homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » $365 Million (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: $365 Million
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 16, 2006 23:12      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the amount of money in the Powerball jackpot for the drawing on Saturday, February 18. It's a new U.S. record for lottery jackpots.

Of course, the lump-sum payout is rather smaller...$177.3 million. And, of that, you'd probably keep around $110 million after taxes.

Still, that is a truly insane amount of money. What would you do with it if you won?

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2006 23:40      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to top of mt. everest (even though i hate the cold)

go to bottom of marianas trench

go to space by making a copy of spaceshipone

get several houses in several nations, and cars (of course)

live the rest of my life doing whatever the hell i please

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2006 23:55      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell my HMO that they can go to hell. And pay off my college loans. So I'm uncreative - go sue me, now that I'm worth something :-D

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 01:06      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a very, very, VERY nice computer [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(And maybe a house, on my island, within my portion of my land)

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 01:27      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Florida... [hearts]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 03:57      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calculate how much money I need to put onto a bank account permanently to live reasonably well off of the interest rate income.

Then, from the remaining ammount, I'd buy (in no particular order):

A nice SLR camera.. A Hasselblad H2D-39 would do (Hasselblad's new heavy metal machine: a 39 megapixel camera). Maybe a Canon Eos-1D MarkII would do as well, with multiple reasonable lenses..
A flight into space (preferably after I bought the camera to take nice shots).
My own airplane: either a Concorde or some other jet. Maybe a DC-10 or MD-11 ? But since getting a Concorde back into the air would seriously bust the budget, I'll have to go for the other options..
I'd get my own pilots license to fly these aircraft..
And: houses or apartments in various places all over the world (+a car each)- must-haves are:
NY, San Francisco, Vienna, London and maybe somewhere in Tokyo...

D'uh.. and all these nice small simple pleasures as: cleaning ladies/house-sitters and butlers..
I am not sure if I'd get one set of employees each, or just let 'em travel with me?

Oh yeah: before I forget- memberships to all those pr0n websites I like..

[Smile]

Nothing more comes to my mind!
But I guess that is a pretty nice list anyway..

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 05:09      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would spend it all on a house... but put 90% of it towards making the bathroom as luxurious as possible. I've always wanted an elaborate bathroom.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 06:12      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea we were so selfish around here [Eek!]

I would certainly make sure I set aside enough to live comfortably, but I would also spread some monetary love around to extended family, needy people in my community, and maybe start a scholarship for kids in my area.

I think it goes without saying that to "live comfortably" I'd need a number of electronic gadgets and a nice house & car of course [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:02      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I had no idea we were so selfish around here [Eek!]

Well, maybe if I had some money left over from my bathroom... but I want a nice bathroom. [Wink]

I'm sure that anyone here would give away a large portion of their money. But it's very difficult to say what is selfish and what isn't. mean, should it be done by percentage? Surely not. So does that mean that you're being more selfish unless you give away as much money as you can possibly afford? I don't really know.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:07      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Tell my HMO that they can go to hell. And pay off my college loans. So I'm uncreative - go sue me, now that I'm worth something :-D

Magefile, my first thought was pay bills also. Heck, I don't even need to win the whole thing. I'd be happy with about 25 grand or so. Enough to pay bills, and have a little left over in the bank. Winning enough to buy just a simple home and car would be nice also.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:18      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upgrade to Solid Nitrozanium Superfandom (hopefully via a negotiated lifetime lumpsum payment);

Pay off any personal debts;

Forgive all personal loans;

Support charities that do a good job of delivering needed services, etc. to their clients, i.e.: Catholic Relief Services, Compassion International, and TCI,
and a few others.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh where to start?

Buy my parents a nice big house whereever they want (inevitably, New Brunswick.)

Buy myself a nice house near theirs in New Brunswick.

Buy myself a nice condo on a really high floor in an apartment building in downtown Toronto.

Have the ultimate GC m00t. (No seriously.) I'd fly all the regulars and their significant others (probably not kids though, who knows what could happen at one of these, right? [Wink] )

I'd fly us all to a sweet resort in Hawaii or something. It'd be a weekend long. It'd be awesome.

I'd invest a bunch.

And use some money to get my business to the way I want it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacMaster
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:29      Profile for MacMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hire Herman Zimmerman to make me a Star Trek house. I don't know for certain which era, maybe a bit of both. Have a TNG section, DS9 section, Voyager and DS( aren't that much different. Maybe a TOS section too. Then I'd have SF Uniforms made in all sizes for guests to wear when they enter. No 21st century clothes would be allowed. Only 23rd and above. You might think I missed Enterprise, but no, I was never too impressed with their outfits or set design.

BTW, making a spaceship like SpaceShipOne would cost a lot more than 100 Million.

Posts: 31 | From: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:36      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing I would do is get a nanny for the kids then go out for a week long drinking/party binge. The when I manage to sober up I would go straight to the Apple store (The Sothtown one not MOA) And just go around and say "I'll take that one and that one and that one And a couple of thoes" And every one in my family will get a new computer with a check of course.

Then I would get a modest house and gas efficiant car. My son and I don't take up all that much room. But it would have to be at leaste 3 bedroom so I can have a room for my youngest when he comes to stay.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:38      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of one more thing I would buy:

A whole lot of Garlic Guy's BBQ sauce. I haven't had any yet. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 07:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl,

PM me with a mailing address and I'll send you a belated birthday present.

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 08:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only person here who thinks $365 million pre-tax isn't a 'lot' of money?

Sure it's a bunch, but if I got it I wouldn't go on a massive spending spree. I'd want to invest most of it, largely for savings.

With /some/ of the money:
Rest a bit
Travel a bit
Get a proper colo box

Find a very comfortable place to call home
Rest a bit more after that

Start up a consulting group

Offer funding to some of my favorite open source projects, and the EFF. I'd like to support the FSF, but I am not willing to back the ravings of RMS.

Hell, I'd probably give some funds to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation -- they really do good.

Did I mention "rest?" [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 17, 2006 08:29      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Pamela has a bunch of people she'd like to give money or things to (cars and whatnot). One of my biggest challenges would be keeping her from giving too much away.

First thing I'd do is send Pamela on a trip to Europe for a month or two, with a generous amount of spending money (say $100K or so). That'd keep her happy and give me some time to figure out what all else needs to be done.

I'd go to a competent financial advisor and ask him, "How much of this would I need to invest, and in what, to ensure us an after-tax income of, say, $100,000 per year in perpetuity?" Then, depending on the answer, I'd say, "Double it," "Triple it," or whatever I thought was necessary. That would keep us secure, at least.

A house would be a given; we would probably have to build. We'd need to find a nice large tract of land, preferably somewhere where we could get high-speed Internet access, then build a house on it. We'd stay in the general Denver region...maybe someplace like Genessee. Pamela would also want a condo on the West Coast, houses in places like Turkey (maybe Istanbul, maybe Bodrum) and Finland, and maybe also a Boston flat.

Cars! Pamela would want an SUV, while I'd get a nice executive-class sedan (Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, whatever). Then, for "fun times," I'd get a Corvette (it's a family thing), while Pamela would look for a classic Camaro like the one her late boyfriend used to own. One more thing...I'd do some detective work to track down what happened to my father's old 1959 Corvette, which he bought, had mostly restored, and then had to sell because of the divorce, and, if possible, I'd buy it, have whatever restoration work was left to do on it finished, and give it back to my father. He's missed that car ever since he had to give it up; he's 60 now and retired, and I think he deserves it. (No, I don't want it for myself. Mine would be a new 2006 model, with all the bells and whistles, but I'd get it in silver, the same color as Dad's.)

Needless to say, Electric Minds would be on a firm footing, and I would FINALLY have time to sit down and rewrite Venice the way I want it, to provide all the functionality I ever envisioned. (Still open-source, of course.) Then I would host it on even beefier hardware than our new server, in a professionally colocated environment. EMinds, naturally, would stay free forever, no ads or anything. And I'm hoping I could grow it into the nucleus of a network of community sites, dedicated to freedom of expression for all, without government or corporate interference. And I have some other ideas for open-source projects I'd want to work on, too.

Pamela would be the traveler of the family; I'd probably tend to stay on one place, to keep things coordinated, especially her Internet access. (Hey, maybe we could produce Web-based reports on the places she's visiting, ala Globe Trekker. She's always wanted to be like Justine.)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:19      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I'd take care of my debts, and make sure my family is taken care of (nothing really extravagant, just secure). I'd then go back to finish my Master's degree (finally without having to work at the same time).

I'd donate a bit of money to my church. I'd also probably donate towards a building at my alma mater, and get some places named after a few of my favorite professors and co-workers around campus, as well as set up a scholarship or two.

I'd also donate to a few different charities, upgrade my membership here, and do some traveling.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 10:23      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least 10% would go to various charities. I would pay off all my debts, set up a college fund for Kaitlin, buy a house for me, each of my parents and in-laws, sell my car and buy a hybrid, get more bookshelves, get more books, and buy speakers for the computer. Maybe and LCD monitor as well.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacMaster
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 11:05      Profile for MacMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
sell my car and buy a hybrid,

Awesome, that's so what I would totally do. I think the Prius is so cool looking, even if it wasn't a hybrid I still want one. I love the power button instead of having to use keys. i dunno, it just looks so cool to me.
Posts: 31 | From: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zantabar
Newbie Larva
Member # 4902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 11:05      Profile for Zantabar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well id keep around 20 mil for myself for cool gadgets and what not to live happily rver after.

then id give 1 mil to each of my bros and parents.

the rest around 85 mil id give it to charity.

Posts: 8 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 7 posted February 17, 2006 17:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to my frequent use of the gag "If I win the lottery, I would buy you a soda", the first thing I would do is start making a very long list of people to whom I owe sodas.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 18:39      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
365 million

That is 1 million a day for a whole year....

Errm

Pay me debts (drop in ocean), buy fantastic house, 1 flash car and a nice one for everyday use

Set up parents and siblings and my kids and theirs in a "comfortable" position

Buy enough investment so as to be "above comfortable regardless" forever after

Maybe even buy a minor stake in the Print Co. I work at

Buy even more stupid old Mac kit and keep some back for even newer kit/software.

Either give up my job and become a wandering Mac/Design Evangelist or just carry on doing what I do best and love most and try and get younger people who're really interested to consider learning what I do

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 19:11      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd buy a case of soda. A lot of them

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture