homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » My own website/portfolio - Comments and criticism please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My own website/portfolio - Comments and criticism please!
Cyraq
Newbie Larva
Member # 4893

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 10, 2006 12:02      Profile for Cyraq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.NadimKobeissi.net

It's been recently redesigned. Comments please!
Thanks!

--------------------
Web Design - www.NadimKobeissi.net

Posts: 5 | From: Lebanon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:12      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that layout!

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The machine I am on right now has IE 5.5 [blush] and I see some over lapping of tiles (now sure what the real term is) on the 'About' page....also I saw a few spelling mistakes. Other than that it looks good.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:28      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using IE6 at 800x600 and I'm having to scroll back and forth. Personally, I find left-right scrolling to be an annoyance.

Also, don't you want the pages to load quickly, not slow? Your pitch says your pages load "slow." Just an artifact of translation, I guess.

Cap'n already mentioned spelling errors. There was also one mistaken use of "their" (the possessive) instead of "there."

Neat colors. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks fine in Firefox 1.5 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060205 Firefox/1.5 ID:2006020505).

It's probably because IE's CSS capabilities suck. [Razz] That said, it's a good idea to learn what the CSS quirks are of different browsers, and to be sure to design accordingly. i.e. It gives a very bad impression to potential clients if your site doesn't render properly on major platforms.

Welcome - stick around awhile. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 13:38      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vic, that's a bug in IE 5.x ... I've got the same problem, but I don't wanna give up the CSS and go back to tables.

Horizontal scrolling is evil, but I don't have that problem with FF on Linux... Using a higher resolution though.

Site needs more content... But, I suspect that that is comming.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 14:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Vic, that's a bug in IE 5.x ... I've got the same problem, but I don't wanna give up the CSS and go back to tables.

Not relevant -- if s/he wants to portray professional webpages, they need to hack around or somehow properly know how to layout in *at least ie 5.5.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 14:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, yeah. It's really pretty! Are you really only 15/16? [Eek!]

You did such a good job with your site looks-wise, wanna take a look at mine and tell me what you'd do differently? Max coded it in CSS for me (THANK YOU MAX!!!), and I played with the colors, but that's about tapped out my creativity. I wish there were some way to get my Xanga blog to show up as a part of the site since that's what gets updated the most nowadays.

http://rhonwyyn.silver-blade.net

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 16:57      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design is very nice. Far better than mine, but then, graphic design never was one of my talents.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:54      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the site looks great (in Firefox on a mac)! The only problem I had was that I had to scroll horizontally. I'm using Firefox on a 1024 x 768 screen.

There are a few places where the English could be cleaned up. It's nothing serious, just send me a private message for some suggestions.

At any rate, it's better than the design for this site. [Wink]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cyraq
Newbie Larva
Member # 4893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 23:23      Profile for Cyraq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! thanks for the quick opinions about my site; the site works well under IE6 and FF and doesnt show any horizontal scroll bars as long as the site is being viewed full-screen on any resolution bigger than 800x600 (and according to my stats system, only 3% have that resolution (or less))

IE5.% sucks so much that i decided never to do a website thats compatible with it [Razz]

And yes, i'm only 15. Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum guys. i've been reading the joyoftech comics for years and hope to enjoy my stay here.

--------------------
Web Design - www.NadimKobeissi.net

Posts: 5 | From: Lebanon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
JRisDead
Newbie Larva
Member # 4929

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 17:27      Profile for JRisDead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cyraq:
www.NadimKobeissi.net

It's been recently redesigned. Comments please!
Thanks!

Very nice graphics. Maybe I better put up a link somehwere too.

--------------------
Now ya done it!

http://www.usapatriotsamerica.com/forum/index.php

Posts: 9 | From: Chica | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

Not relevant -- if s/he wants to portray professional webpages, they need to hack around or somehow properly know how to layout in *at least ie 5.5.
In I.E. 6 and above, it's not an issue. The code can be XHTML standard and CSS standard, and in I.E. 5.x It'll have this error. Not to mention that there have been serious security updates since I.E. 5. So if they see the issue, they're looking for trouble.

Sorry to necropost, but I thought it relavent.

There is a published hack to get arround this bug, but it is a hack (though using it, you can still build standards compliant sites).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture