homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Heh, Dick Cheney (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Heh, Dick Cheney
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted February 13, 2006 16:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoo-boy!

Shoot first, see what you shot at later, check with Karl Rove on how you'll spin the story in the mean time.

Here's how the traditionally conservative Forbes reports it:

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/02/13/ap2522966.html

"Cheney Violates Cardinal Rule of Hunting"

They oughta expect wire taps and classification to "enemy combant" real soon if they keep writing like that!

True Righties, are buying the "Serves the sucker right for getting in the way of the bullet" defense, just like Rush and Sean and Bill tell 'em.

If they weren't so dangerous, they'd be funny.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 18:25      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think a man with his heart condition should not be allowed to handle an armed rifle. Nonetheless be allowed to help run our country. Though I imagine rifle bearing old men with a history of heart conditions are the least of the Office's troubles...

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 18:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...They said the same thing about FDR. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 20:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2006/02/satire-us-government-plans-cheney.html

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:06      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell, Cheney appears to have violated one of the four cardinal rules of gun safety: "Be sure of your target and what's behind it." The fact that shot from a shotgun spreads (in a cone with its apex at the muzzle) didn't help matters any. Thankfully, it didn't turn out tragically, as it easily could have.

Still, I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than carpool with Ted Kennedy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:21      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you've never been quail/dove hunting before. The old Dude walked around the end of the gun line without letting Cheney know where he was. Cheney had the full sweep and the old dude wlked into it. When you follow a bird you know ahead of time where you should stop. Old Dude admittedly walked up beside Dick and when the bird flew around the end of the gun line there was grampaw!

Never shot anyone (by accident) but understand how it can happen.

-

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:32      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do have a point, Chesty. The other guy was pretty dumb to walk downrange of Cheney without making him aware of what he was doing. But, as the one firing the gun, Cheney does bear responsibility for what his shot hits. This is elementary gun-safety stuff, the kind of thing responsible instructors will pound into your head before you so much as pick up a piece.

1. All guns are always loaded. Period.
2. Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are lined up on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what's behind it.

(I'm coming down on Cheney pretty hard, even though I'm nominally on his side, because, as someone who accepts the responsibility of handling a firearm, he should know better, damn it. This sort of thing can give all gun owners and gun enthusiasts a bad name.)

EDIT: If you think "guns are not for fun," you've probably never been to an IDPA, IPSC, or Cowboy Action Shooting event. But please note that each of these events has strict safety protocols designed to prevent people from being hurt.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:51      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
...They said the same thing about FDR. [ohwell]

The polio was pretty well hidden, was it not? Besides which, the original argument aside, there is a big difference between a health issue that is stable (damaged nerves caused by polio) and one that could potentially go south at an inopportune moment (a heart problem). Not to say he should or shouldn't be VP on health issues, just that there is a really big diff.

The pathologization of disability is a very Bad Thing that does nobody any favors.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 00:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard there were reliable intelligence reports that the old dude had Quails of Mass Destruction.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 06:03      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
You'd think a man with his heart condition should not be allowed to handle an armed rifle. Nonetheless be allowed to help run our country. Though I imagine rifle bearing old men with a history of heart conditions are the least of the Office's troubles...

1. He wasn't using a rifle, it was a SHOTGUN.
and
2. What about his health should keep him from handling a rifle or a shotgun?
ohh, and
3. Cheney now has the worst aim of anyone in the White House since Clinton

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 06:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I heard there were reliable intelligence reports that the old dude had Quails of Mass Destruction.

I'd like to know why he was hunting the Quayles in the first place; they're on the same side ostensibly. Besides, if they were having a disagreement one would expect them to duke it out in a spelling bee.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 09:13      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy,

There is a history of Vice Presidents shooting people. Just look at Aaron Burr and what he did to Alexander Hamilton. [Smile]

Of course Hamilton and Burr didn't exactly see eye to eye on everything.

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 09:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I heard on ABC radio news this morning that Cheney lacked the appropriate "bird stamp" to even be hunting. Has anyone else heard that? Did I misunderstand? And if he was hunting without the proper papers, is he going to pay the damn fine?

And one more thing - if you're gong to hunt, wear orange for the love of Pete (and don't shoot at big orange things)!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 09:20      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I thought I heard on ABC radio news this morning that Cheney lacked the appropriate "bird stamp" to even be hunting. Has anyone else heard that? Did I misunderstand? And if he was hunting without the proper papers, is he going to pay the damn fine?

And one more thing - if you're gong to hunt, wear orange for the love of Pete (and don't shoot at big orange things)!

I did hear that he was missing the stamp, but that he corrected it by paying the $7 when he realized the mistake. Whether or not it's technically legal to pay for a missing stamp after the fact, I have to wonder.

As far as orange vests, the article says they were both wearing them.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 10:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

I did hear that he was missing the stamp, but that he corrected it by paying the $7 when he realized the mistake. Whether or not it's technically legal to pay for a missing stamp after the fact, I have to wonder.

As far as orange vests, the article says they were both wearing them.

According to what I read, bird hunting without that particular stamp is punishable with a written warning the first time since it's kind of common. Mr Cheney was given that written warning.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 11:31      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many here have ever shot a bird on wing?
I have...

I'm not gonna be too hard because that could have happened to me.

Now the press is all upset because he didn't call them up saturday night and announce "I just shot my friend."

At least he didn't leave his friend to die in a sunken car and not alert authorities until the tide went out, exposing the car.....

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 11:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<sings>
People ask me how I do it
And I say there's nothing to it
I just stand there looking cute
And if something moves I shoot !

So there's ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now
Two game wardens
Seven hunters
And a pure-bred jersey cow !
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 13:19      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
How many here have ever shot a bird on wing?
I have...

I was a fairly avid hunter much of my life. And I have been shot, not once, but twice while bird hunting (pheasants once and doves once, never quail). It is inexcusable in my mind, requires only that one be more focused on downing a bird than on the safety of the humans in the vicinity.

The man needs to step up, announce his "Mea Culpa", take his lumps and be done with it.

Just for your information, Chesty: I was also shot in the face. 12 Gauge at about 30 yards. No pellets hit my eyes, but two were very close. The medicos removed all the pellets the same day in the emergency room with tweezers and a little scalpel. The removal hurt much worse than the blast, but both hurt like hell. It was the closest I have ever come to killing another human.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 14:27      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas
*someone explained this to me...never mind. Did not know a bullet could land in three places. [crazy]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 14:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
quote:
Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas
*someone explained this to me...never mind. Did not know a bullet could land in three places. [crazy]
Shotgun w/pellets.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 14:56      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that a some sources have been saying that Cheney hit Whittington with buckshot (I believe I heard it on Public Radio this morning). Some of the more knowledgeable may correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't buckshot just a tad large to be taking down quail? It sounds like an error in reporting, most likely.

Edit: Unless, as Garlicguy commented, they were hunting Quayle, in which case buckshot would have been about right. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 15:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top Ten Dick Cheney Excuses

10. "Heart palpitation caused trigger finger to spasm"

9. "Wanted to get the Iraq mess off the front page"

8. "Not enough Jim Beam"

7. "Trying to stop the spread of bird flu"

6. "I love to shoot people"

5. "Guy was making cracks about my lesbian daughter"

4. "I thought the guy was trying to go 'gay cowboy' on me"

3. "Excuse? I hit him, didn't I?"

2. "Until Democrats approve medicare reform, we have to make some
tough choices for the elderly"

1. "Made a bet with Gretzky's wife"

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 16:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheney should be allowed to hunt all he wants, but he should be required to carry one of these and one of these at all times. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 17:33      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo: ... Thankfully, it didn't turn out tragically, as it easily could have. ...
Wrong! If he killed the guy it would be the best thing for our country. It would have reduced Cheney's power. It would be a shame for Whittington, but sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 18:18      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo: ... Thankfully, it didn't turn out tragically, as it easily could have. ...
Wrong! If he killed the guy it would be the best thing for our country. It would have reduced Cheney's power. It would be a shame for Whittington, but sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Wishful thinking. It was quickly classified as an accident, and there were witnesses around to corraborate that conclusion. There might be a little more yelling from his political opposition, but what else is new?

The only change is that Whittington's next-of-kin would be in the position to decide about attempting to file charges and/or filing a civil suit.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture