homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » $365 Million (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: $365 Million
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 19:59      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Build really nice fence. and some gum.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 21:57      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go nuts because I wouldn't know what the ^!&%^!%& to do with that kind of money. $365 million?!?! I would have to give a huge portion of it away. I wouldn't be able to live with myself hoarding all that cash like a hamster or buying ostentatious "luxury" goods.

Ok... plan... I would put about $10 million in a money market account and live off the interest. Then I'd slowly give the rest away. But $10 million even seems excessive...

Like I'll face this problem anyway... [crazy]

>>>>>>>>>>>RE-ENTERING REALITY<<<<<<<<<<<<<

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 22:09      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much to do with so little money...
First I'd tithe about 20% to church, then pay my parents' debts, my brothers' debts, get my grandma a decent house, get my parents' a nice place out in the country with lots of trees and perhaps a small lake near so my dad can do his fishing and my mom can keep our dogs ^_^
Ask my friend that knows about stocks and stuff like that (I know nothing about how to invest the money and all that) about a promising company and buy some stocks, probably help each of my brothers get a nice place for their family, travel all around the globe, give my parents the trip to where ever they want for their Aniversary, travel some more, this time just to the places I liked the most (I wouldn't stay at expensive places, probably find a cheap place, you get to have more fun and adventures that way ^_^), get a place to live near lots of trees, a decent car, computers for everyone in the family (nieces included, hope those little girls grow up and become geeks to make their aunt proud ^_^ ;) , sponsor a kid at Compassion (I don't forget!!) and get the kid lots of things.

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 06:37      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is much better than my FF this week. [Smile]

Let's see.

1. pay off the house. Sounds so trite, but I always worry about something happening and paying the mortgage.
2. College fund for D-M
3. Travel. I love to travel.
4. Father Sadie would make sure the church got their cut. LOL Love that man but he is a born fundraiser. Still he save our church's bacon financial.
5. Scholarships. I've always wanted to start a bunch of scholarships. Like a nursing scholarship in memory of my mom. Or training for firefighters in memory of my grandpa. Or one for kids from NJ to go to MIT. (My dad got accepted but couldn't raise the dosh.)
6. A new car. Not necessarily a posh car. Mine is 12years old
7. Pay off my siblings student loans and such. Set up a trust fund for my stepsister who has developmental challenges and send her to a really big Star Trek convention. She would be over the moon if she could meet the Klingon from Next Generation. His name just went out of my head
8. A library bookcase with one of those rolling ladders and more books. Not sure I really need more books,but you always want more books.
9 Anonymously mail money to some of my library patrons who are great but in need.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 08:34      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I even won that amount of money I'd...

1. Buy a Victorian house and completely restore it to it's original state. (With updated wiring, roof, appliances, etc.) My dream...

2. Buy a reliable car. (Mine's 14 years old)

3. I know everyone's already said this but... Pay off my bills, my Mom's bills, my Dad's bills and my Adopted Mom's bills.

4. Buy my Mom and Adopted Mom new cars and houses. Get my Dad set up in a cabin in the woods (like he's always wanted) so he can hunt and fish. (And a new car)

5. Set said people up with enough money to live on.

6. Donate, Donate, Donate! Give some to the public library, Humane Society, smaller humane societies, set up scholarships, etc.

7. Throw the most awesome Victorian wedding possible and tour Europe with my new Husband.

8. Invest so I can live off the interest indefinately.

9. Get an awesome gaming computer and master all Final Fantasy RPG's.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 14:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would I do with that sort of money.....

Family - make sure everyone has a good income guaranteed.

Charities - rather than big donations,I would set up some sort of foundation or trust, so that the lump sum would be protected and the charities would get the interest for ever. Greenpeace for the planet, and Amnesty International and the Red Cross/Red Crescent for people, and then lots of smaller local charities.

Then I would buy a big piece of land, somewhere where there is a threat to the natural environment, and then I'd fence it off and restore it to a healthy state. Once this was achieved (which may not necessarily be in my lifetime) public access could be restored on a sensitive, manageable level.

And of course, the best thing about having a shitload of money like that...would be the ability to change people's lives just by signing a cheque.
"Your school needs £250k to stay open?...there you go!"
"Your Animal Rescue Centre can't meet its vets bills....have this £100k cheque!"

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 16:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that if I was that obscenely wealthy, that as well as healing the sick, feeding the hungry, and creating housing for the homeless, that I would throw a magnificent party and do some bad bad things... [devil wand] [devil wand]

The actual truth is I would hate to have that kind of money. Apart from the responsibility, that kind of money cuts you off from everyone else but the super rich, who are not generally very nice or entertaining people.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 19:06      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing that I would do is pay my mom back for the loans she's taken out for my education thus far. Second, Kris, my little brother, younger cousins, etc. and I would have our educations paid for, because being a broke college student sucks. Third, go to Barnes and Noble and go nuts. Buy a house, no more apartment [Smile] . Make sure that my grandma could retire and live comfortably (she really deserves it after putting up with all of us). $100 million (at least) would be set aside for charity, and the rest would go into a savings account. That's about it...

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 22:03      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Buy a Harley Davidson.

2) Give each member of my immediate family (Aunts, Uncles and Cousins) 1 Million $

3) Buy a Harly Davidson

4) Ensure that my parents, brother and his wife, would never had to want for anything again.

5) Buy a Harley Davidson

6) Build myself my dream house (Gaming room in cellar with wi-fi networks, 10MB connection, computers; bedrooms on the ground floor; living room, kitchen, cinema on the first floor).

7) Buy a Harley Davidson

8) Invest the rest to make sure that I will never work again.

9) Buy a Harley Davidson

10) Give some, anonymously, to charity.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 18, 2006 22:40      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, someone in Nebraska won the big jackpot...so now they'll have to answer this question--for real!

Ah well, there's always next time...

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 09:21      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang it! <of to mend fence - again>

edited because i am on sudafed and can't spell dang

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 10:54      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Set up a trust fund with the express purpose of supporting/funding a few OSS projects I like. I could get a couple known contributors, and offer to let them quit their job in exchange for more full time contributions to the projects.

EFF will get a chunk.

Custom house, LAN gaming, Multi-level library, screening room, etc. Definately needs a porch (one that wraps around the house).

Cars, and maybe a few more cars.

Ohh, and some Garlic Guy sauce, I don't think I'll be getting some for my birthday (yesterday, I officially became an old man, even though I partied like a young one).

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 22:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
1) Buy a Harley Davidson.
3) Buy a Harly Davidson
5) Buy a Harley Davidson
7) Buy a Harley Davidson
9) Buy a Harley Davidson

Why not just Buy Harley Davidson? [Big Grin]
One of your others was "invest so I don't have to work" or something along those lines.

I, personally, would... :
1.) Pay off all debts and finish school
2.) Start a bussiness
3.) Hire an assistant; just so I can fire them over "creative differences"
4.) Start flipping houses (seperate from the bussiness, but connected...)
5.) Make Mutal Funds, CDs, bonds or someother such in relitives names, such that the relitives get dividends, but can't touch the initial investments and have them all auto roll over.
6.) Build house, buy piano, get married
7.) Donations in the form of Trust Funds, Investments and time...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 23:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Write a very large cheque to a couple of orphanages in Uganda and Peru.

2. Write another very large cheque to the Kidney Foundation research fund.

3. Deposit a huge steaming turd on my bosses desk.

4. Party !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 09:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Buy my sister the best health insurance policy I can find.

2) Pay some debts

3) Make a hefty donation to the American Cancer Society (they paid my salary last year; I owe them, etc.).

4) Not sure. A nice house up in the hills would be nice, but the hills ahve a tendency to burn in the summer and I'm not sure bike commuting would be as feasible. But I could have a dog. And a rose garden. Hmmm.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:21      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

With $365 mill, you should buy the whole family insurance. Or heck, with that kind of money, don't even bother with all the paperwork and reimbursment hassles - just go out of pocket!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 12:07      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, why would you need ANY kind of insurance with that kind of money?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 14:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CR, magefile, cancer is expensive. Enough said.

quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:

With $365 mill, you should buy the whole family insurance. Or heck, with that kind of money, don't even bother with all the paperwork and reimbursment hassles - just go out of pocket!
The rest of family is insured through my mother's employer. This insurance is very good and very nice about covering things like CT scans, hospitalizations, sudden and dramatic surgical procedures, etc. However, Sisthine aged out of it back in December and is now paying through the nose for insurance (she's got a temp job and therefore no benefits). Of all the people in my family, she needs it the most and we're all very worried about her.

She'd probably slap me if I bought her insurance, but she'd accept it. That's just the way she is.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 18:24      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
CR, magefile, cancer is expensive. Enough said.

She'd probably slap me if I bought her insurance, but she'd accept it. That's just the way she is.

Believe me, I know expensive healthcare. By the time I was 13, I'd had 3-4 major surgeries (depending on one's definition of "major"), probably 8-10 minor ones and been hospitalized via the ER half a dozen times. I go through the whole radiology (X-ray, MRI, sometimes CAT) every 6 months, ankle orthotics every 12-24, an electric wheelchair every 5 years and hearing aids every 7-8. Because of an allergy to penicillins and a susceptibility to certain types of respiratory infections, I am on strong (and expensive) antibiotics maybe twice a year. If not for the fact that my father (voluntarily) switched jobs, and thus HMOs, every few years, I have no doubt we would've hit my lifetime cap. Even with the coverage we have, some of these things - the wheelchair, the hearing aids, the orthotics - are not covered or only partially covered.

I was also involved with the legal battle to bring an enzyme replacement therapy to the market - one for which the patient population is in the hundreds or thousands worldwide, so the cost of treatment is in the hundreds of thousands every year. Not only does this make the lifetime cap an issue, but many HMOs resist paying for the treatment, even though it's a lifesaver.

Yeah, I know what expensive healthcare is. I stand by my statement that with $365 million, insurance would be unnecessary. Even after taxes, it's a better deal; insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid patients like your sister since they're expensive; it's how the game works.

--------------------

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 19:18      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also important to keep in mind that no medical treatment costs as much as your insurance pays if you pay for it with cash.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 20:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
It's also important to keep in mind that no medical treatment costs as much as your insurance pays if you pay for it with cash.

That statement is a bit confusing, and I would also tend to believe...wrong.

While there is little doubt that some doctors gouge insurance companies, as far as I know, many plans negotiate a lower rate with the doctor if they are part of the same insurance network. As best I recall, this is the case with my ins. plan, and if I were to go see my doctor without insurance, it'd cost a lot more than the number listed on my Explanation of Medical Benefits.

However, YMMV, IANAD, IANACA (Claims Adjuster). HAND.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 20:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

While there is little doubt that some doctors gouge insurance companies, as far as I know, many plans negotiate a lower rate with the doctor if they are part of the same insurance network. As best I recall, this is the case with my ins. plan, and if I were to go see my doctor without insurance, it'd cost a lot more than the number listed on my Explanation of Medical Benefits.

I would guess he is right actually. But my reasoning is just that when I went to the jeweler's to buy Josh's wedding ring by paying cash I paid 20% less than the sticker price. If I had paid with credit I would have paid the full thing. People like to have their money now and will usually take less if it means they get it sooner. In 2 years working as a hearing aid dispenser Josh hasn't gotten a single insurance company to pay up, despite the fact that they are "covered".

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 21:26      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

I would guess he is right actually. But my reasoning is just that when I went to the jeweler's to buy Josh's wedding ring by paying cash I paid 20% less than the sticker price. If I had paid with credit I would have paid the full thing. People like to have their money now and will usually take less if it means they get it sooner. In 2 years working as a hearing aid dispenser Josh hasn't gotten a single insurance company to pay up, despite the fact that they are "covered".
Nope. Insurance Cos. negotiate a lower price. Why? Because they can. They have the volume, and they have the ability to deny a doctor patients ("Oh, you want to charge more? Ok, you're no longer in-network. That means 30% of our patients can't see you anymore."). The hearing aid thing is just them being asshats - I assume they're using the same argument I've always heard, which is that hearing aids are a, "luxury item". Never mind that ASL/CS aren't options for everyone, or that interpreters and transliterators would cost more anyway ... but that's a thread in and of itself.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 21:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For that matter, what is up with the almost complete lack of proper vision care in insurance plans? I need my glasses to function...but if I were to try and get any reimbursement, I might get something like $13/lens, which is an utter joke. My glasses cost a few hundred dollars and are worth every penny. Why is this not covered? Am I supposed to just trip over things or have my nose touching my computer screen? I just don't see why this stuff can't fall under a system similar to prescription medication.

/me hates the whole industry.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 08:00      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply Cheaper

and here:
quote:

Among the 44 million are medical consumers who have "wised up" to the fact that paying cash for medical care is cheaper than insurance, as their doctors charge them as little as one-third of what they bill insurance companies for the same services. This can't be right. We should work harder to give them medical insurance so they can pay the full price!

and a reply to that article:
quote:
Good point. I have medical ins. but no dental. My dentist gives me a 30% discount for cash. The insured patients are paying 30% more than me.
You know what, I would be willing to bet you money that if you called up your own doctor right now and asked for cash prices, it would be cheaper than using insurance. The fact is it costs them way too much to file the claims, and that is only one reason for them to offer a discount.

Why don't you try calling your doctor and/or dentist, Magefile?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture