallow, thanks to public healthcare.

Not having health insurance here means paying for your medication, hospital bed, eye exams, glasses, and dentist.

Dialysis, doctor's visits, surgeries, etc, are all paid for.

I don't have any health insurance beyond the public one, and it doesn't cost me a cent, and hasn't since I've moved out on my own when I was 18.

I'm not all that familiar with the Canadian system, but one of the other forums I hang out on is a UK disability issues forum. The general consensus is that government-provided healthcare tends to screw over those who need it most - those with chronic or expensive health conditions, and those with rare health problems. Works great for the rest of you, but that also means that insurance companies are non-existent.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 21:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Hmm...

/me gets an explanation of benefits form and a paystub from January of 2005

One month of dialysis: $12,095.28
One month insurance premium: $78.25

... and that was just the dialysis. That doesn't include blood tests, doctor's consultation fees, medications or anything else.

Have fun paying cash if anything serious ever happens. I'm sure the discount will be worth it.

The first time my sis got sick they had her on some sort of four drug chemo cocktail (they've cut back to the one that actually had a an effect on the tumor for her recurrences). One of those drugs was so nasty it had to be adminstered overnight, so that was a night in the hospital every two weeks for four months. On top of whatever the drugs themselves cost. To keep her immune system functioning she had to inject herself with a recombinant hormone that cost $1500/dose. She had to take it daily. The co-pay on patented drugs through our carrier at the time was $15. She also got hospitalzed a couple times throughout the affair, including a week in the ICU after the tumor came out.

This last time around she was in the hospital for three weeks, and spent most of that time "eating" through an IV because her stomach wasn't working. She also, in that three week period, underwent two major surgeries. This was followed up by chemo fun, which came in a pill form. This may have held down cost but it certainly didn't blunt toxicity. 2005 was one fun year, let me tell ya.

Drug and equipment prices are set by companies, not hospitals. Service fees cover the cost of the equipment and drugs and labor. There's a point at which no more discounts can be given if the docs want to break even, never mind profit. magefile and Steen are right. Have fun paying cash. You may get somewhere, but for anything serious or chronic, you might just end up ruined.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 04:45      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What insurance company is going to give someone with preexisting cancer coverage for under $80? The fact is, even a healthy person can't get it for that without going through an employer. Have you tried pricing independent health insurance lately? I know my self-employed father can't get it for even close to that low.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 08:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, enough's enough.

This thread is all about a hypothetical situation in which each poster has suddenly won $365 million. In this situation, the money is the poster's to spend as they please.

I have a sister who's been fighting a rare and deadly form of adrenal cancer since 1998. She's in remission for the 3rd time. She's getting ready to go to teacher school, but until then she's working a temp job that has none of the benefits she needs to pay for things like CT scans and replacement hormones for the adrenal gland they wiped out in her last course of treatment. So she's got some sort of private insurance she's paying through the nose for on her temp salary. As a result, she's living in a room with no heat and we're all more than a little bit anxious about what will happen if the tumor comes back. This is why, if I won the Powerball (which I didn't; I've got no desire to play lotteries) I would get her a policy. Using my money. Not your money. Not your employer's money. My money.

What goddam right do any of you have to question the gift I'd give my sister? Seriously.

I'm not talking about this anymore. Go jump down someone else's throat about how they want to spend their hypothetical, non-existent money.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:00      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well spoken, Xanthine!

For the record, arranging for proper health care for Pamela would be something that I would do with that kind of money, too. Whether that would be through a private policy, just pay-as-you-go, or via some other means, I don't know and would probably have to get advice on from somebody competent...but Pamela's health issues aren't nearly as serious as Xanthine's sister's, sounds like. There would have to be a replacement for the health insurance I would no longer have from working at the job I'd no longer be working at, though; that part is pretty much a given.

Now, enough depressing matters...

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Xanth. I completely forgot where that debate started and just got caught up.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 17:14      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw....all this over fake money. Nice!

*changes subject

I would have one of these made for myself.

My mother would get anything she wants and needs because she has done her best to raise me with the little money she had. I would make sure she was completely pampered at all times for a long time. I would make sure she went back to school and do what she has always wanted to do. My mom does not drive so when I cannot drive her around, I would get her a chauffer.

I would give my two brothers 1 million each not including a home of their won.

My little sister would have 1 million as well except she will have her student loans paid off as well as the car she is currently driving so she is able to use the money she has to buy HER mother a house and herself.

My father would get any amount of money he needed to pay off any debt for traveling back and forth between Florida and Delaware to see us every year and the play baseball. He loves baseball and he also travels with his team. He might also get a vacation to PR fully paid with some spending money.

I would invest what is left after I pay off the small debt I have and my car. I would buy another 2 cars: a SUV and a Luxury vehicle. I would set aside enough to spend on little things I may need and pay for school and my real estate license. I would than open my business.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 22:21      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now we know who won the big Powerball jackpot...a group of 8 meat packers from Lincoln, Nebraska. They all work (worked?) at a ConAgra ham-processing plant near the convenience store where the winning ticket was purchased.

They've chosen the cash option; each of them will get around $15 million after taxes. Not quite as good as having the whole $124 million to oneself, but still, a pretty big chunk of change.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 23:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, a slight change of topic, but I had this discussion with a mate a while back...

How much money would you need to win before you thought "Ok, I can quit my job and never work again" ?

My mate thought around $2 million (aussie, about $US 1.5 million), I must have simpler tastes, (or be lazier) because I'd be happy to retire with about half that.

So, how greedy/lazy are you?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 07:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

How much money would you need to win before you thought "Ok, I can quit my job and never work again" ?

However much would earn at least $50,000 per year in interest.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 08:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD makes an excellent point.

I'd suggest the same as Peebs. Whatever will earn me $50k/year in interest. It's less than I make right now annually, but I wouldn't have expenses like gas to drive to work, and it'd be worth it to not have to climb out of bed and drive accross the city every fscking morning.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 23, 2006 09:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never work again? Are you crazy? I have dreams I want to realize before going on a life of leisure.

I'd need enough cash to start my own research lab and pay for half a dozen pair of helping hands, and either have enough to pay their salary (and some pocket change for me) for 5-10 years, or the remaining of the money would have to produce enough interest to pay for that until I have made (or proven impossible to make) those neat tools I want to build. (I'd be the one having the big ideas, and the others would build it!)

Only then would I call it quit and go on a perpetual world-wide tour.

The only problem is, in order to get my own research lab and find employees who would respect me enough to do what I tell them, I'd probably need at leat a Ph.D., so I'd need money to do that, too. All in all, about 15-20 M$

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 09:37      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

However much would earn at least $50,000 per year in interest.
Good idea, except I'd boost that to $100K/year. After taxes. And I presume the definition of "interest" would include dividends and any form of investment income.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture