homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - gifts you didn't love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - gifts you didn't love
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 10:16      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I got a gift the other day that made me want to say "Were you thinking of me and my personal likes when you purchased this?" So I thought this might make a fun Friday Five.

1. What is the worst gift you ever got?

2. Do you feel it is okay to regift a present later?

3. Have you ever given a gift that was totally wrong, but you realized too late? What was it?

4. Is it bad ettiquette to say thank you in an e-mail?

5. What is the most creative thing you ever said about a gift you didn't like, so the giver wasn't offended?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 10:23      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is the worst gift you ever got? I have to say it was a papier mache head. I love hats and received this hideously painted head as a way to display my hats. It was a kind thought, but too scary.

2. Do you feel it is okay to regift a present later? I must admit that I do regift, if I think someone else might like something. I do feel like I have a timeframe though, like I have to wait a year or something. Then you also need to ponder does person X know person Y and will my regifting be discovered.

3. Have you ever given a gift that was totally wrong, but you realized too late? What was it? Yes, I had a friend who was thinking about going to massage school. She and her husband were always all over each other. So I got her a book on partner massage for her birthday and said this was her chance to practice for school. Didn't know they were secretly pondering a divorce, which they got. Ooops!

4. Is it bad ettiquette to say thank you in an e-mail? I do sometimes, but always hope the other person won't be offended that it is not a handwritten note.

5. What is the most creative thing you ever said about a gift you didn't like, so the giver wasn't offended? Must admit that I am not too creative. I just smile a lot and say how nice. I then hope saying this won't mean I get more of whatever in the future

Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 11:21      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a sweatshirt from my mother. Oh god, it was purple and furry.. [crazy]

As long as they don't know about it, why not..

3. Have you ever given a gift that was totally wrong, but you realized too late? What was it?
A blue glass vase for my grandmother. It is still the only blue thing in her house.

Depends, but if someone cares about you and gives you a present, at least deserves a call.

5. What is the most creative thing you ever said about a gift you didn't like, so the giver wasn't offended?
Mom I love purple! Thanks.. I think I'll cry now.. [cry baby]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 11:27      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

Had to be the dark brown tweed knit sweater and skirt set I received from my then future mother-in-law the first or second year I was dating my ex-husband. It would have been okay if it were plain, but the applique tiger with gold lame accents on the front of the sweater just put it over the top. The fact that this was in the late 80s explains only so much.

quote:

Only if it is absolutely undiscernible as a re-gift. If it's obvious that you're giving it to get rid of it, re-gifting is not okay. This is a lesson my mother needs to learn. I don't think she's given me anything new for Christmas in the last few years. I could tell that what she gave me were regifted items her co-workers gave her and she didn't like. Not that they are bad things, really, just painfully and obviously things I would not care for. Ever. I know she's on a limited budget and that may be why she's doing it, but I've asked her not to give me anything in that case, and she still persists.

quote:

I can't say that I have. I'm really particular, careful and considerate about what I give as gifts. See above - I'll give someone nothing, or a gift card, before giving them something totally wrong.

quote:

I'm the wrong person to ask. My mother never had me write thank you notes when I was a kid. I grew up totally oblivious to them.

quote:

I've lied, creating a reason or instance in which the gift could be worn, consumed, or otherwise used. Usually they're rather pedestrian lies though, like "Thanks, that's my favorite perfume!" (I hate most perfumes.) Thankfully the following year my boss gave me a gift certificate to a yarn shop, hitting on the perfect gift. [Smile]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 11:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing immediately comes to mind.

Not really, no.

Sorry, no.

Not at all!

Nothing. I'm usually just like, "cool!" regardless of whether its a good gift or not.

edit: this is my worst. post. ever. (And that takes effort. [Wink] )

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:29      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst gift: well, there's that frying pan my mom gave me. (Thanks, mom, but I usually buy my own household items when I need them.) But worse was that one Christmas when three or four different people gave me bath products. (Do I smell that bad? That's another thing I usually prefer to buy myself, as I have my favorites, and I don't like every frangraces.)

Regifting: I don't do it, cause even the worse gift show they cared. Apart than that, I'd feel mildly annoyed to discover someone gave away I gift I've done, but it's rather a ego twitch than something I feel inappropriate, and if it fits the new receiver better, well, why not!

Giving the wrong gift? I don't remember any of that case. I take a lot of care in choosing the gifts I do. When I don't know what to give, I try to go for something totally unexpected and wild, or cool looking but totally useless. This gives me the "surprise" edge. And if I'm still not sure, I can have a "plan B" gift.

Thank you notes: count me another one who don't write thank-you notes. In the family, when we receive a gift, the giver is usually there, so we thank them right away. Othewise, I'll do it the next time we meet. On the other hand, I'm sure there are some people who would love to receive a thank you note...

Creative answer to bad gift: I don't have any. I put most efforts in trying not to show any deception, so I usually go "Ah, c'est bien!" ("Well, that's nice!"). I'm getting better at it, now that I prepare myself by assuming my gifts will sucks. (Pretty much like going to a movie: if you go with low expectations, it's hard to feel shortchanged.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 15:19      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A sweatshirt for my 8th birthday with a picture of Vanilla Ice. It was a gift from my aunt and it was extremely heavy.

quote:
No, not unless it is an extremely basic gift. Example: a gift from a co-worker as a secret santa. But only if you follow the rules that Aditu stated.

quote:
No. I am usually the one who buys something completely different from everyone else but making sure it fits the person’s personality. If not...gift card.

quote:
4. Is it bad etiquette to say thank you in an e-mail?
I was not raised with thank you notes either but if you are not able to say thank you in person when the gift is received than a call should be done.

quote:
Whether I like it or not, it is the thought that counts.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Not sure, but the sticks of incense I got this Xmess were odd. I don't burn incense. I thought people knew that. But I got some really cool shit too.

2) Only at a white elephant, where re-gifting is the point.

3) I gave my aunt toe socks one year. Too bad she has lots of extra webbing between her toes (family trait; my sisters have it too).

4) Better than nothing I say.

5) Hmmm. Not sure.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 17:24      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cool, Xanthine! My family has webbed toes too. However it is a recessive gene or something because it is dying out. None of my mom's grandkids had webbed toes.
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 23:26      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, there! I've been reading the board for awhile but I've never posted... Thought I would join in! [Smile]
quote:
Well I got a gift the other day that made me want to say "Were you thinking of me and my personal likes when you purchased this?" So I thought this might make a fun Friday Five.

Well... I don't think I've ever gotten any terrible gifts but I seem to have bad luck when it comes to multiples. One year I got 5 scarves and 3 identical Harry Potter calenders.

Maybe if it's something generic... I really try to be thoughtful when I give a gift. I know I'd be upset if someone regifted something I gave them so I think it's ok sometimes but mostly no.

Like I said above I try to be thoughtful and I don't think I've ever disapointed anyone with inappropriate gifts.

I didn't used to think so but after I e-mailed my Grandparents to tell them thank you for a gift my mother promply called to tell me that they thought I was being tacky.

Thank you so much for the hotel soap, Grandma, it's just great! [Big Grin] Oh, well [Roll Eyes] It's the thought that counts.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 08:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How cool, Xanthine! My family has webbed toes too. However it is a recessive gene or something because it is dying out. None of my mom's grandkids had webbed toes.

THe trait's hanging in there in mine. It's a hallmark of my mother's father's line and Mom and all her siblings have it. Of us kids, I have a little bit of extra webbing, and then it gets worse according to birth order...my youngests sister's toes separate at the top knuckle!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 14:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A book about football. I hate football.

Yes, if it is done sensitively, it is just recycling.

Not really wrong, but I have given gifts that other people duplicated. It is usually taken in good humour.

This would depend entirely on the particular situation. But generally, face to face is better.

"ooh lovely... a book about football." [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 17:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd have to be a toss-up between a tight-fitting, pastel-shaded Tommy Hilfiger (racist sweatshop bastard) outfit, bought in a shop across the country, so that I couldn't return it for something easier on my conscience...or the Gap gift cards that I get from my relatives every year around the holidays.

Sure, I do it plenty. My friends have recieved most of the hand cream/body lotion/perfume gift baskets that my aunts love to give me...I don't wear chemical perfume, they do, they love the stuff, and it doesn't cost me anything to give 'em.

A friend of mine is a huge medeival history buff, and she thinks that the Landsknechts were the coolest, so I got her a DVD of "Flesh + Blood," the Rutger Hauer flick. I hadn't seen it at the time, so that I didn't know that there was a super-graphic rape scene...and she'd come close to being date-raped previously.

I guess I dug up a few trauma flashbacks for her, unwittingly.

I don't think so...it saves money on stamps and thank-you notes. Besides, why the societal expectation to shell out for a card when the emphasis should be placed on the acknowledgement and appreciation of the gift?

You know, I'm a shitty liar. I'll usually say something like, "Hey, this is cool!" and nothing more.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 17:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Socks. Odor-eaters brand socks at that.

If the gift is something that someone else really wants, why not. I have a bunch of really bizarre and unique things that I've been given or gotten for myself. Occasionally I find I have the perfect item for someone I know, so I generally give it to them. Often for no particular reason other than that I enjoy giving gifts. Screw waiting for holidays [Smile]

Not exactly. I usually know in advance that I'm giving something totally wrong. The most recent one was a $10 booklet of gift checks for KFC given to a PETA activist.

That depends on who you're saying thank you to. What -you- think is appropriate doesn't matter. What matters is what the person you're thanking thinks. Some people would prefer a phone call, some would prefer a hand written thank you note and some would be fine with an email. You should consider the person and respond to them by whatever means -they- would consider most appropriate.

Unless it's a crappy gift [Smile]

I don't really say creative things about the gifts I do like, much less the ones I don't. I rarely say more than the basic "thank you" and "I like it". I kinda suck in that respect.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 20:24      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Not exactly. I usually know in advance that I'm giving something totally wrong. The most recent one was a $10 booklet of gift checks for KFC given to a PETA activist.

Nice... People for the Eating of Tasty Animals [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 08:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Daniélín Aine!
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 10:41      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Thanks for the welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 11:21      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having Harry Birmass (Happy Birthday + Merry Christmass), I get an awful lot of presents that are meant to be for both... The last few years, I really haven't gotten anything for my birthday except from one of my grandmothers and from girl.

The worst was probably from my Great Grandmother when I was in my early teens... I got a clown that walked arround and made a lot of noise. I don't think she realized how old I really was.

It stayed in the back of my closet for the longest time... When we moved, I finally was rid of it.

I haven't, but I don't think that it is wrong to regift if it's in perfect condition and the person your giving it to would use it more than you do.

Well, I bought fairly heavy, very pretty cloth ponchos for my mother and grandmother one year. My grandmother wears hers arround the house when it gets cold... My mother on the other hand, has never worn it.

Why would it be? It think thanking someone in an e-mail is better than not thanking them... My family oft' just says "thanks" when they open it, we're not big on "Thank You" cards and the like.

Nothing creative, just thank them and smile.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 13:00      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was an XXL tshirt from my then boyfriend. When I said it looked like it'd be too big he then responded that it looked like the only tshirt there that would fit me. I was so aghast.

Um, it's not okay if it's just like "OMG I FORGOT A GIFT!" so you grab whatevers in your closet but if someone says "Oh, that looks really nifty." then it's okay to give it to them.

Um, no I don't think so. I'm usually pretty thoughtful when it comes to my gifts.

Depends on what you're saying thank you too. If someone bought you a diamond ring then it may be bad ettiquette to respond with a simple email.

It's never anything outright creative. Usually I just gasp a lot and say "Thanks, I love it." all wide eyed.

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 13, 2006 04:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
Depends on what you're saying thank you too. If someone bought you a diamond ring then it may be bad ettiquette to respond with a simple email.

Isn't the proper answer, in those cases, "yes, I will!"? (Or some very polite and awkward variation on "no" while refusing to take the ring...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 14:26      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

An cheap plastic picture frame from my dad for my 17th birthday.

I wouldn't do it if I could help it (ie if my money allows) but I often like to dress up a simple present with a more personal touch.

Hrm, I don't think so.

I never understood the whole Thank You card system. Its like a battle of who can out-give each other.

Normally if it is something I don't like, I make a conscious effort to find *something* good about it, and compliment the gift that way.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture